The Student Room Group

haloalkane to alkene

do you reflux or distill

and why?

Ta :smile:
is this one of those silly synthesis questions?

if so, how about just going halogenoalkane -> alcohol -> aliens

If not, I can't help..!
Reply 2
This is very difficult to answer as it depends on what type of halogenoalkane you're looking at. If it's symmetrical then you use Sodium Hydroxide and this will reduce the halogenoalkane giving water and the alkene. If it's not symmetrical it's the same Sodium Hydroxide but you have a possibility of two answers depending on where the Hydrogen is removed. To answer the question this is neither reflux nor is it distillation, it is elimination.
Reply 3
Original post by dire wolf
is this one of those silly synthesis questions?

if so, how about just going halogenoalkane -> alcohol -> aliens

If not, I can't help..!

Should I panic?

INVASION!!!
Original post by Pigster
Should I panic?

INVASION!!!

joker ! :rofl:
Original post by Zaros
This is very difficult to answer as it depends on what type of halogenoalkane you're looking at. If it's symmetrical then you use Sodium Hydroxide and this will reduce the halogenoalkane giving water and the alkene. If it's not symmetrical it's the same Sodium Hydroxide but you have a possibility of two answers depending on where the Hydrogen is removed. To answer the question this is neither reflux nor is it distillation, it is elimination.

Pls explain how you're linking symmetry in the molecule with the need for to heaitng to get the elimination reaction going?
Reply 6
Original post by JMaydom
Pls explain how you're linking symmetry in the molecule with the need for to heaitng to get the elimination reaction going?

I wasn't. In a simple molecule like 2 - bromopropane heating is irrelevant for the reaction at AS level standards at least.
Original post by Zaros
I wasn't. In a simple molecule like 2 - bromopropane heating is irrelevant for the reaction at AS level standards at least.

Being simple and symmetrical aren't the same thing
Reply 8
Original post by JMaydom
Being simple and symmetrical aren't the same thing

I know they aren't. I was using simple as defined as easily understood or done; presenting no difficulty. Not in the chemical terms.

Quick Reply

Latest