The Student Room Group

Footballers aren't overpaid

I personally can't agree with the argument that footballers are overpaid. Some are overpaid considering their profession, such as Wayne Rooney - he's a great player on his day, but does not justify 300k a week at all. However, professional football players have dedicated literally their whole lives to their profession. They would have spent their whole childhood practising day in, day out. Compare that to a teacher or an accountant who would have only trained for their jobs well after the age of 18. Taking into account the sheer number of hours put into the job, the money is well earned.

Not only that, but the generalised comments of 'footballers are overpaid' are always aimed at the select few at the pinnacle of their game. For example the average yearly wage of a League Two footballer, of which there are many, is just 8k a year more than the average UK wage. They will also have spent the majority of their lives training, yet they are definitely not 'overpaid'.

Here is a good quote from Michael Owen on the subject:

‘If you have a skill, which people are prepared to part with their hard-earned cash in order to watch, those with the skill will always command high salaries.

‘Nobody complains if pop stars sell out a stadium and rake in millions from a tour. Nobody complains about the reported weekly salaries, according to Forbes, of sportsmen such as Kobe Bryant (£700k), Roger Federer (£800k), Phil Mickelson (£480k) and Usain Bolt (£290k).
‘What is so different to a footballer earning similar amounts for being at the top of their own particular sport?’

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Scroll to see replies

Forces of demand and supply pays their wages. Basic economics.

If you are good at something, you should be paid more for it
Reply 2
If you're employed by a private company, then that company can pay you whatever the hell they want for you to work there as long as it's above minimum wage. Football clubs are private companies; and they have a lot of money.

Although, it is crazy how much money some of them get. Take Rooney, what is he really going to spend 300k a week on, other than a few more hair transplants?
Reply 3
People like you are what's wrong with this country. "I'm happy to be poor and let others exploit me. I'm happy to support the super-rich and I'll even idolise them from my council house slum."
Reply 4
Original post by Rant
People like you are what's wrong with this country. "I'm happy to be poor and let others exploit me. I'm happy to support the super-rich and I'll even idolise them from my council house slum."

On the contrary, people like you are what is wrong with this country. This country, the government, does not owe you anything. If you want something, go out and earn it. That's what pro sportspeople have done, they have earned it, so they deserve it.
Original post by Rant

I am what's wrong with this country??? I am wrong for saying that people deserve what they've worked hard for? What sort of society would you like to live in? Footballers aren't exploiting me. I go to watch football matches because I enjoy it. I don't idolise them (well, not many!), I despise a lot of them yet I believe they earn what they get paid. When you go to the cinema, are you being exploited by the 'super-rich' actors and directors? Nope, didn't think so. PS I don't live in a 'council house slum'.
Reply 6
Original post by Rant

If you think they are overpaid, how much they are they worth?
Reply 7
Original post by Asciant
On the contrary, people like you are what is wrong with this country. This country, the government, does not owe you anything. If you want something, go out and earn it. That's what pro sportspeople have done, they have earned it, so they deserve it.

Earn it? Were you dropped as a child?

You think these people are more hard-working than your average worker? They're just lucky that a) they were born talented and b) their parents pushed them into a lucrative career from an early age.

They're not heroes, they're not anything special, and they certainly don't deserve to be paid millions.
Reply 8
I dont think they are necessarily overpaid but something is wrong when someone pays £35 million for Andy Carroll
Original post by Rant

You think these people are more hard-working than your average worker? They're just lucky that a) they were born talented and b) their parents pushed them into a lucrative career from an early age.

They're not heroes, they're not anything special, and they certainly don't deserve to be paid millions.

Yes, the vast majority are much more hard-working, train daily and miss their families for whole weekends travelling. The average worker never thought about their job long before getting it and work Monday-Friday on the same pay (almost) as League Two footballers.
Original post by Smxth
I dont think they are necessarily overpaid but something is wrong when someone pays £35 million for Andy Carroll

Yes, some things are blown out of proportion but I'm talking about the general picture.
Reply 11
Too hard to generalise. Reckon strikers should be paid on a pay as you score rate, Torres would be going hungry :colone:
Reply 12
I disagree with the view that those other people are not thought of as overpayed. The fact is, they're being paid because they've got natural talent, and people are sore that they can't earn the same amount through hard work. It's pretty simple economics, and while some professional footballers earn a disgusting amount of money, there's no logical reason that they shouldn't be allowed to.
Original post by Rant

So you'd prefer it if the money stayed in the hands of billionaire businessmen, meaning less taxes paid would you? Inb4 "I bet they don't pay any tax anyway!!11!"
Football clubs earn millions, the players are the ones earning the team millions therefore they earn a fair wage, if you take the players away then the club earns zero therefore the players certainly are worth the high wages they command.
Original post by hello101010
So you'd prefer it if the money stayed in the hands of billionaire businessmen, meaning less taxes paid would you? Inb4 "I bet they don't pay any tax anyway!!11!"

Yeah, all footballers pay all the taxes they should; none of them use offshore banking, tax avoidance or tax evading schemes to keep more of the money they 'earn' by running up and down and not being able to score a goal between 22 of them a lot of the time. Oh, wait...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lasershark
Yeah, all footballers pay all the taxes they should; none of them use offshore banking or tax evading schemes to keep more of the money they 'earn' by running up and down and not being able to score a goal between 22 of them a lot of the time. Oh, wait...

I'm sure they pay the majority of their taxes. And even if they only pay, say, half of the taxes they should, well:
1) Half of 100k a week is better than half of 10k a week
2) it's the government's job to close the loophole

Also, if the attackers of one team can't score a goal then that's down to the good play of the defenders from the other team, so that's a pretty stupid thing to say tbh.
They R payed accordingly to how the market sees fit. Overpaid imo but I don't complain unless the player is not good enough eg Rooney lol
I think people probably see the likes of Federer or Mickelson slightly differently because they don't have a wage, or at least they don't with regards to their actual tennis or golf playing. One week they may get $1m prize money and then the next they may get $25k. Still a tidy very tidy sum but I guess the fact that we can see the earning of their money and understand why they got more this week than last week means people are less bothered by it.

I agree with the main point. Footballers aren't overpaid.
(edited 9 years ago)
If I had to name one person in Britain who I would prefer to not be earning circa £15 M pa it would be Wayne flippin Rooney the fat oaf. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest