The Student Room Group

AQA AS Unit 2 Economics 21st May 2014

********Unit 2 Exam: 21st May 2014*******

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to make a new thread for those that only want to talk about Unit 2.

:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
How prepared are you?
Reply 3
Original post by Student296
How prepared are you?

My teacher mainly prepped us for Unit 1, so I'm just self teaching myself in the mean time for Unit 2 :tongue: I really need to do even more past papers haha!
How about you?
Original post by Shanahey
My teacher mainly prepped us for Unit 1, so I'm just self teaching myself in the mean time for Unit 2 :tongue: I really need to do even more past papers haha!
How about you?

Lool,idk why but ppl,find unit2 harder?? I,feel that unit2 is more,easier as it is directed to THE LITERATE ECONOMY rather than the market side. But Exchange rate Vs Inflation is a nightmare to get your head around... Lol you havent.got.long to self.teach... Gl lol
Reply 5
Original post by SachinNeedsHelp
Lool,idk why but ppl,find unit2 harder?? I,feel that unit2 is more,easier as it is directed to THE LITERATE ECONOMY rather than the market side. But Exchange rate Vs Inflation is a nightmare to get your head around... Lol you havent.got.long to self.teach... Gl lol

I did Economics at GCSE, so I feel Unit 1 is a bit more easier for me because some of the aspects interrelate, whereas the diagrams in unit 2 are all over the place!
Yeah, I'm revising the exchange rate now, I didn't like it last year in my gcse, and I am still not liking the exchange rate lol :frown:
Reply 6
Any ideas on 25 mark question?
How about you?

I'm confident on my MCQs but haven’t done any full papers yet which is what I need to get onto asap.
I did Economics at GCSE, so I feel Unit 1 is a bit more easier for me because some of the aspects interrelate, whereas the diagrams in unit 2 are all over the place!
Yeah, I'm revising the exchange rate now, I didn't like it last year in my gcse, and I am still not liking the exchange rate lol :frown:

:/ Unfortunate for us, we didnt have an option for GCSE economics or.business... Lol this is my first tims for.economics :smile: Really enjoying it to. Although tbh
... in majority of the questions you can get away with shifts in AD curves to left of.right dependin on case study. Just got the hang of Exchange rates just been revising for like.2hrs from the Big Yellow book LOOOL it looks.like. it goes on and on forever! The other diagrams are maybe to do with LRAS if you are talkin about inflation etc (supply side.policys) shiftin LRAS to bring down inflation.
Hey. Any ideas on how to structure q4 and 8?
In micro there's a q on demand and supply and one on market failure. Is there similar structure for unit 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm taking this exam too :five: not that prepared think I'd better get a move on :smile:

Want,me to give it a go to try explaining simple.aspects of.exchange rate??? If the value of the £ falls it means other.countries can buy more as goods become.cheaper to buy from foreign countries. This boost AD as Exports are a factor of.AD. A rise in the exchange rate means exports become.expensive and foreign countries find high prices less attractive and. consume less UK exports, shiftin the AD curve to the left. Less production may also mean a rise. in imports.increasin.the size of the. current account deficit.

Sorry if its confusin maybe try Tutor2u ~ great site explains it well, and gl with unit2 exam!! :smile:
Reply 12
So my Unit 1 was pretty bad. If I'm fairly lucky I should get about 60. So really need to do good on this. Can someone share any points which would guarantee you a good amount of marks in the essay? Also any tips on how to not waste time i.e. write less but get a lot of marks. Thanks
Reply 13
Original post by MidnightDream
I'm taking this exam too :five: not that prepared think I'd better get a move on :smile:

Lol same!
Reply 14
Original post by SachinNeedsHelp
Want,me to give it a go to try explaining simple.aspects of.exchange rate??? If the value of the £ falls it means other.countries can buy more as goods become.cheaper to buy from foreign countries. This boost AD as Exports are a factor of.AD. A rise in the exchange rate means exports become.expensive and foreign countries find high prices less attractive and. consume less UK exports, shiftin the AD curve to the left. Less production may also mean a rise. in imports.increasin.the size of the. current account deficit.

Sorry if its confusin maybe try Tutor2u ~ great site explains it well, and gl with unit2 exam!! :smile:

Thanks, that was quite helpful! :smile: Good luck to you too
Original post by Economicsbgh
Hey. Any ideas on how to structure q4 and 8?
In micro there's a q on demand and supply and one on market failure. Is there similar structure for unit 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah same structure but different context. For example: Start off.with definition and Intro (extract X states blah blah blah).
Then dependin on the question you answer it with a point, diagram and logical,chain of reasoning. A trap most ppl fall for is that they WASTE time.explaining.the.diagram... You dont have to do that, but you SHOULD refer to what happens while giving logical links. (I.e. As unemployment increases, LRAS shifts to the left and give coordinates). Evaluate the policy or point youve.made.after every point rather than ONLY at the end, this shows you are evaluating through out and you will,be credited more if you evaluate after every point/policy you talk about. In evaluation talk about Long run VS. short run? Trade offs between different macroeconomic indicators, the bad sides of the policy. And then for.the.final evaluation/conclusion the same.way for.unit1. :smile:
Thanks, that was quite helpful! :smile: Good luck to you too

Haha glad I,could help... Didnt.sound helpful though loool, and yh teachin others. is.a.good way to revise :wink: :smile:
Reply 17
For the 3rd questions in Section B, could you still get 12 marks without a diagram? If not, how many marks could you possibly get upto without a diagram?
Reply 18
For the 3rd questions in Section B, could you still get 12 marks without a diagram? If not, how many marks could you possibly get upto without a diagram?

Sometimes, they will say with the help of a diagram... in which case you can only get 8 marks for writing only. Normally diagrams are worth 4-6 marks. And the writing with chain of reasoning is 8 or 12 marks. When it says explain two factors ... you will have to do 2 chains of reasoning with 3 links each so 6 marks each.

Btw can someone give some pointers on this exam? I am not feeling too confident about it. Specially because my essay in Unit 1 was really bad and I am hoping I get higher than 16/17 :frown: because I really want 90% overall
Reply 19
Original post by R2D2.
Sometimes, they will say with the help of a diagram... in which case you can only get 8 marks for writing only. Normally diagrams are worth 4-6 marks. And the writing with chain of reasoning is 8 or 12 marks. When it says explain two factors ... you will have to do 2 chains of reasoning with 3 links each so 6 marks each.

Btw can someone give some pointers on this exam? I am not feeling too confident about it. Specially because my essay in Unit 1 was really bad and I am hoping I get higher than 16/17 :frown: because I really want 90% overall

Hi I'm not sure if you have already seen this, but there's some examples of Unit 2 answers, they're not exactly the highest achieving answers, but it's a good idea to see what the examiners want you to and what they don't want you to do as they comment on the examples. http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2140-W-TRB-CEXWECON2.PDF Hope this helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest