The Student Room Group

Exam day top tips...

Hi,

So I have a few afternoon exams coming up.

Having been taking exams consistently in the past five years, I have a few tips of my own such as

Walking into the exam room EXACTLY 15 minutes before the test. I like avoiding people on the same course or people taking the same exam as me to not get confused, in case someone asks me to explain concepts or some past paper questions

Walk into the exam room with a big bottle of water

Chew gum in the exam room

However, every exam season is a learning curve for me, and for this exam season I want to take a different approach.

So please share some top tips for the day of the exam. Best way to excel in an exam
It's worth mentioning a couple of things about the above tips.

1. That totally depends on the examination centre. My school makes everyone go in at the same time (which is generally less than 15 minutes before the exam).
2. Remember to remove the label!
3. I'm surprised that any examination centre would allow you to chew gum in an exam hall - my school definitely doesn't.

Personally, I think the number one tip is to employ every strategy you have to keep you calm. Stress and panic is your biggest enemy in an exam so you need to do everything possible to prevent that, like breathing techniques.
Reply 2
Write down the right answer.
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile
It's worth mentioning a couple of things about the above tips.

1. That totally depends on the examination centre. My school makes everyone go in at the same time (which is generally less than 15 minutes before the exam).
2. Remember to remove the label!
3. I'm surprised that any examination centre would allow you to chew gum in an exam hall - my school definitely doesn't.

Personally, I think the number one tip is to employ every strategy you have to keep you calm. Stress and panic is your biggest enemy in an exam so you need to do everything possible to prevent that, like breathing techniques.

Sorry, I forgot to mention, its a uni exam...

So there are some liberties like chewing gum
1. Wake up early, rather than being in a rush. Allow your brain to wake up too, that way you'll find it easier to recall necessary points.
2. 'Pack your bag the night before' as parents say, but seriously, put in the essentials like a calculator and as many pens as you can possibly find scattered around your house.
3. Have a final A4 sheet or a small bunch of flashcards with final concepts you're not 100% sure of, and spend 10-15 minutes looking through these (perhaps even on your journey to school). Don't bother spending longer, chances are you won't grasp the concept before the exam so there's no point wasting time.
4. If your subject teacher comes into school early, go and sit in their classroom. One of my teachers opens up his classroom from 7.30am onwards on exam days and it means that any additional questions you have can be answered, and you can chat with your classmates and help eachother out.
5. Healthy and nutritious breakfast, but if you usually have a small breakfast, keep your 'exam breakfast' small too so you don't overload yourself.
6. Music can help some people. I personally find classical music really calming, I usually play I Giorni by Ludovico Einaudi on my journey to school to keep myself as stress-free as possible.

Anybody got any tips specifically related to afternoon exams? I always find I'm completely drained of energy by then...
Original post by moggington
1. Wake up early, rather than being in a rush. Allow your brain to wake up too, that way you'll find it easier to recall necessary points.
2. 'Pack your bag the night before' as parents say, but seriously, put in the essentials like a calculator and as many pens as you can possibly find scattered around your house.
3. Have a final A4 sheet or a small bunch of flashcards with final concepts you're not 100% sure of, and spend 10-15 minutes looking through these (perhaps even on your journey to school). Don't bother spending longer, chances are you won't grasp the concept before the exam so there's no point wasting time.
4. If your subject teacher comes into school early, go and sit in their classroom. One of my teachers opens up his classroom from 7.30am onwards on exam days and it means that any additional questions you have can be answered, and you can chat with your classmates and help eachother out.
5. Healthy and nutritious breakfast, but if you usually have a small breakfast, keep your 'exam breakfast' small too so you don't overload yourself.
6. Music can help some people. I personally find classical music really calming, I usually play I Giorni by Ludovico Einaudi on my journey to school to keep myself as stress-free as possible.

Anybody got any tips specifically related to afternoon exams? I always find I'm completely drained of energy by then...

A bottle of water always helps.
I prefer talking to friends just before an exam - so many times we've been recapping some info and it's come up literally minutes later in an exam. It's good to help them out too!
- Revise probably, don't cram the day before or the morning
- Don't panic, calm down
- Try to eat breakfast, especially for morning exams - eat something which will boost you like fruit (ate grapes before the exam), avoid chocolate
- Water is good to take in the exam hall, it'll refresh your memory
- Calm down, its only letters on a paper, remember that
- Don't speak to people to compare your answers with each others
- Don't stress out about the exam, focus on the next exam you have
- Forget about results day until the day before, don't ruin your holiday by stressing over your exam results, enjoy the holiday season

Some others have been mentioned but I'll just be repeating them then
Amazinf tips. Thanks *
!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I'm not even scared or worried for an upcoming exam this week. Why?

Is this concerning?
Original post by po10tial
I'm not even scared or worried for an upcoming exam this week. Why?

Is this concerning?

I'm not either. Everyone says its better to keep calm anyways so there's no point stressing about the fact that you're not stressed.
Unless you have become so indifferent to your exams that you're considering not even turning up then there's no reason to worry.
Reply 11
Original post by TheProblematique
I'm not either. Everyone says its better to keep calm anyways so there's no point stressing about the fact that you're not stressed.
Unless you have become so indifferent to your exams that you're considering not even turning up then there's no reason to worry.

Yeah, as in like I will turn up to the exams. I am a uni student, and have been doing well at uni this year.

Thing is, the last time I took exams was in January 2014, and back then I was more serious.

This time around, I seem more laid back and relaxed.

Do you think its because of my good grades?
Have happy feels!!!! :biggrin:

nothing beats happy feels!!!! :hugs:
Read the question, do not skim it is IMPERATIVE you read the whole question and also if people around you are asking for another paper booklet don't stress out that you're not writing enough - they obviously have bigger writing than you :wink:
When you hear the five minutes left thing don't freak out, five minutes is actually quite a bit of time :smile:
Remember to keep calm because you'll do awesome :grin:
Reply 14
Original post by JamJam87
Have happy feels!!!! :biggrin:

nothing beats happy feels!!!! :hugs:

True. True.

There are more to life than exams, such as getting a nice girlfriend/future partner and having a good family :wink:

Being at uni, has actually shocked many that I know, because people have doubted me.

But yeah, nothing beats happy feelings :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by MidnightDream
Read the question, do not skim it is IMPERATIVE you read the whole question and also if people around you are asking for another paper booklet don't stress out that you're not writing enough - they obviously have bigger writing than you :wink:
When you hear the five minutes left thing don't freak out, five minutes is actually quite a bit of time :smile:
Remember to keep calm because you'll do awesome :grin:

Hi,

I last took exams in January 2014, but since that time, I have forgot the exam season.

But yeah, I tend to not speak to people before exams or get worried over the booklets.
Reply 16
Original post by po10tial
Hi,

So I have a few afternoon exams coming up.

Having been taking exams consistently in the past five years, I have a few tips of my own such as

Walking into the exam room EXACTLY 15 minutes before the test. I like avoiding people on the same course or people taking the same exam as me to not get confused, in case someone asks me to explain concepts or some past paper questions

Walk into the exam room with a big bottle of water

Chew gum in the exam room

However, every exam season is a learning curve for me, and for this exam season I want to take a different approach.

So please share some top tips for the day of the exam. Best way to excel in an exam

things i do:

before the exam have some time just to chill, no revision or anything what so ever

have a nice lunch/breakfast with lots of energy foods

go to the toilet before the exam

arrive 10mins early

when walking to college for the exam listen to happy/motivational music and think happy thoughts

have some mints before the exam

make sure i have everything organised

wear something comfy

after the exam carry on with life, revise for my next exam and forget about the previous exam

Reply 17
The one piece of advice I found effective is to not do any revision of any sort on the exam day. At all. It will just make you panic if you spot something you forgot about, you won't memorise it properly in time and you'll stress yourself out. That is the last thing you need when you're about to sit an exam! So relax in the morning, get a milkshake, eat well, spent time with friends. If you go into the exam feeling relaxed it will go much better than if you go in stressed out. Good luck.
Reply 18
Original post by moggington

I like your taste in relaxing music! I play that on my piano when I'm stressed out, especially during exam time. :redface:
Get a good night's sleep
Wake up early
Go over stuff in the morning
Listen to music (Burial is one of my faves)
Have a good breakfast
Get some exercise, go for a run or something

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending