The Student Room Group

Footballers aren't overpaid

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stinkum
No. They're not benefiting anyone. By the way, I'm not forgetting about all the billions of pounds and dollars that the world football industry generates. I'm referring to the actually activity itself in its most basic, bare form. If you look at what they're doing - i.e. kicking a ball around a grass pitch - it doesn't take a genius to realise it's a completely useless activity. It's not like they're growing food, or manufacturing goods, or providing a service to people.

It benefits me because it's exciting and fun to watch.

Would you say that music, literature and art is also of no benefit to anyone?
Original post by Stinkum
No. They're not benefiting anyone. By the way, I'm not forgetting about all the billions of pounds and dollars that the world football industry generates. I'm referring to the actually activity itself in its most basic, bare form. If you look at what they're doing - i.e. kicking a ball around a grass pitch - it doesn't take a genius to realise it's a completely useless activity. It's not like they're growing food, or manufacturing goods, or providing a service to people.

The fact that football generates such a huge revenue and the fact that it's such an enormous industry is not evidence of its usefulness, humanity doesn't rely on a bunch of people kicking a ball around for its survival or sustenance. Just because people like to throw their money at something useless, doesn't mean that the people getting paid deserve that money.

They benefit me. They benefit millions of others. If it doesn't, why has it become so popular?

Are you growing food, manufacturing goods or providing a service? Nope, probably not.

The fact is that football is more than just a 'bare form'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you think footballers are overpaid, then don't watch football, and none of your money will go to them.
The rest of us are perfectly entitled to spend our money how we like, and if that happens to be on watching footballers, then so be it.
Original post by Wade-
You're one of the ignorant people I was referring to

No premier league player is going to take a wage cut of £1 million and why should they. For some players it would mean they earned literally nothing

I edited it to say 5% because I realised I was focusing too much on the absolute highest-paid players.

Why should ridiculously-paid people take a pay cut when their company is making a deficit in excess of £40m every year? Yeah, I guess I don't know. Same applies to executives mind,
The problem I have with footballers' salaries is not that they paid such huge sums in and of themselves (it is supply and demand economics at its most basic), but the corrosive and detrimental effect it has on the game itself. The best clubs don't win competitions, the best teams don't win competitions, it's the richest owners and the highest paid teams who win. It's very difficult to argue that that is for the benefit of the beautiful game and not for the benefit of the owner-oligarchs.
Reply 45
Original post by JuliusDS92
I don't see the logic in this argument; perhaps you can explain it to me. I enjoy watching football and therefore I enjoy watching footballers practice their "profession" or whatever you want to call it. Now I am happy to pay a small amount for this service (me being entertained). Some of this money goes to the footballers. These small amounts from the millions of people who similarly enjoy watching football are what makes these players salaries.

In what way do the players not deserve this money?

No matter how hard you try, you can never justify that footballers deserve to earn such huge sums of money by doing what they do.

Perhaps it's a bit silly to say that they shouldn't earn any money at all. But it's a profession that should have never existed at all in the first place. I know that it takes some serious talent and dedication, endless training etc. All the time that is being invested in learning how to play football and how to manage teams...how is that benefiting humanity?

Don't get me wrong, I respect how they've been able to create such a profitable industry. Fair play to them, earning enormous salaries doing fu** all. I wish I had the talent to go into that line of work. So I certainly respect how they're managing to earn such huge sums of money. They possess a talent which is completely unworthy of any sort of attention (let alone payment in huge sums of money). Yet somehow...that's the way it is.

Imagine how weird it would have been if you went back 5 centuries in time and told people that in the future, a bunch of men kicking a ball would go on to become some of the richest people on the planet.

I don't hate footballers or any rich people. I respect how they've been able to basically laugh at people for all this time and managed to get paid huge amounts of money for doing...well, nothing at all.
Only reason i think they are overpaid compared to other celebs is because i think football's crap...
Reply 47
Original post by JuliusDS92
It benefits me because it's exciting and fun to watch.

Would you say that music, literature and art is also of no benefit to anyone?

I hate football. I think it's utterly useless. But I'm not a close minded person, I appreciate that millions of people derive pleasure and enjoyment from watching it and participating in it. But, that doesn't mean footballers should get paid for it!!! In the same way that bands shouldn't get paid to make music. It's not benefiting anyone.

Literature is different. That can be extremely useful.
Original post by Stinkum
No matter how hard you try, you can never justify that footballers deserve to earn such huge sums of money by doing what they do.

Perhaps it's a bit silly to say that they shouldn't earn any money at all. But it's a profession that should have never existed at all in the first place. I know that it takes some serious talent and dedication, endless training etc. All the time that is being invested in learning how to play football and how to manage teams...how is that benefiting humanity?

Don't get me wrong, I respect how they've been able to create such a profitable industry. Fair play to them, earning enormous salaries doing fu** all. I wish I had the talent to go into that line of work. So I certainly respect how they're managing to earn such huge sums of money. They possess a talent which is completely unworthy of any sort of attention (let alone payment in huge sums of money). Yet somehow...that's the way it is.

Imagine how weird it would have been if you went back 5 centuries in time and told people that in the future, a bunch of men kicking a ball would go on to become some of the richest people on the planet.

I don't hate footballers or any rich people. I respect how they've been able to basically laugh at people for all this time and managed to get paid huge amounts of money for doing...well, nothing at all.

A huge number of jobs aren't necessary for people to survive, as that seems to be your criteria for a useful job.... But what would life be without all the things that we enjoy doing?
Original post by Stinkum
I hate football. I think it's utterly useless. But I'm not a close minded person, I appreciate that millions of people derive pleasure and enjoyment from watching it and participating in it. But, that doesn't mean footballers should get paid for it!!! In the same way that bands shouldn't get paid to make music. It's not benefiting anyone.

Okay...you don't think that giving people "pleasure and enjoyment" benefits them?

And why shouldn't they be paid, if I and millions of others are happy to pay them our own money so that we can watch them? Would you dispute that I have the right to use my money as I see fit (as not as it's not going into illegal activities)?
Original post by Rant
People like you are what's wrong with this country. "I'm happy to be poor and let others exploit me. I'm happy to support the super-rich and I'll even idolise them from my council house slum."

Footballers are not overpaid and in fact are underpaid considering the national service they do. They represent us in the European cups and World Cup as well as bring joy to many households and fans. Football can bring entire communities together. I think they should be paid at least triple of what doctors earn
Original post by midgemeister7
Yes, the vast majority are much more hard-working, train daily and miss their families for whole weekends travelling. The average worker never thought about their job long before getting it and work Monday-Friday on the same pay (almost) as League Two footballers.

I agree that footballers aren't overpaid. However if you think footballers have a harder life than normal day to day working people, you are delusional
Original post by Jordooooom
I agree that footballers aren't overpaid. However if you think footballers have a harder life than normal day to day working people, you are delusional

I agree. I was just highlighting the point that they do a little more than 'stretching and kicking a ball around a field'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by midgemeister7
I agree. I was just highlighting the point that they do a little more than 'stretching and kicking a ball around a field'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh I see. Agreed
Alongside the other points made, what footballers do which also inflates their salaries is create a perception about themselves and a brand. This helps them command large salaries.

If you can create a perception about yourself and a brand then you can also command high salaries (assuming you work hard and do all the other stuff etc.)

It's why top bankers, lawyers, politicians and technologists can command high salaries for working, sponsorships or doing speeches. They create the brand and image of being the best in the world.

In essence, you are your job and your job is you. Careers like football aren't a job, they are a lifestyle that will completely consume you. Also, the high salaries like other industries, compensate for the short life-span.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I have 'grass is greener' qualms with pretty much everything. I attend football matches so I can't really whine.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
the idiot public makes it profitable in the first place.

Yeah, but a free society respects the wishes of the public. So we shouldn't think about forcing lower wages.
Reply 57
Football brings extreme amounts of money and investment into the country. Just look at Manchester City and the construction / development that has been done.

All the football agents are doing are bargaining the wages because they can justify it. Not too different from trade unions.
Reply 58
Original post by Stinkum

The band analogy is an even more extreme view. Leaving aside the inevitable music-industry-conspiraracy-theory stuff, if a band don't make music that people like - no-one will buy it and they won't get paid. It's as simple as that.

Same for literature and art. If no-one likes what you have to offer, you don't get paid. People like yourself just don't get to have a say. If an individual wants to pay £x for a book/record/painting by a particular person, it would take the most outrageously invasive and illeberal state to prohibit or regulate that.
Original post by Stinkum

explain to me how literature is different to any other artform or entertainment. It exists to entertain people, and if you are a talented entertainer that people are willing to pay to watch/read work by then you deserve to be paid well for it
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest