The Student Room Group

WJEC AS English Literature - 16th May

Hello,

Anyone else do WJEC AS for English Literature? If so, what books are you doing and how are you preparing?

Poetry : Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes
Play : Kindertransport

Scroll to see replies

Me! Finally someone else sitting this! I'm doing Plath & Hughes as well but I'm doing Dancing At Lughnasa for the play :smile:
So far I've been doing past papers and making plans (so AO1,2 &3) for all the essay questions that has come up or may come up. Me and my friend are getting together tomorrow at school as well to do some more planning so hopefully we'll actually do some work then. I'm mostly dreading the time limit and the questions and the extract that's going to come up but hopefully I will have covered them all. I'm hoping that it's death or religion for Plath and a character question for Dancing at Lughnasa. My teacher came up with plants as a theme for Plath which is unusual but it's not impossible considering how many of her poems have flowers in them. How have you prepared?
I'm doing plath and hughes as well but I'm doing Oleanna as my play. For prep I am just going through old past papers and planning answers but not writing them all because that would take for ever! Also I have chose my top poems and I am studying hose loads so that what ever the question ish old hopefully be able to use one of these heavily analysed poems. And then for Oleanna I am just reading the play again, planning answers from previous questions and learning LOADS of context!
I'm doing Carol Ann Duffy and Sheenagh Pugh for the poetry, and Kindertransport for the play. To revise I've just been doing tons of plans for past paper questions. I've done loads for poetry and barely anything for Kinder apart from rereading it and my notes, so... I'm most worried for that section. :afraid:
Reply 4
Original post by Aero Zeppelin
I'm doing Carol Ann Duffy and Sheenagh Pugh for the poetry, and Kindertransport for the play. To revise I've just been doing tons of plans for past paper questions. I've done loads for poetry and barely anything for Kinder apart from rereading it and my notes, so... I'm most worried for that section. :afraid:

Original post by Questions101
I'm doing plath and hughes as well but I'm doing Oleanna as my play. For prep I am just going through old past papers and planning answers but not writing them all because that would take for ever! Also I have chose my top poems and I am studying hose loads so that what ever the question ish old hopefully be able to use one of these heavily analysed poems. And then for Oleanna I am just reading the play again, planning answers from previous questions and learning LOADS of context!

Original post by AutumnFirefly
Me! Finally someone else sitting this! I'm doing Plath & Hughes as well but I'm doing Dancing At Lughnasa for the play :smile:
So far I've been doing past papers and making plans (so AO1,2 &3) for all the essay questions that has come up or may come up. Me and my friend are getting together tomorrow at school as well to do some more planning so hopefully we'll actually do some work then. I'm mostly dreading the time limit and the questions and the extract that's going to come up but hopefully I will have covered them all. I'm hoping that it's death or religion for Plath and a character question for Dancing at Lughnasa. My teacher came up with plants as a theme for Plath which is unusual but it's not impossible considering how many of her poems have flowers in them. How have you prepared?

Hey! I think all of us are pretty much in consensus about doing plans for previous questions. Would any of you like to share some of your plans or how you would structure your answer?

My teacher has said for Poetry:

- Main Argument
- Core Poem 1
Core Poem 2
Partner Poem
- Core Poem 1
Core Poem 2
Partner Poem
-Core Poem 1
Core Poem 2
- Conclusion

I heard critical readings are not needed in order to achieve high marks?
Original post by IHTWFR
Hey! I think all of us are pretty much in consensus about doing plans for previous questions. Would any of you like to share some of your plans or how you would structure your answer?

- Main Argument
- Core Poem 1
Core Poem 2
Partner Poem
- Core Poem 1
Core Poem 2
Partner Poem
-Core Poem 1
Core Poem 2
- Conclusion

That plan is pretty much exactly how I'm going to do it. :smile: My teacher said it doesn't really matter how we structure it, as long as we are comparing and contrasting between the poems consistently throughout.

For Kindertransport I think it is just more analysis of the section given and then relating it back to other parts of the play which link or can be contrasted with it. Luckily my class had the chance to see the play at the theatre: it was amazing! I found it so boring on the page but actually going to see it really brought it to life for me and thankfully it allows me to chuck in some extra stuff in the exam!

What do you mean by critical readings?
I saw kindertransport too! But i'm not sure how to use what i saw in an answer- any suggestions??
(edited 9 years ago)
My teacher says our structure should be something like this (Using Plath & Hughes as an example):
-Introduction/Main Argument
-Plath poem 1
-Hughes poem 1
-Comparison between P&H
-Plath poem 2
-Hughes poem 2
-Comparison & Conclusion

If you mean critics when you say critical readings then for poems you don't need them but you can always put them in for the alternative interpretation part of AO3 :smile:
Original post by maggieevans
I saw kindertransport too! But i't not sure how to use what i saw in an answer- any suggestions??

Omg, Maggie? This is Kimberley hahahahahahahahaha

I hope you're the right Maggie :blushing:
Original post by Aero Zeppelin
Omg, Maggie? This is Kimberley hahahahahahahahaha

I hope you're the right Maggie :blushing:

:') fancy seeing you here
we was talking about this earlier as well!!!
I know! Haha how weird is it?! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by AutumnFirefly
My teacher says our structure should be something like this (Using Plath & Hughes as an example):
-Introduction/Main Argument
-Plath poem 1
-Hughes poem 1
-Comparison between P&H
-Plath poem 2
-Hughes poem 2
-Comparison & Conclusion

If you mean critics when you say critical readings then for poems you don't need them but you can always put them in for the alternative interpretation part of AO3 :smile:

My other teacher had told me about that structure (I discredited it as her teaching is not too great) but I'm not particularly sure about it as it looks really convoluted and for an hour that doesn't look like it will be enough.

Kindertransport: My teacher stresses the importance of context linking back to the question and not just being irrelevant context to actually fulfil A04. I saw Kindertransport in theatre as well and the main thing to note is the lighting and the symbols e.g. polishing of the glass... However I'm yet to find any lighting in the actually script!

I'm really scared about timing. Have they given us an hour to write because they want well constructed answers that have great expression or is it because they want us to write as much as possible in the time given? Normally for History our 30 markers are one minute per mark and now English are giving me an extra 30 minutes. I would have thought that 30 minutes would be used to think up about great analysis and how to express it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IHTWFR

- Main Argument
- Core Poem 1
Core Poem 2
Partner Poem
- Core Poem 1
Core Poem 2
Partner Poem
-Core Poem 1
Core Poem 2
- Conclusion

Yeah, that's how we've been taught but we've been told we need 'critical quotations' to get the higher marks
Anyone else doing Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes? Would care to explain the poems:
"football"
"little fugue"
"the thought fox"
"pike"

would be greatly appreciated!
Also does anyone have any clue what the question could be this year? Did any teachers perhaps give a small clue as to what they thought it may be?
Original post by IHTWFR

- Main Argument
- Core Poem 1
Core Poem 2
Partner Poem
- Core Poem 1
Core Poem 2
Partner Poem
-Core Poem 1
Core Poem 2
- Conclusion

This is the plan my teacher has suggested...
Intro
Plath poem 1, first point 3 PEAs
link to Hughes 1 PEA
Plath poem 1, second point 2 PEAs
link to Hughes 1 PEA
Plath poem 2, first point 3 PEAs
link to Hughes poem 2 PEA
Plath poem 2, second point 2 PEAs
link to Hughes poem 2
Conclusion

Remember it is roughly a 70% core poem and 30% partner poem split!
I always make the mistake of writing too much Hughes but hopefully with this plan I will remember :biggrin:
Reply 16
I'm doing Plath and Hughes with Kindertransport as the play as well... Any help or tips on how to structure the Kindertransport questions?
Reply 17
Original post by Questions101
This is the plan my teacher has suggested...
Intro
Plath poem 1, first point 3 PEAs
link to Hughes 1 PEA
Plath poem 1, second point 2 PEAs
link to Hughes 1 PEA
Plath poem 2, first point 3 PEAs
link to Hughes poem 2 PEA
Plath poem 2, second point 2 PEAs
link to Hughes poem 2
Conclusion

Remember it is roughly a 70% core poem and 30% partner poem split!
I always make the mistake of writing too much Hughes but hopefully with this plan I will remember :biggrin:

I really don't understand that structure. Care to explain? Is 3 PEA's a bit too much just for a first point?

Also, could anyone help with how to structure the answer for the play side of the exam paper?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IHTWFR
I really don't understand that structure. Care to explain? Is 3 PEA's a bit too much just for a first point?

Also, could anyone help with how to structure the answer for the play side of the exam paper?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

You make quite a generally point and then zoom in and look at different techniques like structure, language etc
Reply 19
Does anyone have any predictions as to what could come up for dancing at lughnasa? and poetry section, regarding Duffy? :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending