The Student Room Group

AQA B GCSE Modern World History Paper One: International Relations 16th MAY

This is the thread for those taking AQA B GCSE Modern World History this year, you will do three of the following topics:
1. The Origins of the First World War
2. Peacemaking 1919-1919 and the League of Nations
3. Hitler's foreign policy and the origins of the Second World War
4. The Origins of the Cold War 1945-1955
5. Crises of the Cold War 1955-1970
6. Failure of Detente and the collapse of communism 1970-1991

Good luck:biggrin:
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
This is the thread for those taking AQA B GCSE Modern World History this year, you will do three of the following topics:
1. The Origins of the First World War
2. Peacemaking 1919-1919 and the League of Nations
3. Hitler's foreign policy and the origins of the Second World War
4. The Origins of the Cold War 1945-1955
5. Crises of the Cold War 1955-1970
6. Failure of Detente and the collapse of communism 1970-1991

Good luck:biggrin:

I'm doing the first three.
Any practice questions that haven't come up yet?
thanks!
Original post by Bloom77
I'm doing the first three.
Any practice questions that haven't come up yet?
thanks!

Umm, what I would do are write and answer 10 markers, so select two events and see which one created more tension/led to outbreak etc.
Does anyone know how much you have to analyse the sources for the 6-mark questions? As in, would it be enough to say "this source is unlikely to give an accurate view of events as it is a British cartoon, written to provoke a feeling of hatred towards Hitler", or would you need to elaborate on that?
Umm, what I would do are write and answer 10 markers, so select two events and see which one created more tension/led to outbreak etc.

For the 10 mark question, example:
What caused the the outbreak of WW1 more?
- The Abyssinian crisis
- The Bosnian Crisis

1) You don't need an introduction so just go straight onto describing and explaining the events of the Abyssinian crisis.
2) Now you have to evaluate, imagine the examiner is saying 'So what?, why are you telling me this?', this is where you hhave to explain the effects.
3) Second paragraph - describe and explain the bosnian crisis
4) Analyse and evaluate
5) Conclude - Say your opinion - which one was the more important in the outbreak of WW1 more? You can repeat yourself, here, you just give the effects again, but really point out why.

hope I helped :smile:
Original post by MrVirtuoso
Does anyone know how much you have to analyse the sources for the 6-mark questions? As in, would it be enough to say "this source is unlikely to give an accurate view of events as it is a British cartoon, written to provoke a feeling of hatred towards Hitler", or would you need to elaborate on that?

Hey,
I think that's a perfect answer to get 1 mark.
If it was a picture, you have to first analyse the source:
What does it show?
Is it a poster?
What's the purpose of this poster?
Who is it aimed at?
If it's a cartoon, you can also say: This cartoon of Kaiser Wilhelm II is used to mock him and make fun of him as it is exaggerated.
Also say, if it's reliable/Accurate/ bias :smile:
Also, your first sentence could be about the provenance of the source, so your basically copying what the question says and you'll get one mark easily. Now, you have to give your own knowledge, so:
'This source talks about the Manchurian crisis....then explain the crisis'
Your giving your own knowledge which is level 3/4
After doing this you'll get full marks I guess
I hate source questions

I'm not sure what to do for the worded source questions, I find that harder.
Original post by Bloom77
For the 10 mark question, example:
What caused the the outbreak of WW1 more?
- The Abyssinian crisis
- The Bosnian Crisis

1) You don't need an introduction so just go straight onto describing and explaining the events of the Abyssinian crisis.
2) Now you have to evaluate, imagine the examiner is saying 'So what?, why are you telling me this?', this is where you hhave to explain the effects.
3) Second paragraph - describe and explain the bosnian crisis

4) Analyse and evaluate
5) Conclude - Say your opinion - which one was the more important in the outbreak of WW1 more? You can repeat yourself, here, you just give the effects again, but really point out why.

hope I helped :smile:

Umm, Thank you, although I was more so advising you on how to practice, and no offence, but the Abyssinian Crisis was post-First World War, in the Peacemaking and League of Nations Unit. Anyway, thank you for the tips.
Umm, Thank you, although I was more so advising you on how to practice, and no offence, but the Abyssinian Crisis was post-First World War, in the Peacemaking and League of Nations Unit. Anyway, thank you for the tips.

omg, I'm so sorry.
The stress has gotten to me, I meant agadir.
So sorry!
Original post by Bloom77
omg, I'm so sorry.
The stress has gotten to me, I meant agadir.
So sorry!

Thanks, anyway!:biggrin:
Anyone else doing the exam?
Reply 11
when you are given a 10 mark dont go explain the events, maybe you can say what it was in one sentence and then say how it led to war, always refer to the question. I normally write one paragraph for each crisis its asking and then overall, in my conclusion, i write which was more important. If you are looking for an A/A* say why the other reason may not be.
Reply 12
Original post by MrVirtuoso

think SPADO - source, provenance, agree, disagree, own knowledge ( and maybe opinion)
:colondollar:
Original post by tjhardy
when you are given a 10 mark dont go explain the events, maybe you can say what it was in one sentence and then say how it led to war, always refer to the question. I normally write one paragraph for each crisis its asking and then overall, in my conclusion, i write which was more important. If you are looking for an A/A* say why the other reason may not be.

oh, I actually explain the event then say the effects, then same for the other bullet point and then to conclude, I argue my point across.

Quick Reply

Latest