The Student Room Group

GCSE History B (Modern World) Exam: 16/05/2014

Anybody taking this exam? OCR B: Modern World History
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2

How you feeling? Ready?
Not really gonna do some more revision in a bit, i saw last years paper and for my topics they seemed to focus the questions on the smaller bits of the syllabus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Hamza Zaman
Anybody taking this exam?

Is this the exam on peace to war and the cold war?
Reply 5
Original post by alexh1206
Is this the exam on peace to war and the cold war?

I'm doing it on the Cold War. I think they will be taking out The Inter-War years out of the paper this year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm doing it on the Cold War. I think they will be taking out International Relations out of the paper this year.

I've been told to revise both so I can only assume they haven't, or its a different exam. I'm not sure if it's History B?
Reply 7
Original post by alexh1206
I've been told to revise both so I can only assume they haven't, or its a different exam. I'm not sure if it's History B?

I'm not aware of the Peace War on the OCR B Spec. All I know that candidates attempting section B of the paper must revise Cold War, Vietnam and Cuban Missile Crisis.
Reply 8
Original post by hamza zaman
anybody taking this exam?
yes and ****ting bricks man
Me too but I'm doing the Inter-War Years and Germany ahh
Original post by AlphaNick
Yes.. and I've answered every possible 4, 6 and 10 mark question that could come up in my own time so I'm sorted.

Oh you
Reply 11
I'm sure we will all be fine! :smile:

It's important that you answer the ten mark questions in three parts:

For example: Who won the Cuban Missile Crisis?

PEE paragraph on Kennedy: Kennedy got missiles removed from Cuba and could be seen as the man who held his nerve under pressure.

PEE Paragraph on Castro: Protected Cuba, USA promised not to invade. This lead to Castro being in power for 48 years.

PEE Paragraph on Khrushchev: Protected communist allies and got missiles removed from Turkey

Example 2: 'The tactics of the USA were the main reason for its failure in the Vietnam War' How far do you agree with this statement? Explain your answer.

PEE paragraph on agreeing with statement: Search and destroy and Zippo Raids not effective, didn't win over vietnamese civilians etc...

PEE paragraph on disagreeing with statement: Vietcong too experienced, guerrilla warfare, didn't wear uniform etc.

Conclusion: Should consist of a balance, with your own opinion.

This three part format, is guaranteed to get you a level three answer! (9-10)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
I'm just worried about the UsA source questions when they ask why they were published. The rest of the paper I'm fine with
Reply 13
Original post by Manexopi
I'm just worried about the UsA source questions when they ask why they were published. The rest of the paper I'm fine with

My source paper is on British Depth Study.

This is what you should follow when attempting to answer source type questions:

For analysing sources in paper 2, use *PANDA*

P -urpose (what was it used for? To inform people/amusement/persuade people etc.)

A -uthor (who wrote it and why? Would they be subjective?)

N -ature (what was it- was it an article/cartoon/government propaganda poster etc.?)

D -ate (when was it written and did this have any significance?)

A -udience (who would/was meant to see this at the time? What impact would it have on them?)

It depends on the actual question but those are some general things to look out for

*PEE* (Point Evidence Explain) when answering all questions.

When you're confident with content, this approach shouldn't be a problem.
Whos doing origins of the first world war, peacemaking and the league of nations and/or hitler's foreign policy
Reply 15
My source paper is on British Depth Study.

This is what you should follow when attempting to answer source type questions:

For analysing sources in paper 2, use *PANDA*

P -urpose (what was it used for? To inform people/amusement/persuade people etc.)

A -uthor (who wrote it and why? Would they be subjective?)

N -ature (what was it- was it an article/cartoon/government propaganda poster etc.?)

D -ate (when was it written and did this have any significance?)

A -udience (who would/was meant to see this at the time? What impact would it have on them?)

It depends on the actual question but those are some general things to look out for

*PEE* (Point Evidence Explain) when answering all questions.

When you're confident with content, this approach shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks I'm doing Britain too for my source paper but the USA ones in aspects of international relations are annoying haha :biggrin: what grade you aiming for?
Reply 16
Not doing gcse but doing igcse on the 16th. If anyone is doing the edexvel igcse on friday what do you think i should revise??

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will be skipping out of this exam once it's done... I will never have to think about Hitler again!
Reply 19
Original post by Manexopi
Thanks I'm doing Britain too for my source paper but the USA ones in aspects of international relations are annoying haha :biggrin: what grade you aiming for?

I'm aiming for an A*. But if worst comes to worst, I'm not settling for anything less than a B. I got 43/50 on my controlled assessment which is an A. But yeah, we'll see how the papers go.

Quick Reply

Latest