The Student Room Group

Aqa gcse chemistry 2014 exam help

Hello, I am sitting my chemistry 2 exams very soon. so I was wondering whether anyone know what type of 6 mark questions will come up in the exams. I am trying to learn everything as possible but I feel like there is no more time left
:frown:

please help,
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by exam is here!
Hello, I am sitting my chemistry exams soon. so I was wondering whether anyone know what type of 6 mark questions will come up in the exams. I am trying to learn everything as possible but I feel like there is no more time left

please help,

Titration comes up quite frequently for C3. Usually they will ask you to describe a practical in some way, so make sure you go over the How Science Works stuff. Good luck!
Original post by kjl234
Titration comes up quite frequently for C3. Usually they will ask you to describe a practical in some way, so make sure you go over the How Science Works stuff. Good luck!

thanks for the feedback, btw do you know what is likely to come up as a 6 mark questions in C2?

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU TOO.. :smile:
Original post by kjl234

Are you saying that titration as in the process or titration as in the calculations part?
Reply 4
Original post by GoldGhost
Are you saying that titration as in the process or titration as in the calculations part?

The investigation.

Does anybody know whether the acid goes in the burette or the conical flask? Thanks
Reply 5
thanks for the feedback, btw do you know what is likely to come up as a 6 mark questions in C2?

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU TOO.. :smile:

For the past few years it's usually been some sort of 'Describe a practical' question. Have a look on the AQA website at past papers to see what's come up. There have been some weird ones in the past so be prepared! Look through the textbook and make sure you know all the practicals.
Original post by kjl234
The investigation.

Does anybody know whether the acid goes in the burette or the conical flask? Thanks

I thought that wouldn't come again, because it came up as a six marker in June 2013?
Original post by AlphaNick
It can be either way depending on the experiment..

Would it matter what you said, can both be acceptable?
Hello, I am sitting my chemistry 2 exams very soon. so I was wondering whether anyone know what type of 6 mark questions will come up in the exams. I am trying to learn everything as possible but I feel like there is no more time left

please help,

HI
Im doing the same exam and hers a link my teacher gave to help revise 6 mark questions

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM-W-SQP-1H.PDF#

http://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/AQA-GCSE-Science-Long-Answer-Exam-Questions-6388803/
Reply 9
Yh the known is burette and the unknown (usually 25cm^) is in the conical flask.
Hey guys!!
good luck for the exam tomorrow.
Hey @alphanick...
how do you do a titration calculation. could you go through the steps?
thankssss
pretty sure it's the unknown in the burette, as that's why it's in the burette i.e. you keep letting some of the liquid into the conical flask with the known amount of liquid in until it turns pink/colourless depending on which way round the chemicals are, then you look on the burette to see how much of the solution you have used. (I'm probably wrong but that's what I thought it was) :/
Reply 12
Standard in burette, unknown in flask- with the exception that you never put NaOH in a burette because it gums it up. Although I'm not sure mark schemes are that picky as the maths is pretty similar however you set it up. For acids+base titrations, don't forget to mention indicator and a white tile.
If you mention indicator then you can say a colour change.
If you mention a specific indicator you have to say what the colour change will be e.g phenylalanine is colurless to pink.
Reply 14
Original post by GoldGhost
Would it matter what you said, can both be acceptable?

The known concentration goes in the Flask with Indicator. The Unknown concentration goes in the burette. So If they tell you the acids concentration, you put the acid in the flask, the alkali in the burette. It's usually the Alkali you put in the burette, An alkali is a base, so you can remember it as 'Drop the Base'
Reply 15
Hiii, Im sitting C2 and 3 tomorrow and as the 6 mark question for the last 2 years has been the titration method, I don't think it'll come up as 6 marks again but you never know! I think it might be on another method, possibly testing for negative or postive ions

anyways, best of luck to everyone IT'LL SOON BE OVER YAAY
Do you have to state which indicator would be best to use in the situation

oh than you so much............. and best o luck for the exam :smile: :biggrin:

oh, thank you sooo much... best of luck for your exam tomorrow... :smile: :biggrin:
I've just gone over the whole C2 specification, using a CGP Additional Science revision guide. There is, however, something I don't understand;

Making insoluble salts- precipitation reactions

The Revision guide states that 'you just need to pick two solutions that contain the ions you need'.

How do you know which solutions you can pick for the specific reaction?
Also, is this all we need to know on this topic (and the fact you have to then filter the salt out etc.)?

Oh and also, do you have to know exactly how Magnesium, Aluminium, Zinc, Iron and Copper react with Dilute HCl? Or do you simply have to know that 'the more reactive the metal, the faster the reaction'?

Quick Reply