The Student Room Group

Wednesday 14th May exam: English Language AQA A level

Scroll to see replies

Is epistemic used for repressive discourse

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 241
Well good luck everyone and thanks for all the help!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 242
I am so glad I did English language on year 10 and got and A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That exam was the devils work. Like omfggg. Categorising texts was demonic.
Didnt go too well
How did it go????!!!!

How was Section A -groupings? What groups did you choose?

What about Section B - who chose gender?

:smile:
What did people put for Section B Gender?!?!?!
Original post by emmaj125
What did people put for Section B Gender?!?!?!

I chose gender but half way through regretted it! It was so hard to use theories to explain so I had to come up with general stereotypes from myself.

Quite tricky!
Reply 248
Original post by BiteMeChilliBoy!
How did it go????!!!!

How was Section A -groupings? What groups did you choose?

What about Section B - who chose gender?

I think the texts were all good but I think I messed up :frown: Literally got about 3 hours sleep last night and just couldn't focus....
Reply 249
Section A- I grouped by spoken language features, pragmatics and imperatives
How did I do with these? good groups? what did everyone else do?
I chose gender but half way through regretted it! It was so hard to use theories to explain so I had to come up with general stereotypes from myself.

Quite tricky!

What did you put? Mine didn't not sound sophisticated or clever at all but instead a waffle
Original post by JoshZ
I think the texts were all good but I think I messed up :frown: Literally got about 3 hours sleep last night and just couldn't focus....

Same! :stupid: (That's me by the way!) :wink:

I slept like 3 and half hours which was a really bad idea!

Grouping was hard - I only did two groups. I didn't get Text G - it was confusing what it was saying.
Gender was crazy but categorising texts was actual hell. I done pragmatics humour and to inform, I had terrible timing. So yeah. I think I'm retaking next year :frown:
Original post by emmaj125
What did you put? Mine didn't not sound sophisticated or clever at all but instead a waffle

I'm quite embarrassed to say it! It's absolute waffle mine is!

I said women were portrayed as if they're machines. The shopping experience and the woman together is represented as if it's a game because of the word 'mission'.

And then the part about the woman asking the opinion and then comparing the man to a middle east envoy - I said it portrayed woman as animalistic lol! Is that even a word?!

My examiners just going to laugh when he/she looks at my paper! :colondollar::s-smilie:
Reply 254
Same! :stupid: (That's me by the way!) :wink:

I slept like 3 and half hours which was a really bad idea!

Grouping was hard - I only did two groups. I didn't get Text G - it was confusing what it was saying.

I don't think I talked about the effect on the reader enough, and I was grouping texts together for example A, B and C for imperatives (this is just an example, I can;t remember what texts A, B + C were) and then halfway through the paragraph I'd say something like: Text B uses deictic language and then I'd just say Text D also uses deictic language (even though I didn't mention it in my initial grouping). IDK if this is allowed :-(
I'm quite embarrassed to say it! It's absolute waffle mine is!

I said women were portrayed as if they're machines. The shopping experience and the woman together is represented as if it's a game because of the word 'mission'.

And then the part about the woman asking the opinion and then comparing the man to a middle east envoy - I said it portrayed woman as animalistic lol! Is that even a word?!

My examiners just going to laugh when he/she looks at my paper! :colondollar::s-smilie:

those aren't bad points at all. they were portrayed as machines 'programmed' and also as animalistic (which is a word). I talked about the extended metaphor of war as opposed to a game though like the middle east bit, then at the end it said 'patience and tact'
Original post by JoshZ
I don't think I talked about the effect on the reader enough, and I was grouping texts together for example A, B and C for imperatives (this is just an example, I can;t remember what texts A, B + C were) and then halfway through the paragraph I'd say something like: Text B uses deictic language and then I'd just say Text D also uses deictic language (even though I didn't mention it in my initial grouping). IDK if this is allowed :-(

Yes they're allowed as you're overlapping which the examiners like. You probably didn't do as bad as you think. It's done - you tried your best.

Try to focus on your other exams now! :smile:
Original post by rswk
Section A- I grouped by spoken language features, pragmatics and imperatives
How did I do with these? good groups? what did everyone else do?

those are decent groupings. i did genre conventions, humour, imperatives and interrogatives, mixed register and metaphorical language.
Reply 258
Yes they're allowed as you're overlapping which the examiners like. You probably didn't do as bad as you think. It's done - you tried your best.

Try to focus on your other exams now! :smile:

Thank God for that. Now it's time to study Chemistry & Biology (after a long sleep) :wink:
Original post by HillyH1995
those aren't bad points at all. they were portrayed as machines 'programmed' and also as animalistic (which is a word). I talked about the extended metaphor of war as opposed to a game though like the middle east bit, then at the end it said 'patience and tact'

Yes - war would be a better comparison due to the words as machines can come into that! Thank God it's a word! You've made me feel so much better! - thank you!

Those were probably my best points then the other bits I can't even remember I felt very limited on what I could say.

Do you remember any other points you made/

Quick Reply

Latest