The Student Room Group

AS English Literature

Is anybody studying Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes Poetry in AS English Literature? Or Oleanna? The exam is on Friday and I feel fairly confident but with Literature it is so uncertain. I was also wondering if anybody has any revision techniques because I am struggling?
Reply 1
Yes I am studying Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes, maybe we could help each other because I'm not fully confident with it either.
Reply 2
Original post by H_HARB
Yes I am studying Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes, maybe we could help each other because I'm not fully confident with it either.

Cool! How have you been revising? I've only revised during schools times and mostly planned questions but I just don't know if that is enough!
Reply 3
I have mostly revised during lessons as well, but i think it's best you went through some poems and analysed key points.
Have a look at the mark schemes because they help you gain a good amount of knowledge on what the examiners are looking for. The help I need is the introduction and conclusion, do you have any tips?
I'm doing different texts but all I've really done to revise is thought about key themes and picked out some quotes for each one, and then I've done heaps of practice essays under timed conditions and had them marked by my teacher. All I'm doing now in prep for Friday is rereading the texts and god knows if that will be enough, I hope so.
Reply 5
Original post by H_HARB
I have mostly revised during lessons as well, but i think it's best you went through some poems and analysed key points.
Have a look at the mark schemes because they help you gain a good amount of knowledge on what the examiners are looking for. The help I need is the introduction and conclusion, do you have any tips?

Thank you! I will be busy revising this all day tomorrow! For the introduction you should always make sure your argument is in there and that it is strong and clear, with comparison to the partner poem. Keep your argument throughout, then in the conclusion, summarise your key points and argument in a nut shell, in a slightly more developed way than in the introduction.
Reply 6
Original post by geeklovescake
I'm doing different texts but all I've really done to revise is thought about key themes and picked out some quotes for each one, and then I've done heaps of practice essays under timed conditions and had them marked by my teacher. All I'm doing now in prep for Friday is rereading the texts and god knows if that will be enough, I hope so.

Okay thank you! Although, you've made me feel slightly nervous as I've done hardly any revision! Especially with poetry.
nooooo i've hardly done anything i promise you!! most of what i've done is during class time. check out my latest forum thread and you'll see how i feel about it! i can't revise for more than 5 maybe 10 minutes i don't know what is wrong with me :frown:
Reply 8
nooooo i've hardly done anything i promise you!! most of what i've done is during class time. check out my latest forum thread and you'll see how i feel about it! i can't revise for more than 5 maybe 10 minutes i don't know what is wrong with me :frown:

I know how you feel, I'm the exact same! I'm not in school tomorrow so I'm dedicating that day to revision and hopefully I'll feel more confident then. But right now, I just feel really nervous and like I'm going to fail!!
this is so horrible :frown: best of luck to you!!!
Reply 10
this is so horrible :frown: best of luck to you!!!

Ahh, I know. Thank you, and good luck to you too!!
Reply 11
Yessss good idea, I am on study leave so perfect time to revise aha, and thank you for the tips on the intro and conclusion i will take them into consideration when i do my practice essays! :smile:
Yeh I am doing all of those and I'm just doing past papers and revising the poems. Has anyone's teacher tried to predict this years questions, previously my teachers have in other subjects and they got them correct. :redface:
Who is doing frankienstein

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Who's doing Kindertransport? ffs it feels like I'm the only one in the world aha

Quick Reply

Latest