The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Geography Unit 2 May 16th

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hody421
I need literally 100% in this...

Join the club
If anyone is seriously struggling I can send you all of my rural rebranding notes that i've made this morning and some of my Holderness coasts notes? Just let me know and i'll post them up here some way or other.
Also our teacher went through the 15 mark fieldwork questions with us on crowded coasts and I have the templates of those and he says they are guaranteed to get 20/15 so you could use those but just swap names or just copy them:smile:
Original post by s-hardayjade
If anyone is seriously struggling I can send you all of my rural rebranding notes that i've made this morning and some of my Holderness coasts notes? Just let me know and i'll post them up here some way or other.
Also our teacher went through the 15 mark fieldwork questions with us on crowded coasts and I have the templates of those and he says they are guaranteed to get 20/15 so you could use those but just swap names or just copy them:smile:

Yes please that would be so so nice you wonderful person :biggrin:

Hehe 20/15? :biggrin: Bonus marks for demolishing the paper huh :P

Oh could I have the rebranding notes please? I do extreme weather and rebranding. :smile: Thank you!
Reply 84

I think that I'm okay with rural rebranding (I do have enough notes on that), but Holderness notes would be quite useful because that was one of my case studies but I can't find my notes on that! (And I don't have much stuff on coasts anyway... :/)
Original post by zomi
I think that I'm okay with rural rebranding (I do have enough notes on that), but Holderness notes would be quite useful because that was one of my case studies but I can't find my notes on that! (And I don't have much stuff on coasts anyway... :/)

Is facts about each area okay? In all of the mocks we've done I've gotten 10/10 just by expanding on the points. Mostly with Holderness it tends to be fieldwork so i'll put both up. Are you okay with coastal development?

And to everyone else as well i'll put the rebranding notes up ASAP :smile:
Reply 86
Could you put up the templates please?
Is facts about each area okay? In all of the mocks we've done I've gotten 10/10 just by expanding on the points. Mostly with Holderness it tends to be fieldwork so i'll put both up. Are you okay with coastal development?

Thank you! You're a star :tongue:
I don't know if this will help people. But for rebranding here are some ways of doing the fieldwork and research questions... for Urban or Rural:

GUIDELINES ON WRITING FIELDWORK AND RESEARCH YOU WOULD CARRY OUT IN AN URBAN AREA IN NEED OF REBRANDING

When carrying out fieldwork and research in an urban area in need of rebranding I will use a two-pronged strategy to collect the data, that is, primary and secondary research. The former gives me an opportunity to collect first-hand data through my fieldwork activities and the latter allows me to access pre-existing data about the area from a variety of sources such as text books and the internet. A combination from these sources of information will give me a balanced picture of the area and how it should be rebranded.

Primary data: The first thing I would do when I get to the area is to make a few field notes focusing on what exactly I am going to look for (my aims and objectives) as I conduct my fieldwork. This is important for it helps me to streamline my fieldwork activities because it is practically impossible to research on everything. I would also draw a number of field sketches about key areas in the city especially those which need rebranding. Photographic evidence is also useful although I should be as objective as possible when shooting them. The photographs will be useful for they will reveal the condition of the area in a pictorial way.

The next thing I would do is to conduct interviews using a set of pre-prepared questions. Some of the questions will include tick boxes to facilitate the speed at which the research is undertaken (closed questions) but others will be more open-ended to give the interviewees an opportunity to express their own opinions about the area. I can also be more selective by arranging focus groups in order to collect more detailed and hopefully unbiased views about the area. Such groups are useful especially if they are made up of well-informed people who have lived in the area for a long time. Another technique I would utilise is that of placecheck forms’ entailing the use of a variety of questions about the area particularly the problems it is facing and what could be done to solve them. A placecheck is a method of assessing the qualities of a place, showing what improvements are needed, and focusing people on working together to achieve them. This will involve asking the residents questions such as the following:What do you like about this place? What do you dislike about it? What needs to be improved? How can the physical form of buildings and spaces help to make the place work better?and Which green areas and open spaces are important to conserve and emphasise?

Commercial activities are very important in urban areas thus making it important to investigate the status of this sector for it is likely to have been affected in areas needing rebranding. Therefore I will administer a questionnaire to check on retail activities focusing on shopping quality if it is declining or improving; footfall, that is, the number of people visiting a shop or a chain of shops in a period of time is. Footfall is an important indicator of how successfully a company's marketing, brand and format are bringing people into its shops. It is an indicator of the reach a retailer has, but footfall needs to be converted into sales and this is not guaranteed to happen. Many retailers have struggled to turn high footfall into sales. Linked to the retail business and footfall is the need to conduct a pedestrian count to establish the volume of customers coming to do business in the city. If the counts are low it means the businesses in the area will suffer and are likely to close.
It would also be essential to carry out an Environmental Quality Survey for it will yield useful data on things like litter and the areas affected by it, the level of vandalism to property (public or private), incidences of graffiti, the availability of open space especially that for recreational activities, street lighting to give people comfort, availability and cleanliness of street furniture, existence of urban plants (e.g. trees) more so in urban concrete environments, smell particularly in polluted areas, noise pollution and population density as it is usually linked to the quality of life in an area. Other considerations include a survey of residential area environmental quality entailing the quality of the environment as reflected by the nature of buildings for instance, levels of pollution (litter, traffic, noise and air), availability of amenities (garages, gardens) and access to services (schools, parks, shops, pub/s, doctor/s and public transport).

My research will be incomplete without supporting it with some secondary data gathering. Obviously I would use reputable and reliable internet sources especially those offering geo-demographic data (refers to any data related to consumer or business population information. It helps you answer questions such as: Which store locations are likely to be most profitable for you? Where would it be best to site a new store, depot, clinic or service facility to meet future demand? Where in the country are there more potential customers with a similar profile to those that buy from you now?) such as Acorn and cameo profiles. I would also check on socio-economic profiles from census (National Statistics) and do a photographic search to compare the current situation as seen from my own photographs and what the place looked like especially during its boom period.

GUIDELINES ON WRITING FIELDWORK AND RESEARCH YOU WOULD CARRY OUT IN A RURAL AREA IN NEED OF REBRANDING
When carrying out fieldwork and research in rural area in need of rebranding/regeneration/reimaging I will use a two-pronged strategy to collect the data, that is, primary and secondary research. The former gives me an opportunity to collect first-hand data through my fieldwork activities and the latter allows me to access pre-existing data about the area from a variety of sources such as text books and the internet. A combination from these sources of information will give me a balanced picture of the area and how it should be rebranded/ regeneration/reimaging.

Primary data: The first thing I would do when I get to the area is to make a few field notes focusing on what exactly I am going to look for (my aims and objectives) as I conduct my fieldwork. This is important for it helps me to streamline my fieldwork activities because it is practically impossible to research on everything. I would also draw a number of field sketches about key areas in the selected rural area especially those which need rebranding/regeneration/reimaging. Photographic evidence is also useful although I should be as objective as possible when shooting them by choosing both positive and negative aspects. The photographs will be useful for they will reveal the condition of the area in a pictorial way.

The next thing I would do is to conduct interviews using a set of pre-prepared questions. Some of the questions will include tick boxes to facilitate the speed at which the research is undertaken (closed questions) but others will be more open-ended to give the interviewees an opportunity to express their own opinions about the area. I can also be more selective by arranging focus groups in order to collect more detailed and hopefully unbiased views about the area. Such groups are useful especially if they are made up of well-informed people who have lived in the area for a long time. Another technique I would utilise is that of ‘placecheck forms’ entailing the use of a variety of questions about the area particularly the problems it is facing and what could be done to solve them. A placecheck is a method of assessing the qualities of a place, showing what improvements are needed, and focusing people on working together to achieve them. This will involve asking the residents questions such as the following:What do you like about this place? What do you dislike about it? What needs to be improved? How can the physical form of buildings and spaces help to make the place work better?and Which green areas and open spaces are important to conserve and emphasise?

Commercial activities are very important even in rural areas thus making it important to investigate the status of this sector for it is likely to have been affected in areas needing rebranding/ regeneration/reimaging. Therefore I will administer a questionnaire to check on retail activities focusing on shopping quality if it is declining or improving; what services are still being provided in the area (bus service/ post office/ a primary school/ shops) and also the number of people visiting the village shop/s. I would also check on the number of boarded-up shops and the number of ‘for sale’ signs a good indicator of why the place needs rebranding/ regeneration/reimaging. I would check on signs of delelection, abandonment and general lack of sevices. It would be useful to find out how many people visit the village shop/s and the frequency of their visits (everyday; once a week; once every fortnight; once a month).

My research will be incomplete without supporting it with some secondary data gathering. Obviously I would use reputable and reliable internet sources especially those offering ‘geo-demographic’ data (refers to any data related to consumer or business population information. It helps you answer questions such as: What is happening to the availability of services in the area? What are the main problems being faced in the area and how can they be solved?) such as Acorn and cameo profiles. I would also check on socio-economic profiles from census (National Statistics) and do a photographic search to compare the current situation as seen from my own photographs and what the place looked like especially during its boom and stable period.

Could you send me them please :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90

Can you send the templates please
Reply 91

Could you send them to me please 😁
Lifesaver!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile

could you send me them please omg :smile:
Guys, remember this structure for the fieldwork questions

1) Risk Assessment

2) Aim + Hypothesis

3) Research (include websites and say whether theyre reliable or bias etc) - Research results

4) Fieldwork (include equipment and sampling) - Fieldwork results

5) Brief conclusion

whenever possible use correct geographical terms and AVOID putting in case study details you wont get any marks for them

I hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 94
Original post by thunder-kitsune
Guys, remember this structure for the fieldwork questions

1) Risk Assessment

2) Aim + Hypothesis

3) Research (include websites and say whether theyre reliable or bias etc) - Research results

4) Fieldwork (include equipment and sampling) - Fieldwork results

5) Brief conclusion

whenever possible use correct geographical terms and AVOID putting in case study details you wont get any marks for them

I hope this helps :biggrin:

Risk assessment and hypothesis? I thought you just discuss Research (secondary data) and fieldwork (primary data) and relate it to the question given. And a conclusion of course
Yeah I don't particularly get the whole jist of that.

The way I would do my fieldwork and research is as stated above. The long paragraph I posted a while ago.
Posted from TSR Mobile

yes them too!! :smile: yes you get marks for having a clear cut hypothesis and aim as well as mentioning any form of sampling/GIS you used :smile:
Original post by Pistol 33
Risk assessment and hypothesis? I thought you just discuss Research (secondary data) and fieldwork (primary data) and relate it to the question given. And a conclusion of course

What kind of risk assessment must you write? I've just been doing an aim, research, fieldwork and then brief evaluation

Posted from TSR Mobile
i'll have to link you all to my deviant art for the files, they're too big to post directly onto student room, sorry :/ they'll be done in about 5 minutes
Reply 99
What do you write when it asks about results and conclusions?

How would you structure it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending