The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Biology 2013-2014

Poll

How Do You Think You Did in The Exam?

Hi everyone, better late than never.

Thought that i would start this discussion so that everyone can get some last minute help before the exam.

First question:

What do we think the topics are going to be for the essays on friday?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unit 2 and I think succession or dormancy. Or even the competition/symbiosis stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Saadm0530
Unit 2 and I think succession or dormancy. Or even the competition/symbiosis stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i think it will be unit 2 as well as they tend to alternate it every year. Thanks for the suggestions, thats great.
Reply 3
Yeah I know. Fingers crossed! How you feeling about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Yeah I know. Fingers crossed! How you feeling about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty stressed, all of my exams are so crammed together! But I think i can pull it together just in time. What about you?
Reply 5
Ahhh! The stress of exams. Well I'm feeling alright I guess. Just have to wait and see what the exam is like

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Ahhh! The stress of exams. Well I'm feeling alright I guess. Just have to wait and see what the exam is like

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I guess so. Have you prepared any model essays or are you planning on just winging it with whatever comes up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RetroBhoy
Yeah, I guess so. Have you prepared any model essays or are you planning on just winging it with whatever comes up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not the best Biologist in the world, but IMO you shouldn't learn model essays, and you should instead just learn unit 2 thoroughly (even if it impacts on what you learn for the exam for unit 1, as your essays are on unit 2).

Also, lucky/unlucky on unit 2 essays. Unit 2 is easier than unit 1, but god... so boring.
Reply 8
Original post by TheFOMaster
I'm not the best Biologist in the world, but IMO you shouldn't learn model essays, and you should instead just learn unit 2 thoroughly (even if it impacts on what you learn for the exam for unit 1, as your essays are on unit 2).

Also, lucky/unlucky on unit 2 essays. Unit 2 is easier than unit 1, but god... so boring.

Thats a good point, I think unit 2 is better for the essays but that's just my opinion. Did you do biology last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thats a good point, I think unit 2 is better for the essays but that's just my opinion. Did you do biology last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aye. Not touched the subject in a year and I only got a B, but could MAYBE help out. Although this is more Askles territory, unless he starts telling you like postgrad med level info (he has a tendancy..)

Say his name 3 times and he shall appear, I'll begin:

Asklepios.
Reply 10
Asklepios... Asklepios

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello.
Reply 12
Original post by Asklepios
hello.

I guess dreams do come true

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I guess dreams do come true

Posted from TSR Mobile

I shall try and make myself of assistance (although I do have an exam on Friday too so will be kinda busy)
Reply 14
I shall try and make myself of assistance (although I do have an exam on Friday too so will be kinda busy)

Thats fantastic! (Best of luck in your exam). Did you pay extra attention to certain parts of the course when studying or did you try and get a broad overview of the whole course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thats fantastic! (Best of luck in your exam). Did you pay extra attention to certain parts of the course when studying or did you try and get a broad overview of the whole course?

Didn't pay so much attention to all the unit 2 stuff. Most of it is obvious, and I just crammed the section in BrightRed before the exam :tongue:

Also ProTip: Use past essay marking schemes in your revision. Not only will this give you **** to write about in your essays but it will help for the other sections as well as pretty much everything the SQA expects you to know about a topic is in the marking scheme.
Reply 16
Didn't pay so much attention to all the unit 2 stuff. Most of it is obvious, and I just crammed the section in BrightRed before the exam :tongue:

Also ProTip: Use past essay marking schemes in your revision. Not only will this give you **** to write about in your essays but it will help for the other sections as well as pretty much everything the SQA expects you to know about a topic is in the marking scheme.

Thats great advise! Thanks. Il get that organised tomorrow, do you have any other top tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thats great advise! Thanks. Il get that organised tomorrow, do you have any other top tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm...

From what I remember, the optional unit (we did physiology, health and exercise) had really predictable questions. I don't know what one you're doing, but if you go through the past papers and make a list of common questions you should be set for that - no reason why you shouldn't get close to full marks for that section.

Apart from that, not really anything else but good luck :smile:
Reply 18
Hmm...

From what I remember, the optional unit (we did physiology, health and exercise) had really predictable questions. I don't know what one you're doing, but if you go through the past papers and make a list of common questions you should be set for that - no reason why you shouldn't get close to full marks for that section.

Apart from that, not really anything else but good luck :smile:

Yeah im doing Health, Physiology and Exercise as well. Thats very interesting, il keep that in mind. Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah im doing Health, Physiology and Exercise as well. Thats very interesting, il keep that in mind. Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aye, so stuff like the sequence of events in atherosclerosis, all the BMR and energy stuff, advantages and disadvantages of using BMI and the other measurements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending