The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eveiebaby
What you are describing isn't a fetish though. To approach me as you suggest with a positive attitude is a preference rather than a fetish. It can get serious because unfortunately they are more common than you think, the guys who think certain negative things just because I'm black. It is not immediately obvious all the time, but it is extra work to find out what their attitudes are before "going there".

You are very lucky you don't have to deal with such issues, I know I seem over serious to you but I guess the problem isn't as widespread as you imagines.

fair enough,if yeh say so.well at least yeh know there must be a few lads who have these "preferences" p

I get there creeper problem..but just keep being friendly or you may scare off the "preference" guys..

Yeh im a lad so its grand.still the odd irish racism never goes astray p even so doesnt get to me.
Original post by kka25
Awesome.

Your mom must have missed her home though. Do you resemble closer to your mom or dad?

She's lived here for 24 years now, but her real home is New Zealand (she was born in Samoa then moved to NZ a year later with my grandparents). We've been there a few times and she does miss it but she labels England as her home now!

And I resemble closer to my Dad because he was born here, but I do like to say to people that I do have some Samoan blood in me - and it's the funny look I get from people when I say Samoa because three-quarters don't know where it is!
Original post by thechemistress
You're right on racial prejudices from family, they tend to be a bit backward. However, not so much on cultural differences. In my case, I was born in England and raised in England by parents who were also born and raised in England. This is the same with a lot of other black girls in England, and they're pretty much British so I don't see where the cultural differences would be?

Original post by Mannz
Well that's ridiculous. In England especially, most of us identify as British so there isn't too much prejudice from the family. My family for example, have no qualms with me dating white guys. In fact, my gran just married a white guy and her last husband was white. Anyway, back to the point I was making xD, you shouldn't let the prejudice of some parents stop you. Not every black family is like that, and trust me, they love it when a white person embraces the culture, it shows their open-mindedness!

Discuss.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by Huskaris
Discuss.

I stand by what I say, I don't understand why there would be prejudice from the family and I've never witnessed it. Perhaps it's different with African families compared to Caribbean families but I don't know where the other girl tagged is from. Every case is different?
Reply 64
I don't find white guys attractive at all.
Reply 65
Original post by stargirl63
On average black girls tend to go for guys who would be accepted in their family as well. I know a few girls who wouldn't ever date a white guy because firstly he's white so "how would he know anything about anything we are interested in" and secondly their parents would probably laugh him out of their house. I know a Nigerian girl who dated a Vietnamese guy and she had to end it with him , because her parents didn't accept him - even though both were British.

Also a lot of black girls have already been with a black guy before - so once you go black...etc etc. I'm mixed and I don't particularly find white guys attractive, although there have been a few exceptions - it's their general vibe they give off which deters me.

I've also noticed that black guys are better at handling black girls. Black girls tend to be a lot more rowdy, and I know a lot of white guys who would easily back down, given a confrontation with the "single ladies" head movement ting. :rolleyes:

I hate generalisations like this.
Original post by Mannz
I hate generalisations like this.

Yeah yeah - so do I, buttttttt GENERALLY, USUALLY, the MAJORITY (however you want to say it) this happens. So generalisation or not, you have it,
Reply 67
Original post by stargirl63
Yeah yeah - so do I, buttttttt GENERALLY, USUALLY, the MAJORITY (however you want to say it) this happens. So generalisation or not, you have it,

Sorry but I have to disagree with that. You're generalising from you own experience and the media.

Also, generally, usually and the majority don't mean the same thing.
Original post by thenewone61
Somalia and Russia. Both Muslim. My Mum and Dad would be fine with me marrying a guy of a different race but he'd have to be a Muslim.

Who is Somali, who is Russian?
Original post by Mannz
I stand by what I say, I don't understand why there would be prejudice from the family and I've never witnessed it. Perhaps it's different with African families compared to Caribbean families but I don't know where the other girl tagged is from. Every case is different?

I would agree with every case is different, but if anything would hold me back (and it does) it would be the fact that black people are exceptionally racially discriminatory against whites
Reply 70
Original post by Oats
I've never met a black girl I've been attracted to, otherwise I'd at least try asking them out

And I've never seen a white guy I'm attracted to, maybe because they age quicker than dark skinned guys. Although I'm fine with mixed race guys black/white ones they just have this hotness about them :blushing:
Reply 71
I would agree with every case is different, but if anything would hold me back (and it does) it would be the fact that black people are exceptionally racially discriminatory against whites

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?! Have you been discriminated against then? If so, what happened. It shouldn't be something to hold you back. I've had my fair share of discrimination in good ol' England (and Europe for that matter) but it's never held me back and it never will because I know everyone is different. So yeah, give me an example or two?

But it's not a fact, it's just your impression. Black and white mixed raced people are the biggest ethnic minority group in Britain. It would help if there was less ignorance and assumptions on both sides.
I know some black women who have had relationships with white men before. I do know of at least two occasions when the black girl's family made things extremely difficult for them which ultimately contributed to the end of their relationship. :frown:
Original post by Mannz
Whaaaaaaaaaaat?! Have you been discriminated against then? If so, what happened. It shouldn't be something to hold you back. I've had my fair share of discrimination in good ol' England (and Europe for that matter) but it's never held me back and it never will because I know everyone is different. So yeah, give me an example or two?

I doubt anything actually happened.
Reply 75
Original post by Nomes89
But it's not a fact, it's just your impression. Black and white mixed raced people are the biggest ethnic minority group in Britain. It would help if there was less ignorance and assumptions on both sides.

You do have a valid point there.
Original post by Mannz
You do have a valid point there.

I suspect the kind of black people who are more opposed to white intermixing tend to be 2nd gen African's as most of the 3rd gen blacks tend to be from West Indian backgrounds so have been been here longer and are perhaps slightly more assimilated hence the adoption of West Indian food/music into popular culture as well compared to other groups. With this in mind it's bewildering after having been here for so long, people still maintain such prejudice views about 'black people'.
Reply 77
Original post by Nomes89
I suspect the kind of black people who are more opposed to white intermixing tend to be 2nd gen African's as most of the 3rd gen blacks tend to be from West Indian backgrounds so have been been here longer and are perhaps slightly more assimilated hence the adoption of West Indian food/music into popular culture as well compared to other groups. With this in mind it's bewildering after having been here for so long, people still maintain such prejudice views about 'black people'.

You have literally put my thoughts into words. You understand what I'm saying about the African/West Indian thing. Even Carnival lol. But yes, it is pretty unbelievable, especially since the government brought the 1st gen over in the first place xD You'd think people would be more open minded. I think more of the prejudice views come from the media and the internet certainly facilitates these views. Have you seen the urban dictionary's definition of 'black people'? I honestly lost my faith in humanity when I read it! Anyway, rant over.
Original post by Nomes89

Plus West Indians have a stronger 'melting pot' mentality like the rest of the Americas than peoples in Africa who are more indigenous and have stayed within themselves, so to speak.
Original post by Mannz

Original post by Nomes89

I had a couple of very close black friends when I was younger and I went round theirs a few times, and when some of the older family members were round you could just tell they didn't approve of me being there, one old lady point blank refused to talk to me (for the record I never offended anyone and always had very good manners!) the mum of the kid was very apologetic, which helped but it just felt bad going round there when everyone was there.

As for discrimination that actually cost me anything, I've never been in a position where a black person has been in authority over me, but I would say that it is largely the older generation that hate white people.

Latest

Trending

Trending