The Student Room Group

A-Level 'Russel group' HELP

For my AS subjects i chose biology, geography, photography and chemistry. At uni i'm hoping to do Geography & Politics and i'm struggling with the decision of whether to drop chemistry or photography next year.
As i don't specifically need either for my course I was wondering if it would impact my application to a Russel Group university if I decided to carry on photography- which I would be aiming for an A* next year compared to chemistry which would be lower.
Not totally sure if it would matter as I managed to get onto summer courses for Russel Group uni's and they don't seem to mind.. but it's still a 'soft' subject. I know it's in the same boat as subjects like business studies and sociology etc in regards to academic subjects??:confused::confused::confused:
I think Chemistry would probably look better on your application, but if you think you can get better grades in Photography then go for it.
I only did 3 AS and A-levels, and still have been accepted into Russel Group universities, even after getting 2 A's and a D in my AS. Also, I am doing a BTEC in Applied Science, so I wouldn't worry about Photography being a seen as a 'soft subject'.
Also, your personal statement is almost as important as the grades you get!
Reply 2
Original post by leonneoneill
I think Chemistry would probably look better on your application, but if you think you can get better grades in Photography then go for it.
I only did 3 AS and A-levels, and still have been accepted into Russel Group universities, even after getting 2 A's and a D in my AS. Also, I am doing a BTEC in Applied Science, so I wouldn't worry about Photography being a seen as a 'soft subject'.
Also, your personal statement is almost as important as the grades you get!

Thank you for the advice!what are you studying/hoping to study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jennaxeg
Thank you for the advice!what are you studying/hoping to study?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, hopefully I'll get the grades to study Computer Science at Queens (this is my firm choice).
Reply 4
Long as you have two preferred subjects (i.e. biology and geography are perfect in this case) then there's a bit of wiggle room on the third, usually. If you're still worried then drop an e-mail to the department admissions of a university you're interested in and they'll give you a better indication.

Quick Reply

Latest