The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stargirl63
oh - I don't like lanky guys either. Just because a guy is of a decent height, doesn't mean he's lanky. Hence why I said BMI. It's more an idea that I feel protected. I'm really not starting or getting into fights so whether they can or can't fight doesn't matter too much. Yes the short guy could be a black belt in Karate, but so what, tall guy looks like he can pack it in, that's all I'm happy about.

So you prefer the illusion of security :P
I would say that's the case. I've never met a girl who would flat out refuse to date someone based on height. I know plenty of shorter men who are all a)nice people and b)have had girlfriends, who might not be attractive to you, but were attractive to them.
Original post by Jebedee
So you prefer the illusion of security :P

haha - if you want, I guess you could say that. But like I said, no one is actually coming to punch me up any time soon that I need a body guard. So illusion is fine. also I hate violence, so if some short or tall guy was a black belt and pounded some other guy, I would really be turned off.

Someone to hug chest level, rather than pat on the head is what I'm looking for :rolleyes:
Original post by Black Cat
Women and their god damn heels! :confused:

lol im guessing your short? tell us how short you are?
Original post by redferry
They are just terrifying. It's like a fear of spiders, we can't help it.

If I see a man under 6ft I stand on a chair and start screaming.

then a tall man shoos them away with a broom....
Original post by SillyMilly
id be gutted and very hurt if a guy said he wouldn't date me just because I was tall.

well now you know how short men feel every day
When I studied genetics, some years ago now, the average height of a man in the UK was 5'8" and in Wales 5'7" (this may have changed now). There were studies which showed that both men shorter AND men taller than the average were less likely to get married, it was a standard n-shaped graph.

My personal take on this is that I get on with anyone so long as they aren't hung up about themselves, and that I prefer men close to my height because then I don't get a crick in the neck talking to them. I'm 5'5" and the tallest boyfriend I've had was 5'8", the current one is 5'4".

Women don't hate short men, any man who thinks that is projecting.
Original post by Massanassa
When I studied genetics, some years ago now, the average height of a man in the UK was 5'8" and in Wales 5'7" (this may have changed now). There were studies which showed that both men shorter AND men taller than the average were less likely to get married, it was a standard n-shaped graph.

My personal take on this is that I get on with anyone so long as they aren't hung up about themselves, and that I prefer men close to my height because then I don't get a crick in the neck talking to them. I'm 5'5" and the tallest boyfriend I've had was 5'8", the current one is 5'4".

Women don't hate short men, any man who thinks that is projecting.

I'm surprised. I would have thought the average in England to be more than just one inch higher than Wales. We're all hobbits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I always think men are tall or should be taller than the girls, but most men are like the same height as women. It's weird, when it was a kid I always thought of men as tall , but the majority are actually same height as women or just a tiny bit taller
Original post by Anonymous
I feel really bad for short men. I'm 5'9 so I'm almost average, but I look at people 5'3-5'6 and just pity them. It seems the shorter you are the harder life gets.

Facts:

- dating being short is universally seen as unattractive for males. People have all sorts of preferences (some guys even prefer "heavier" girls to thin ones), but no woman in the world has a preference for guys below average height, over guys of average or above average height. All my mates under 5'7 have either 1) never had a gf or 2) never had a fit girlfriend. Even the ones who work out regularly.

- height/wage correlation: even with all other variables taken into account (education level, socioeconomic background, IQ etc) height has a significant correlation to wage (for every inch gained, average annual wage increases by £2000). That means. That means if you and your next door neighbour are exactly the same in every other way, but you're 5'6 and he's 6'4, he'll earn 20 grand more than you every year.

- business: 90% of CEOs are above average height. Less than 3% of CEO are below the height of 5'7.

- general negative connotations: Short men are seen as being inexperienced, weak, incapable, unreliable and in some cases even creepy.

(Sources for all stats above:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Height_discrimination#Height_and_social_discrimination
http://www.reddit.com/r/short/)

So my question is: why is there such a bias against short men? Men, do you feel your height has helped/hurt you in any way? And women, do you care at all about height?

I don't think 'hate' is the word lol. I personally wouldn't hate someone shorter than or dislike them (i'm 5'7); however i would rather date someone taller than me as i would feel rather awkward dating someone smaller than me, everyone has different opinions on this. One of my best-friend is dating a guy who is slightly shorter than her (and younger!!), so i wouldn't say it is a concern, everyone has different tastes. Just like food, imagine everyone loving/ liking only the same food!... there would be none left... hahahah :biggrin:
Original post by Meyrin
Which he managed to earn regardless of the world-ending dielmma that is being both male and short.

And if you're referring to his wife, they got married before he was likely earning such a fortune.

Yeah but Peter dinklage is awesome. Even before he played the-best-character-on-TV-now-Walter-white-is-gone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by m93100
Just do yourself a favour and stop talking to me.

You started on me for no reason. Typical. :laugh:

Is that a threat? Sounds like a threat.

And I didn't 'start on you' at all. I asked a legitimate question, and you responded immediately with an insult which had to be edited by a moderator. Posed a further question, and then you avoided the question and chose to try and insult me yet again. And now this....

I'll have you at checkmate soon.
Reply 132
Original post by Steinweg
Is that a threat? Sounds like a threat.

And I didn't 'start on you' at all. I asked a legitimate question, and you responded immediately with an insult which had to be edited by a moderator. Posed a further question, and then you avoided the question and chose to try and insult me yet again. And now this....

I'll have you at checkmate soon.

If you read your first reply, it did sound like an unnecessary way to start an argument.

So many girls in this thread have stated they like tall men. It's just a favourable trait for SOME girls.

Why do you care what I have to 'offer' to a man?

You started it. Smh
If you've got the swag you ain't need to be tall :colone:
Original post by m93100
If you read your first reply, it did sound like an unnecessary way to start an argument.

So many girls in this thread have stated they like tall men. It's just a favourable trait for SOME girls.

Why do you care what I have to 'offer' to a man?

You started it. Smh

It sounded to you like it was an unnecessary way to start an argument, as that was your assumption. It was in fact a harmless question that if you didn't like, you didn't need to respond to. You did reply. And rather than merely telling me you found what I was saying offensive, you chose to throw an insult me way, showing your true colours.

I've made a post in this thread many pages back explaining the preferences that women have, so I'm well aware, thank you very much.

I care because you claimed you wanted a tall man to provide you with tall children, yet you're only average in height. Perhaps that tall man doesn't want someone of average height diluting the genetics that his previous generations have established. So what do you have to offer him to make this dilution worth his while?

I didn't start it, but I'll most certainly finish it.
Reply 135
It sounded to you like it was an unnecessary way to start an argument, as that was your assumption. It was in fact a harmless question that if you didn't like, you didn't need to respond to. You did reply. And rather than merely telling me you found what I was saying offensive, you chose to throw an insult me way, showing your true colours.

I've made a post in this thread many pages back explaining the preferences that women have, so I'm well aware, thank you very much.

I care because you claimed you wanted a tall man to provide you with tall children, yet you're only average in height. Perhaps that tall man doesn't want someone of average height diluting the genetics that his previous generations have established. So what do you have to offer him to make this dilution worth his while?

I didn't start it, but I'll most certainly finish it.

wow what I said about wanting tall children was just an innocent remark.

What if the tall man wants a short woman like me and doesn't care about diluting his genetics?

I honestly don't even understand this argument.

It seems you are very keen on winning this 'argument', so I'm just going to let you do that. Though out of curiosity, what gender are you?

Because I have assumed you are a guy, whom got offended when I said I want a tall guy even though I'm short.

If you are a girl, I am having trouble understanding why will you get so offended that I want a tall guy?!?! :confused:
Original post by m93100
wow what I said about wanting tall children was just an innocent remark.

What if the tall man wants a short woman like me and doesn't care about diluting his genetics?

I honestly don't even understand this argument.

It seems you are very keen on winning this 'argument', so I'm just going to let you do that. Though out of curiosity, what gender are you?

Because I have assumed you are a guy, whom got offended when I said I want a tall guy even though I'm short.

If you are a girl, I am having trouble understanding why will you get so offended that I want a tall guy?!?! :confused:

Why are you double spacing paragraphs? Don't.

We're not getting into that - I asked my question first, so answer it and I'll give you an answer in return. If you can't answer my question, then don't feel you're in a position to ask a question based on my original question.

It's probably to do with you not having much to offer a man other than your inferior womb though.

Giving up is in your genetic make-up, it seems. Try and pass it off as 'being the bigger person' as much as you want. It's ironic, if anything.

I'm not offended at all. Why would I be? I'm taken. No need to worry about this thread at all.
Original post by Tai Ga
Yup I do care about height. I probably would never get with a guy shorter than me

Yeah, it's that simple really, especially because I'm already short myself.:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't hate shorter guys; in fact, I'm less intimidated by them. I'd only rule out dating a guy my height or shorter. And I'm 5ft2 so really not asking for much.
Reply 139
Why are you double spacing paragraphs? Don't.

We're not getting into that - I asked my question first, so answer it and I'll give you an answer in return. If you can't answer my question, then don't feel you're in a position to ask a question based on my original question.

It's probably to do with you not having much to offer a man other than your inferior womb though.

Giving up is in your genetic make-up, it seems. Try and pass it off as 'being the bigger person' as much as you want. It's ironic, if anything.

I'm not offended at all. Why would I be? I'm taken. No need to worry about this thread at all.

Who are you to tell me if I should double space or not, I'll even triple space if I want to!

Who are you to decide whether a tall man should mate with a short or tall woman? And most importantly who are you to decide I can't marry a tall guy, if I want to?

Everyone has opinions, bear in mind not everyone will agree to your opinion of the prevention of disrupting tall genes. It's like saying people should just mate with the same characteristics people - there's different people mating with each other and producing a happy new life, without the worry that they have broken off their genetic makeup.

I have no intention to carry this useless conversation, and no giving up is not in my genetic makeup. I just know better than to feed internet trolls.

Goodbye.

Latest

Trending

Trending