The Student Room Group

Igcse chemistry edexcel - paper 1c (13.5.14)

Scroll to see replies

Unfurtunately I think the Grade boundaries will be high this year. All my peers, my teacher and most people on here say that they found the exam easy (I found it easy, but I'm sure I made some silly mistakes). However, I go to a decent school, and TSR members are usually quite bright so I can't be sure.
Don't compare yourself to anyone on here :tongue:
yeah they will be high i found that paper mehhhh mehhh i made so many mistakes well i hope not :frown:
I'm starting to become paranoid that I missed out the last page in this exam - will somebody pm me what the last question was about please so I can remember if I did it.
Same here i missed the last page as well
Original post by football1212
Well wat did u all get for mole of naoh part a was it 0.25 or 0.0104?

i got 0.25!
Original post by Porkchop
Aiming for 108-112/120.

I didn't get the answers to the questions concerning cracking - that's all I know I definitely got wrong.

Other questions were a little hard, unsure about a few. On the whole, it was an average paper in comparison to the others.

i feel as if i did well on the cracking section, just not the other sulphate crystallisation question idk
Original post by Killerfishfinger
Unfurtunately I think the Grade boundaries will be high this year. All my peers, my teacher and most people on here say that they found the exam easy (I found it easy, but I'm sure I made some silly mistakes). However, I go to a decent school, and TSR members are usually quite bright so I can't be sure.
Don't compare yourself to anyone on here :tongue:

most schools that are doing the paper are decent schools unfortunately :frown:
the paper was easy an we still have a chance to gain another 60 marks so its all good, electrolysis will come up on the next paper btw :frown::frown:
Original post by a-spiringmedic
most schools that are doing the paper are decent schools unfortunately :frown:
the paper was easy an we still have a chance to gain another 60 marks so its all good, electrolysis will come up on the next paper btw :frown::frown:

I do Double Award Science meaning I don't have to do another paper, my chemistry IGCSE grade is based on this.

I know 10-15 marks I definitely got wrong and then there's quite a few I'm a bit 50/50 over.

How do you or anyone think the grade boundaries will be? Apparently it was around mid-60's for an A last year.

My overall science grade is out of 360 as they take our results from Chem/Physics and Bio and get an average.
I'm soooo scared! I know I got 5 marks wrong and then other stuff I was slightly unsure of! Got a C in mocks but I've done a maassss of revision since then and got 104/120 in the 2011 summer 1C which was really good for me because Chemistry is my worst subject by a long way! But I'm scared that I haven't done as well as that in the practice as I am really hoping for an A*!! Does anyone know the answer to the question about what the specific polymer was used for by the way?? Thanks!! Xx
I'm soooo scared! I know I got 5 marks wrong and then other stuff I was slightly unsure of! Got a C in mocks but I've done a maassss of revision since then and got 104/120 in the 2011 summer 1C which was really good for me because Chemistry is my worst subject by a long way! But I'm scared that I haven't done as well as that in the practice as I am really hoping for an A*!! Does anyone know the answer to the question about what the specific polymer was used for by the way?? Thanks!! Xx
Original post by alexandrahowes11

I think it was Poly (Propene) and used in plastic bags I put

I too am worried, and I'm praying for 70% or above which would hopefully get me an A?!
Original post by liamtheeagle

I too am worried, and I'm praying for 70% or above which would hopefully get me an A?!

Yaaay! I said that! And I still have teiple left! Eeek! What about you?? Xx
Original post by alexandrahowes11
Yaaay! I said that! And I still have teiple left! Eeek! What about you?? Xx

That's it for me and Chemistry, I'm in Double Award so I have no extra paper.

Maths and Spanish tomorrow.
Original post by Porkchop
I was a little unsure about that one as well. Why was the sulfuric acid heated prior to adding the Copper Oxide? And why was the solution filtered in step 3?

I think it was heated to give the particles more kinteic energy/increase collisions to increase the rate of reaction. The mixture was filtered to remove excess copper oxide.
was the metal the one with high boiling pnt and only conducts electricity when liquid (not solid)? and the polymer we had to name was it poly(propene)?
Original post by ella_chloe
was the metal the one with high boiling pnt and only conducts electricity when liquid (not solid)? and the polymer we had to name was it poly(propene)?

No, the high boiling point one was diamond I believe (correct me if I'm wrong). The metal was the one that conducted electricity both in liquid and solid form. Yes, poly(propene) is correct
Original post by liamtheeagle

Poly(propene) is not used in plastic bags. It is used in ropes and plastic crates.
Poly(ethene) is used in plastic bags.
Original post by midgemeister7
No, the high boiling point one was diamond I believe (correct me if I'm wrong). The metal was the one that conducted electricity both in liquid and solid form. Yes, poly(propene) is correct

oh well about the metal one, at least the polymer one should be right, aiming for a B so hopefully I can get it :smile: think I got isomer one wrong too :/ jusg going to have to wait for results now! :smile:
Original post by ella_chloe
oh well about the metal one, at least the polymer one should be right, aiming for a B so hopefully I can get it :smile: think I got isomer one wrong too :/ jusg going to have to wait for results now! :smile:

True :smile: wait which one was the isomer question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by midgemeister7
True :smile: wait which one was the isomer question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It asked you to draw an isomer of pentane or butane, I can't remember.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending