The Student Room Group

AQA Gography UNIT 1 : 13th of May 2014

How do the exam go for you guys, I thought it took the piss. None of the case studies I had learned came up apart from fold mountains. Also what did you guys write for the 8 marker on restless Earth.
for that 8 marker on the restless earth I wrote about all the pictures and said thye were related to preparation and protection, and because it said draw from you're own knowledge I wrote about how prediction can mitigate against the effects of eqs
Reply 2
Original post by BrainJuice
How do the exam go for you guys, I thought it took the piss. None of the case studies I had learned came up apart from fold mountains. Also what did you guys write for the 8 marker on restless Earth.

Restless Earth 8-marker... which one was that? My topics were Restless Earth, Water on the Land and Coastal Zone, and like you, I only used a fold mountains case study, which is really disappointing because I've been revising case studies nonstop for the past day!
Reply 3
Original post by edog300
Restless Earth 8-marker... which one was that? My topics were Restless Earth, Water on the Land and Coastal Zone, and like you, I only used a fold mountains case study, which is really disappointing because I've been revising case studies nonstop for the past day!

The 8 marker on Restless Earth was about that New Zealand quake, the three P's and responses shown on the photos.

the fold mountains case study- andes was the least i revised for as i only just looked over it - thinking it wasn't important and wouldn't come up, turns out it did. however i just blabbed on about the soil being fertile to plant potatoes, soy beans, rice etc. and then said it was also used for setllement and cattles, cows etc... ?=what! oops i don't think i got close to full marks on that even though i wrote a whole page... :/

and for the 3 p's on earthquakes i totally made it up by just writing up what i saw on the figure it showed us... :frown: i was to worried concerned about the case studies..
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Kitty-meaw
the fold mountains case study- andes was the least i revised for as i only just looked over it - thinking it wasn't important and wouldn't come up, turns out it did. however i just blabbed on about the soil being fertile to plant potatoes, soy beans, rice etc. and then said it was also used for setllement and cattles, cows etc... ?=what! oops i don't think i got close to full marks on that even though i wrote a whole page... :/

and for the 3 p's on earthquakes i totally made it up by just writing up what i saw on the figure it showed us... :frown: i was to worried concerned about the case studies..

I think you at least got 4/6.
I think you at least got 4/6.

Well i do hope i got at least that then :/
For the three P's I put :

seismometer
That duck,cover, hide
That bank picture
Volunteers trained
Buildings resistant
Risk map
Storage of Food
is that right/? D:
I'm kinda glad case studies didnt come up. I didnt remember the coastal zone ones anyway. Personally i found that paper easy
Reply 9
Original post by Marcusroye98
For the three P's I put :

seismometer
That duck,cover, hide
That bank picture
Volunteers trained
Buildings resistant
Risk map
Storage of Food
is that right/? D:

I wrote sooooo much, I added stuff after the extra space. Hopefully it's big enough for the marker to see (PLEASE, let it be!).
I wrote sooooo much, I added stuff after the extra space. Hopefully it's big enough for the marker to see (PLEASE, let it be!).

Do you think what I wrote is fine?:frown:
Original post by Marcusroye98
Do you think what I wrote is fine?:frown:

I think you got at least 7/8.

I wrote some stuff that you wrote but I wasn't sure which things were protect and which were prepare. They seemed so similar.
I think you got at least 7/8.

I wrote some stuff that you wrote but I wasn't sure which things were protect and which were prepare. They seemed so similar.

I wrote a lot more but I forgot now ! I just chatted rubbish !! :biggrin: I really wanted an A* but I don't think I will get one now :L
The question was how do those things reduce effects of earthquakes so I think all that stuff that you wrote, unless you explained why it reduced the effects of earthquakes, you lose marks, e.g. I wrote stuff like "The building depicted in figure 2c was reinforced by steel. This means that it wont topple over or get damaged as much. This is how preparing buildings for earthquakes minimises economic losses, and saves lives because people don't get crushed," and I wrote stuff like that for three other points on a seismometer like you said, on the retarded sign they had up, and the temporary bank. I think they were looking for four really complex statements concisely explaining why the effects of eqs were reduced by the stuff.
That geography exam was so stupid!! No case studies pretty much came up and I had revised them really well! Plus, it wanted you to talk about 3P's in the restless earth 8 marker and the three images were protection and preparation and none were prediction! You can't even predict earthquakes anyway, you just know where, but not when.

Ice don't get me started!? 6 marks just on truncated spurs - how stupid? Such a small part of the course and isn't even explained properly in either the CGP guide or the aqa-endorsed textbook. Then Coasts? A 2 marker on "What is meant by cliff collapse?" - isn't it pretty self explanatory??????! I hope the boundaries are low. It was just so stupid.
Original post by WillWalker23
That geography exam was so stupid!! No case studies pretty much came up and I had revised them really well! Plus, it wanted you to talk about 3P's in the restless earth 8 marker and the three images were protection and preparation and none were prediction! You can't even predict earthquakes anyway, you just know where, but not when.

The question said that you had to use the photos and you're own knowledge- I interpreted this to mean that you wrote about protection and preparation for the three photos and prediction from you're own knowledge, so I said by predicting earthquakes people can make adaptations to their house, and avoid living in certain areas e.g. prone to landslides, and this reduces economic losses and death because people are more aware. You have to be really specific in reading the question- there was that messed up one about "describe how the river valley changes in shape downstream" worth 4 marks- first I wrote how it becomes less steep yadayaydah but when I came back to it and reread it think about it- "describe HOW" is AQA speak for "explain"- so I wrote about lateral and vertical erosion and stuff, saying that's how it changed shape. For the restless earth question on destructive plate boundaries and earthquakes, did everyone draw a diagram of a plate being subducted, with the subduction zone and friction labelled?

I didn't understand the picture of a 'temporary bank' any clues on that?
Original post by Shane Webb

For the restless earth question on destructive plate boundaries and earthquakes, did everyone draw a diagram of a plate being subducted, with the subduction zone and friction labelled?

Pretty much, but I added a label saying plates lock as oceanic subducts under the continental plate and the sudden release causes an earthquake, as the question was about earthquakes.
Original post by WillWalker23
Pretty much, but I added a label saying plates lock as oceanic subducts under the continental plate and the sudden release causes an earthquake, as the question was about earthquakes.

Yeah I annotated that on the subduction zone I just had a really bad feeling about it.

Quick Reply

Latest