The Student Room Group

Wednesday 14th May exam: English Language AQA A level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emmaj125
Hi, anyone who has got an A either in the real exam or in mock, what groupings did you use? Mine seem too simple or broad and I'm hoping for a high B/A

Yes I got an A for the mock exam.

I used

'purpose to persuade'
'graphology cohesion'
'synthetic personalisation'

However it depends on the texts given You can't per-arrange your groupings you have to decide there and then as otherwise your constricting yourself and it probably won't work for the texts that will be given tomorrow.

1. More specific you are in grouping - the higher the grade you'll get.
Try to go for depth in grouping. Not just saying i'm grouping these based on their purpose but elaborate what the purpose is or if you're doing one for audience don't say 'based on audience' state the audience e.g. young females interested in fashion'

2. The more terminology you use - the more accurate your communication is which means higher marks.

3. The more you discuss the background and context of each text - the higher marks. So think of each text - where would you see it? in what situation? what was the writer trying to do? how did they try and accomplish this? what's normally found in these kind of texts? how is this specific text different or similar to the usual texts you'd see in this area/genre?

My guide to success those three points are! I've been continously fed those lines and using them has got me A's so it must work!

Hope this is useful to everyone!

Thumbs up if it is :smile:
Original post by BiteMeChilliBoy!

I used

'purpose to persuade'
'graphology cohesion'

However it depends on the texts given You can't per-arrange your groupings you have to decide there and then as otherwise your constricting yourself and it probably won't work for the texts that will be given tomorrow.

Try to go for depth in grouping. Not just saying i'm grouping these based on their purpose but elaborate what the purpose is or if you're doing one for audience don't say 'based on audience' state the audience e.g. young females interested in fashion'

2. The more terminology you use - the more accurate your communication is which means higher marks.

3. The more you discuss the background and context of each text - the higher marks. So think of each text - where would you see it? in what situation? what was the writer trying to do? how did they try and accomplish this? what's normally found in these kind of texts? how is this specific text different or similar to the usual texts you'd see in this area/genre?

My guide to success those three points are! I've been continously fed those lines and using them has got me A's so it must work!

When I group I do what you said and say the specific audience not audience in generally, like I'd group two together as they are both trying to persuade but in different ways
Yeah they're what I tend to use, what should I aim for instead?

Use features from each framework:

-Lexis/semantics e.g lexical/semantic fields
-Grammar e.g sentence types
-Pragmatics e.g humour
-Graphology e.g image/text cohesion
-Discourse structure e.g listing

Try and get 3 or 4 groups which are varied and cover the framework - e.g one from lexis, one from grammar and one from discourse structure :smile:
When I group I do what you said and say the specific audience not audience in generally, like I'd group two together as they are both trying to persuade but in different ways

Yes that's correct. So you'd say your group is 'purpose to persuade' then you'd say how similar they are and then the differences. Both are needed to get good grades.

Also one last point - go for a variety of groups.

Don't have

E.g.

Group 1 : Purpose to persuade
Group 2 : Purpose to Inform
Group 3 : Purpose to Entertain

Right way:

E.g.

Group 1 : Based on purpose
Group 2 : Based on Audience
Group 3 : Based on language feature/genre

These are not exhaustive - just an example. I'm trying to convey that you should have a variety of groups so not all in the same area.

Hope this helps :smile:

I used

'purpose to persuade'
'graphology cohesion'

Thank you & can you give examples of point2&3 please? I need help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes that's correct. So you'd say your group is 'purpose to persuade' then you'd say how similar they are and then the differences. Both are needed to get good grades.

Also one last point - go for a variety of groups.

Don't have

E.g.

Group 1 : Purpose to persuade
Group 2 : Purpose to Inform
Group 3 : Purpose to Entertain

Right way:

E.g.

Group 1 : Based on purpose
Group 2 : Based on Audience
Group 3 : Based on language feature/genre

These are not exhaustive - just an example. I'm trying to convey that you should have a variety of groups so not all in the same area.

Hope this helps :smile:

What did you put the differences in synthetic personailsation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dazzling_Belinda
Thank you & can you give examples of point2&3 please? I need help

Posted from TSR Mobile

Point 2 is basically using your key terms. So saying 'it is a verb that expresses duty on the reader' you would instead use 'the writer uses a deontic modal verb which gives them power over the reader as this expresses duty and obligation upon them'

Point 3 - depends on the text. But for example if you had a transcript of a butcher selling meat on a market stll (came up in last years past paper i think) you would say it is a busy environment so his speech would be spontaneous and continuous because of the busy environment. As he is serving customers but at the same time will be trying to persuade customers he speaks frequently and although it's spontaneous it could be rehearsed as he could be doing the same speech/dialogue every time he opens up his stall.

Is this helpful?
Original post by Dazzling_Belinda
What did you put the differences in synthetic personailsation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could explain the different ways the synthetic personalisation is used or the different purposes the writer intends to use it for. Purely depends on the text but you could use the points that I've just said.

Okay? :smile:
Reply 208
Does anyone have any links to exemplar A-Grade work? I am in dire need....... please :smile:
I'm going to be off in about 15 minutes so if anyone has any questions please email me [email protected] and I'll try my best to answer your questions but bear in mind I, too have an exam at 0900am tomorrow! :smile:
Original post by JoshZ
Does anyone have any links to exemplar A-Grade work? I am in dire need....... please :smile:

Normally only teachers can get hold of that kind of documents but we got given some paper copies.

I would scan but my printers broken :/

Just brush up on your terminology and theories and remember the exam techniques.Looking at mark-schemes may be helpful too :smile:
Reply 211

I used

'purpose to persuade'
'graphology cohesion'

what does graphology cohesion mean ??
Original post by RuthC
what does graphology cohesion mean ??

Do you know what graphology includes?

It's basically how the graphology links with the text.

It could be

to help the reader with understanding the text
to make the text more appealing by using this

there are many other reasons as well! :smile:

But these are few i used.

Make sense?
Reply 213
One quetion, are deictic and anaphoric language kind of the same thing....??
Reply 214
Do you know what graphology includes?

It's basically how the graphology links with the text.

It could be

to help the reader with understanding the text
to make the text more appealing by using this

there are many other reasons as well! :smile:

But these are few i used.

Make sense?

Thanks so much I understand it :smile:
Reply 215
Original post by JoshZ
One quetion, are deictic and anaphoric language kind of the same thing....??

Anaphoric language refers to something earlier in the text, deixis is only really used in speech.

If two people were discussing the weather and moved onto another topic, then one if them brought the topic back to weather, that would be an anaphoric reference.
If someone says 'this book' or 'pass me that' in the transcript and it's unclear what they are taking about, then this is deixis.
Reply 216
Original post by Rarar
Anaphoric language refers to something earlier in the text, deixis is only really used in speech.

If two people were discussing the weather and moved onto another topic, then one if them brought the topic back to weather, that would be an anaphoric reference.
If someone says 'this book' or 'pass me that' in the transcript and it's unclear what they are taking about, then this is deixis.

Ah right, thanks for that. I thought deixis was speech :smile:
You could explain the different ways the synthetic personalisation is used or the different purposes the writer intends to use it for. Purely depends on the text but you could use the points that I've just said.

Okay? :smile:

Thanks a lot!!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whats Dialogic & monologic?? I forgot... someone tell me please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Heatherjones77
Could these texts me grouped together through multi modality?

Are they even multimodal? Desperately trying to get groups😒😒😒

They can be grouped because of Graphology

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest