The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry C2/C3 May 15th 2014

Hi guys, what do you think will come up in each exam?

Scroll to see replies

hi !!! was waiting for this thread
haven't had a look at past papers yet so don't have a clue, would love to hear ideas though!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I reckon hard/soft water will definitely come up. Possible questions include,

a) Explain the difference between scale and scum
b) Explain how hard water can be made soft using an ion-exchange column

Also something about the periodic table in the early stages as this has not been common in recent examinations. Example questions are,

c) The periodic table is now based on atomic structure. Explain how
d) Explain in terms of electrons why fluorine is the most reactive element in Group 7

Those are for C3. I also think it's pretty safe to say the 6-marker will not be on titrations because that is what came up last year. The flame test always comes up and you will need to know which substances produce which colour.

Any other suggestions?
Guys can we test each other on exam questions please for C2 and C3. I think it's good practise!
Reply 4
Has anyone got any revision tips for c2 or suggestions on what will come up. I think it's the hardest one
Original post by GoldGhost
Guys can we test each other on exam questions please for C2 and C3. I think it's good practise!

Yeah you're absolutely right :biggrin: - I'll start with some C3 questions:

1) What sort of solution does ammonia form with water?
2) What happens to ammonia in the Haber process?

Good luck!
oh god hard and soft water better come up and haber process
I am so unprepared
Reply 7
Original post by chronicmusic
Yeah you're absolutely right :biggrin: - I'll start with some C3 questions:

1) What sort of solution does ammonia form with water?
2) What happens to ammonia in the Haber process?

Good luck!

1) umm... is that C3? Sounds weird- ionic?
2) It's made from nitrogen and hydrogen gas in a reversible reaction (so it also turns back into them)

EDIT: for 1) are you just looking for alkali actually?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
For C2 i'm hoping that the empirical formula will come up, it's worth 4 marks and I can always do it. :smile:
Reply 9
[QUOTE="Natow;47575174"]For C2 i'm hoping that the empirical formula will come up, it's worth 4 marks and I can always do it. :smile:[/QUOTE

Agreed! It's the best part of the C2 exam for me :biggrin: Argh, not looking forward to C3 at all..
Reply 10
[QUOTE="Simmmi02;47575238"]
Original post by Natow
For C2 i'm hoping that the empirical formula will come up, it's worth 4 marks and I can always do it. :smile:[/QUOTE

Agreed! It's the best part of the C2 exam for me :biggrin: Argh, not looking forward to C3 at all..

I really need to look back at my notes for C3 :s-smilie:
Original post by lerjj
1) umm... is that C3? Sounds weird- ionic?
2) It's made from nitrogen and hydrogen gas in a reversible reaction (so it also turns back into them)

EDIT: for 1) are you just looking for alkali actually?

Yeah alkali is all you need for q1, for q2, although you are not wrong, specifically I was asking for the property changes to ammonia so you could say something like it is cooled until it liquefies - but good job anyway :smile:
Reply 12
Yeah alkali is all you need for q1, for q2, although you are not wrong, specifically I was asking for the property changes to ammonia so you could say something like it is cooled until it liquefies - but good job anyway :smile:

Do I get to go?

3) What happens to the rate of reaction as you increase temperature?
4) Why?
Original post by lerjj
Do I get to go?

3) What happens to the rate of reaction as you increase temperature?
4) Why?

As you increase the temperature then the rate of reaction will increase. This is because the the particles will collide more frequently and resulting in more successful collisions?
Reply 14
Original post by GoldGhost
As you increase the temperature then the rate of reaction will increase. This is because the the particles will collide more frequently and resulting in more successful collisions?

Yes, although they also collide with more energy, so more of the collisions result in successful reactions.
In the specification what is meant by "The relative amounts of all the reacting substances at equilibrium depend on the conditions of the reaction"??
I reckon hard/soft water will definitely come up. Possible questions include,

a) Explain the difference between scale and scum
b) Explain how hard water can be made soft using an ion-exchange column

Also something about the periodic table in the early stages as this has not been common in recent examinations. Example questions are,

c) The periodic table is now based on atomic structure. Explain how
d) Explain in terms of electrons why fluorine is the most reactive element in Group 7

Those are for C3. I also think it's pretty safe to say the 6-marker will not be on titrations because that is what came up last year. The flame test always comes up and you will need to know which substances produce which colour.

Any other suggestions?

Do you think it's possible that they might ask us to draw the structure of a given carboxlyic acid or alcohol?
Original post by AlphaNick
If you've got an equilibrium (two equal-rate forward/backward reactions), adjusting the temperature and pressure will affect the quantity of each reactant (or this imaginary thing called the position of equilibrium).

Thanks!
Original post by hi-zen-berg
Do you think it's possible that they might ask us to draw the structure of a given carboxlyic acid or alcohol?

Yeah, not esters though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Come at me brah

Quick Reply

Latest