The Student Room Group

Wednesday 14th May exam: English Language AQA A level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JoshZ
Thank God for that. Now it's time to study Chemistry & Biology (after a long sleep) :wink:

Yes- you need that!

And I have 4 exams next week - 2 maths a psychology and business so I need to start preparing too!

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by BiteMeChilliBoy!
Yes - war would be a better comparison due to the words as machines can come into that! Thank God it's a word! You've made me feel so much better! - thank you!

Those were probably my best points then the other bits I can't even remember I felt very limited on what I could say.

Do you remember any other points you made/

:smile:

i talked about lexical assymetry i.e. how the term catfight is only used to refer to female arguments even though the term cat embodies both genders. then from that i managed to make the point that language embodies sexual inequality and could bring in Julia Stanley who said there are 220 sexually promiscuous terms for females and only 20 for males. Then I could bring in Muriel Shulz who said the fact that there are more negative terms for females shows a patriarchal society.
Reply 262
Yes- you need that!

And I have 4 exams next week - 2 maths a psychology and business so I need to start preparing too!

Good luck! :smile:

I have Psychology too, I absolutely hate it (it's boring in my opinion).

Good luck to you as well! :biggrin:
Original post by HillyH1995
i talked about lexical assymetry i.e. how the term catfight is only used to refer to female arguments even though the term cat embodies both genders. then from that i managed to make the point that language embodies sexual inequality and could bring in Julia Stanley who said there are 220 sexually promiscuous terms for females and only 20 for males. Then I could bring in Muriel Shulz who said the fact that there are more negative terms for females shows a patriarchal society.

Oh my goodness - you're so clever!! You're on your way to an A definitely.

I hate that I didn't think of that! :/ - all those points I had the information I just failed to identify it.

Oops!

Well I'm going to stop worrying now - it's done! Moving onto Psychology now :smile:

Thank you so much for those points - very accurate.
Original post by JoshZ
I have Psychology too, I absolutely hate it (it's boring in my opinion).

Good luck to you as well! :biggrin:

Thanks! I really love Psychology - just not the exams! Haha - it's really interesting for me but really hard at the same time.
Oh my goodness - you're so clever!! You're on your way to an A definitely.

I hate that I didn't think of that! :/ - all those points I had the information I just failed to identify it.

Oops!

Well I'm going to stop worrying now - it's done! Moving onto Psychology now :smile:

Thank you so much for those points - very accurate.

appreciate it but there's going to be 100's of points I didn't think of either! You probably had at least one original point that few people thought of so don't panic! good luck with the rest of your exams
Was text G the comic strip? If it was, I interpreted it to be humourous as it was a pun through the adaptation of the Superman comics
Original post by Harryman2212
Was text G the comic strip? If it was, I interpreted it to be humourous as it was a pun through the adaptation of the Superman comics

I find it confusing as I've never read comics. I didn't understand it at all.
Original post by HillyH1995
appreciate it but there's going to be 100's of points I didn't think of either! You probably had at least one original point that few people thought of so don't panic! good luck with the rest of your exams

Thank you!

And you too - hope you do as well in the rest of the exams as well! :smile:
Reply 269
That went...okay. Not brilliantly, but not fantastically. I thought last year's was easy and I failed that, so hopefully this ambivalence is a good thing!

The groupings though - what were AQA thinking?! That was so random! I did a group of texts that used direct address, then subgrouped it for texts that used direct address as a means for synthetic personalisation and ones that didn't. I also did a group on texts that relied on pragmatics, texts that contained a specific lexical field, then I quickly shoved another paragraph in about texts that used the passive form. The passive grouping I had to rush because I was running out of time. :/

Power was slightly better I think! I included loads about politeness and face. Did anyone else say that Maria was the powerful one? I said that she used repressive discourse strategies such as apologies, but this was likely due to the fact that her speech was pre-planned and therefore she wasn't sincere - but Joe's utterances were spontaneous, so his politeness features were sincere and therefore he lacked power.

On to English Lit!
Reply 270
I find it confusing as I've never read comics. I didn't understand it at all.

Me neither! I know what they look like and stuff, but I've never read one myself. I just talked about the pragmatics of 'splendidman' being a reference to 'superman'.
Did anyone do Language and Technology?

The question was on twitter- I found the question to actually be quite nice!
Obviously, because twitter is a relatively 'new' social media site, I think we were the guinea pig year to see how a 'new' technology would fair amongst students- because, of course, if you dont have twitter- you wouldn't have any background information on the medium of technology, and also because we had never studied twitter in my lessons.

I found categorising 'alright'. I only made two groupings- The first being Spoken Language, and the second for the purpose 'To inform', but with sub groups amongst the second grouping that some were to entertain/ advertise as well.

What the heck was text G about. I just sat there staring at it for a long time waiting for something to click. However, i loved text B about the jokes. Because I was so high on adrenaline (nearing hysterical), I actually laughed out loud at the two jokes... Invigilators didn't find it too funny, mind.
Reply 272
I completely panicked and it took me like 20 mins to group my texts and in the end i didn't even do it well! it was a horrible and i ended up having to rush through :frown: it was the joke text and church/marriage one that stumped me!

did anyone opt for the power question? :frown:

thank god this is only a resit for me and i have a grade to fall back on
Reply 273
Original post by Rarar
That went...okay. Not brilliantly, but not fantastically. I thought last year's was easy and I failed that, so hopefully this ambivalence is a good thing!

The groupings though - what were AQA thinking?! That was so random! I did a group of texts that used direct address, then subgrouped it for texts that used direct address as a means for synthetic personalisation and ones that didn't. I also did a group on texts that relied on pragmatics, texts that contained a specific lexical field, then I quickly shoved another paragraph in about texts that used the passive form. The passive grouping I had to rush because I was running out of time. :/

Power was slightly better I think! I included loads about politeness and face. Did anyone else say that Maria was the powerful one? I said that she used repressive discourse strategies such as apologies, but this was likely due to the fact that her speech was pre-planned and therefore she wasn't sincere - but Joe's utterances were spontaneous, so his politeness features were sincere and therefore he lacked power.

On to English Lit!

did you mention a few theories in power? my friend said she felt she did good on the question but told me she didn't mention any theories and i mentioned loads so now i don't know if i've done okay :confused:
Original post by rswk
Section A- I grouped by spoken language features, pragmatics and imperatives
How did I do with these? good groups? what did everyone else do?

I did pragmatics but as a kind of sub group so glad someone else did that too haha!
I only managed to get three groups!
I did a lexical field of war/violence, personification and non fluency features!
Hope this is ok:/
AQA are going to need to ensure the grade boundaries are lowered for this exam. I have never seen such awful texts! The joke (Text B) was the worst of them all...Text G was cryptic too!

The Language and Gender text was quite a good text, I had a lot of points. It's a shame that my timing is awful, I found it almost impossible to write succinctly and systematically. Oh well. Now onto English Literature.

:redface:
Hello - has anybody on this thread got any advice for me?

Firstly - what do I need for an A?
72 in coursework last year
74 in coursework this year
84 ums in exam last year (I've just resat it this morning but bloody hell - I only did three categories (persuade, pragmatics and speech) and I missed out the church text. Thought power was okay, though)

Anybody?
Original post by Rarar

On to English Lit!

When you resat your English Language paper the one today, did you have to re-do your coursework?

Just asking so I'm not completely lost if i get a bad grade!
Reply 279
In the joke text it said something like "can you teach me to do the splits" is can a modal verb in that context?That exam was just dreadful, I know for sure I am either dropping it or having to resit a different AS level :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest