The Student Room Group

Hongkong Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Finally received an offer from HKU IBGM after 6 longggggggggggg months of waiting
Original post by speedbird26
Finally received an offer from HKU IBGM after 6 longggggggggggg months of waiting

Congrats, a very competitive programme with very good prospects. You may very well be the only successful non-JUPAS applicant.

When was your interview? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by poydtreechada
When was your interview? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Early april. I think my interview performance got me the offer. Not sure if I will enroll tho...
Original post by clh_hilary
Congrats, a very competitive programme with very good prospects. You may very well be the only successful non-JUPAS applicant.

Thanks, but I heard the prospects are varied and volatile, and that faculty/school administrative support for exchange/internship/career development etc. are pretty mediocre compared to UST and CU :/
Thanks, but I heard the prospects are varied and volatile, and that faculty/school administrative support for exchange/internship/career development etc. are pretty mediocre compared to UST and CU :/

Does that explain why HKU IBGM has a lot better career prospect than the other two universities?

I'm at HKU.

You heard right. A few people make it into nice jobs (consulting/banking) but most people get BBA(A&F) and BBA level jobs. One of my friends graduated IBGM last year 1st class honors and couldn't get a job, and is now doing postgrad to kill time. Granted, he was aiming a little high (wouldn't settle for big 4 audit or insurance companies - and he shouldn't either), but he clearly couldn't get a job of "IBGM"-calibre.

HKUST GBUS is better by all accounts, except perhaps quality of life haha.

IBGM is mostly a waste of time, honestly. Although the people there are fun :smile:
Early april. I think my interview performance got me the offer. Not sure if I will enroll tho...

Did you apply for CU or HKUST also? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

And what's your conditional offer? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you apply for CU or HKUST also? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. Unsuccessful for both :frown:
And what's your conditional offer? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

40/45 with 6 in SL English and Maths
I'm choosing between enrolling at IBGM or colleges in the states, which would be a 13-time price difference...
Reply 512
Original post by lifeisgood.
I'm at HKU.

You heard right. A few people make it into nice jobs (consulting/banking) but most people get BBA(A&F) and BBA level jobs. One of my friends graduated IBGM last year 1st class honors and couldn't get a job, and is now doing postgrad to kill time. Granted, he was aiming a little high (wouldn't settle for big 4 audit or insurance companies - and he shouldn't either), but he clearly couldn't get a job of "IBGM"-calibre.

IBGM is mostly a waste of time, honestly. Although the people there are fun :smile:

Ok got a dilemma. I was thinking of going to hk. Got offers at hku for economics and finance and hkust for maths. Is it worthwhile for me to go back to hk and what are my prospects after ? I have offers in the uk from Warwick, St. Andrews , Bath and Queens in Belfast. The offer from Queens is tempting as they are offering me a 4 year course with a masters degree. Some advice would be welcomed. Thanks
Original post by clh_hilary
Does that explain why HKU IBGM has a lot better career prospect than the other two universities?

Is that the case? From what I know CU grads are averaging 4x-5x k per month, UST 3x-4x k and HKU 2x - 3xk per month :/
Original post by Manic8
Ok got a dilemma. I was thinking of going to hk. Got offers at hku for economics and finance and hkust for maths. Is it worthwhile for me to go back to hk and what are my prospects after ? I have offers in the uk from Warwick, St. Andrews , Bath and Queens in Belfast. The offer from Queens is tempting as they are offering me a 4 year course with a masters degree. Some advice would be welcomed. Thanks

Seriously just go to Warwick. E&F at HKU and Maths at HKUST are both extremely inferior, and the quality of life is just so damn poor.

I don't want to have to write any more.
I'm choosing between enrolling at IBGM or colleges in the states, which would be a 13-time price difference...

This is probably the only situation where I would take HK over US - if your family is in financial difficulty. It's the reason I'm here.

But believe me - if they have the money and won't have to sell the house to send you to school, then go to college in the US. (Assuming the US colleges you're talking about are decent)
Original post by pinkmemetchi
Did anyone do the Law interview at CityU at the beginning of April and get an offer?
I'm still waiting- but I want to see if they've started giving offers yet.

I'm still waiting too, and I don't think they've given any offers unless the candidate was exceptionally great. I've heard from a friend that he knows someone who got an offer because his CV was rather impressive, but other than him, no one else that I know or know of has gotten an offer yet.

I've also talked to a friend of a friend who goes to City U, and he said he didn't get the offer until a long time after his exam results came out.

Good luck!
Original post by lifeisgood.
I'm at HKU.

I also know someone from HKUST GBUS who couldn't get a job, then had to settled for a job at 12k or so after a while.
Original post by Manic8

HKU E&F is a prestigious programme but you will need to go against 80 mainlanders who excel very well to get ahead, for the degree to actually be meaningful to your career.
Original post by itsnatalie7
I'm still waiting too, and I don't think they've given any offers unless the candidate was exceptionally great. I've heard from a friend that he knows someone who got an offer because his CV was rather impressive, but other than him, no one else that I know or know of has gotten an offer yet.

I've also talked to a friend of a friend who goes to City U, and he said he didn't get the offer until a long time after his exam results came out.

Good luck!

Strangely City University seems to give out offers late. A friend of mine got her offer from HKU and only one from City University several months later.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending