The Student Room Group

Chemistry C1,C2,C3 - May 2014

Hey guys, if you're sitting any of these exams, feel free to share any hints or revision tips on here, or just any cool chemistry related stuff! :biggrin:Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes man, c3 yeahh

Posted from TSR Mobile
CHEMISTRY IS AWESOME.
.. that's all
Some1 ask questions please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheNaughtyOne
Some1 ask questions please

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, how do you answer the how science works questions for Chemistry (well all the sciences)???
Original post by BobThomas3
Hi, how do you answer the how science works questions for Chemistry (well all the sciences)???

Well, you just have to learn the scientific process and literally 'How Science Works'! :tongue:

The normal scientific method is:

1. Ask a question
2. Make a hypothesis
3. Perform experiment
4. Collect data
5. Draw conclusions

You also have to learn about fair tests and different types of variables, as well as being able to describe a graph properly (which is normally more complicated than it seems :tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by majmuh24
Well, you just have to learn the scientific process and literally 'How Science Works'! :tongue:

The normal scientific method is:

1. Ask a question
2. Make a hypothesis
3. Perform experiment
4. Collect data
5. Draw conclusions

You also have to learn about fair tests and different types of variables, as well as being able to describe a graph properly (which is normally more complicated than it seems :tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, more specifically the questions asking 'how can you improve the results of this experiment?' (OWTTE)
Original post by BobThomas3
Thanks, more specifically the questions asking 'how can you improve the results of this experiment?' (OWTTE)

Is it a fair test?
Is there only one variable being changed?
How could uncertainty be introduced into the experiment?
Is there potential for random or experimental error?
Are the conclusions valid?
Is it reliable and reproducible?

You just have to go through all of these things and see if there's one that it doesn't fit in with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by majmuh24
Is it a fair test?
Is there only one variable being changed?
How could uncertainty be introduced into the experiment?
Is there potential for random or experimental error?
Are the conclusions valid?
Is it reliable and reproducible?

You just have to go through all of these things and see if there's one that it doesn't fit in with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much, those questions are always the ones that knock me down marks :frown:
Reply 9
Best revision tip: turn up to the exam
Original post by Sal11
Best revision tip: turn up to the exam
Wow. Thanks a lot for your amazing help.
Hey which exam board is this for?
Is it for OCR 21st Century science?
Original post by Studygeek16
Hey which exam board is this for?
Is it for OCR 21st Century science?

AQA.
Original post by Winading001
AQA.

Oh okay thanks!
No one seems to be doing OCR, its so annoying!!!
How can I prepare for 2 days time? recommendations? I am not very confident with chemistry but I think if I revise now I can do well.
Reply 15
Original post by tridianprime
How can I prepare for 2 days time? recommendations? I am not very confident with chemistry but I think if I revise now I can do well.

Go over bits you're unsure on at http://www.my-gcsescience.com/videos/making-soluble-salts/
Quite worried for C3 actually!
Can someone talk to me about gas chromatography and the mass spectrometer thing (GC-MS) please? :tongue:
And this molecular ion peak thing :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by charlottejyp
Can someone talk to me about gas chromatography and the mass spectrometer thing (GC-MS) please? :tongue:
And this molecular ion peak thing :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bombarded with electrons to ionize, vaporized and accelerated through tube at different speeds depending on mass (F=dρdtF = \dfrac{d \rho}{d t} ), deflected by magnetic field depending on speeds and charges, mass spectrometer detects these and uses them to find out the mass of the elements and the relative composition.

Molecular ion peak corresponds to RMM of molecule with one electron removed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Determined to not **** up this exam after Biology's failure xD So yeah, hopefully it will go well. If anybody has some challenging C2 and C3 questions, please fire them at me now, thanks :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending