The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Luke_Mckeown
we were talking about the best teenagers in the world.

as in where would you rank sterling, who would you say is better and all that?

rodgers believes sterling is the best teenager in the world atm
on form he has a fair shout, but overall i'm not sure

Ok I think Sterling is a very very good player, but to say he's the best in Europe is just a bit :/. I'd deffo put him in top 20, there's youngster like Goretzka , Max Meyer, etc. If out of all the u19 players in the world you are happy to your choice talent will be Sterling then cool.
Original post by 419
Meyer and Goretzka would like a word with Rodgers.

People will blaze me for this, the Danish guy Viktor Fischer.
i don't know, that's the problem... :L

most of the upcoming young talent like neymar, suso, barkley etc. are all 20+

you have a few premier league competitors like januzaj and shaw, but both aren't at the level of sterling imo

He's the best teenager in the premier league that's for sure. I really think Shaw is the next media car crash waiting to happen. Can you imagine if Baines gets injured and Shaw goes up against Cavani, Suarez, Balotelli etc? Reckon he'll get torn to pieces...
Original post by Kruz
Ok I think Sterling is a very very good player, but to say he's the best in Europe is just a bit :/. I'd deffo put him in top 20, there's youngster like Goretzka , Max Meyer, etc. If out of all the u19 players in the world you are happy to your choice talent will be Sterling then cool.

i've only heard of meyer but not the other guy
that's the thing, if i have barely heard of these other guys, that can't be a good sign
i'm not saying sterling is the best, but at 19 years of age, he has just come 2nd place in the best league in the world, and is likely to be starting for one of the biggest footballing nations in their world cup team
like him or not, that is a little ridiculous...

Original post by Pete_91
He's the best teenager in the premier league that's for sure. I really think Shaw is the next media car crash waiting to happen. Can you imagine if Baines gets injured and Shaw goes up against Cavani, Suarez, Balotelli etc? Reckon he'll get torn to pieces...

i agree - same as carroll and fellaini, the price tag will add to his expectation
maybe he'll bottle it
maybe he won't develop as well as people anticipate; will be funny

he simply will be destroyed, not because he is bad, but because he is inexperienced.
that's the thing, if i have barely heard of these other guys, that can't be a good sign
i'm not saying sterling is the best, but at 19 years of age, he has just come 2nd place in the best league in the world, and is likely to be starting for one of the biggest footballing nations in their world cup team

i agree - same as carroll and fellaini, the price tag will add to his expectation
maybe he'll bottle it
maybe he won't develop as well as people anticipate; will be funny

he simply will be destroyed, not because he is bad, but because he is inexperienced.

Maybe you need to watch other leagues, broaden your knowledge outside the Premier League :wink:.

plays for schalke with meyer and co. also captained u17 german team, played in CL, interest was shown when he was at Bochum by Madrid, Dortmund and the like. Though he doesn't get much game time because Schalke dont really need him with the likes of Draxler/Meyer/Boateng/Hoger/Kirchoff packing out the midfield, with Clemens/Farfan/Obasi taking up his second position on the right. Has been compared to Sami Khedira by his former boss too.

No your "I haven't heard of those players so they can't be that good" argument doesn't persuade me, try again.

That's honestly the worst ****ing argument I've heard in my life.
There's more to football than just the Prem guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kruz
Maybe you need to watch other leagues, broaden your knowledge outside the Premier League :wink:.

shush you :tongue:
i watch the spanish league!
sometimes...

i'm torn because i like barca as a team but i also want to underdogs to win the league :frown:

Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
plays for schalke with meyer and co. also captained u17 german team, played in CL, interest was shown when he was at Bochum by Madrid, Dortmund and the like. Though he doesn't get much game time because Schalke dont really need him with the likes of Draxler/Meyer/Boateng/Hoger/Kirchoff packing out the midfield, with Clemens/Farfan/Obasi taking up his second position on the right. Has been compared to Sami Khedira by his former boss too.

hmmm, doesn't really sound massively exciting, but i haven't seen him so i can't really comment.

all i think is that sterling is better than some people believe.
of course, he may be overhyped at times by eager england/liverpool fans; he isn't better than walcott.
but people's hatred of liverpool is detracting from the positive perception of him; he is a great teenage talent, and i haven't seen anybody better this season.
Original post by little_tom
No your "I haven't heard of those players so they can't be that good" argument doesn't persuade me, try again.

That's honestly the worst ****ing argument I've heard in my life.

not really what i said though is it...?

i said that it might not be the best sign that i haven't heard of them.
i never said they definitely aren't good because i haven't heard of them, i was merely remarking that if they were as good as some people claim, surely they would already be well known across european football and fans

go back to your shaved legs thread.
Reply 3210

Groetzka has been pretty much a starter since winter break. His place is the team is nailed down.

i never said they definitely aren't good because i haven't heard of them, i was merely remarking that if they were as good as some people claim, surely they would already be well known across european football and fans

Did it ever cross your mind that the only reason you've heard more of Sterling is because you are English, a Liverpool supporter, ignorant of foreign media outlets and to top it off you don't follow European football that much?
Original post by 419
Groetzka has been pretty much a starter since winter break. His place is the team is nailed down.

I hope Lowë plays him Brazil.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3213
Original post by Kruz
I hope Lowë plays him Brazil.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't, I want to see

Schwni Kroos
Ozil
Original post by 419

only for about 2 months but yeah he's been hitting the full 90mins since then. he's pretty versatile too and hasnt been playing in his natural position much.
only for about 2 months but yeah he's been hitting the full 90mins since then. he's pretty versatile too and hasnt been playing in his natural position much.

For the next few years Germany are sorted talent wise. There's always someone new coming up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kruz
People will blaze me for this, the Danish guy Viktor Fischer.

Spot on, first name that came into my head when this discussion came up. People who watch Ajax know.

Did it ever cross your mind that the only reason you've heard more of Sterling is because you are English, a Liverpool supporter, ignorant of foreign media outlets and to top it off you don't follow European football that much?

Gotta love the regular instalments of 'Luke and Tom having **** banter'
(edited 9 years ago)

funnily enough, me being english does cross my mind occasionally.

of course i follow european football; but i don't watch it a great deal if i'm honest
i love football, but i can't be watching all of the top leagues every season
i do have other things to get on with you know; i actually have a social life...

Original post by hello101010
Gotta love the regular instalments of 'Luke and Tom having **** banter'

soz mate, although banter isn't exactly the general consensus of my posts to be fair.
it's all tom relies on, so surely it's more embarrassing for him...
funnily enough, me being english does cross my mind occasionally.

of course i follow european football; but i don't watch it a great deal if i'm honest
i love football, but i can't be watching all of the top leagues every season
i do have other things to get on with you know; i actually have a social life...

soz mate, although banter isn't exactly the general consensus of my posts to be fair.
it's all tom relies on, so surely it's more embarrassing for him...

You did just get a good burn in there though :wink:

Latest