The Student Room Group

Sociology SCLY1 exam 15thMay 2014

how did everyone find it?
I thought it was pretty good compare to what I imagined, I just didnt do as well for the ageing population UGH i prayed for it not to come up and it did
btw can anyone tell me the correct definition of beanpole family? I asked a few people in my exams and they all gave me different type of answers o.o
Just wanna know if I was right or wrong :frown:

Scroll to see replies

I'm really gutted with the exam! For beanpole family I wrote something like a family containing many generations but there aren't many people in each generation, for example a grandmother livin with her daughter and granddaughter (have absolutely no idea if this is right hahah)! Really hated the ageing populations questions, we spent 10 minutes of one lesson right at the start of the year on ageing populations so I know nothing about them! Couldn't include any names of sociologists in my essays either! :frown: I worked so hard for this exam!!!!! Frustrating!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A future Midwife
I'm really gutted with the exam! For beanpole family I wrote something like a family containing many generations but there aren't many people in each generation, for example a grandmother livin with her daughter and granddaughter (have absolutely no idea if this is right hahah)! Really hated the ageing populations questions, we spent 10 minutes of one lesson right at the start of the year on ageing populations so I know nothing about them! Couldn't include any names of sociologists in my essays either! :frown: I worked so hard for this exam!!!!! Frustrating!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My god, i put something similar for beanpole! HAHA
I was so gutted too..... the family patterns question I didnt mind, and I actually wrote alot more for that and included so many sociologist in there! until i read the ageing population OHMYGOD, i hated it! If they didnt have the item, I dont think I could even write a paragraph! So annoyed too.... lets just hope many people found that question hard and grade boundary will drop :frown: I worked so hard for this unit and its one of the easiest unit! and i couldnt cope..... i dont know how im gna cope with unit 2 :frown::frown:
I worked hard for sociology and pretty much knew all the topics, just annoyed that ageing population was such a minor sub-topic in Demography and there was a whole essay on it! Almost 9 months of work is dependant on how "nice" the question is, I definitely didn't get a chance to show I knew any theories or sociologists!
so true, with me the problem came down to time one hour for 2 essay q's! and small q's that's just sneaky...i had the pts...not the time...its not the knowledge that is hard it's the exam layout..they need to reconsider this!:smile:..but i guess it balances out with the 2hr exam for unti2
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
I don't think there was any key sociologist or theories to do with the ageing population question, or is it just me?
Reply 6
one of my friend she did not refer her question back to the item... will she lose marks???? i hope not
Original post by aisha 56
one of my friend she did not refer her question back to the item... will she lose marks???? i hope not

If she didn't refer to the item she can't get higher than a C.....
Original post by Sufiyan
I don't think there was any key sociologist or theories to do with the ageing population question, or is it just me?

I just made the theories up e.g. Marxist would think the ageing population was good as it drains money from the bourgeoisie through pensions etc.

Probably not right but its what I did ^.^
Reply 9
Well, the item was there to refer back to, so I'm guessing she did. Or maybe that mark is optional so she could cover it up with good points
Reply 10
Original post by Stripeylord
I just made the theories up e.g. Marxist would think the ageing population was good as it drains money from the bourgeoisie through pensions etc.

Probably not right but its what I did ^.^

Ohh, I didn't mention any key theorists or theories just points and evaluations. I did it at the top of my head lol xD

What did you write about the Changing patterns questions? I talked about Change in women's priorities (used Young and Willmotts study of the Symmetrical family, where the woman works), also I talked about cohabitation and laws such as the divorce reform act. What do you think?
are you extremely sure about it??????
I thought the exam was okay!

For question 1 i put: A family that is tall and thin in structure, which contains very few generations, and few people within each generation.

Number 2 and 3 sorta stalled me a bit.

For 2: Neglect and Abuse, and making women dependent upon males, as well as for back-up making women to be responsible for domestic work.
3 I completely forgot about the Symmetrical Family, so had a guess: Leisure Time is more home-centred, Domestic tasks are shared, and Less or no domestic violence. But luckily my essays seemed to relatively good.

For the first one, I mentioned a few trends etc like Decrease in 1st Time Marriages, and Increase in 2nd Time Marriages, with an emergance of Gay Marriages, and same for Divorce. Then for marriage i said: Changing Attitudes, Declining Stigma to alternatives e.g. Cohab, Position of Women, where they no longer need to be dependent upon males, and prioritise education and careers, Secularisation and Fear of Divorce, in which for Divorce I mentioned factors such as declining stigma attached to divorce (mitchell and Goody), High Expectations (Funct and Fletcher), Secularisation, Changing position of women, as well as another reason.

I personally thought the 2nd essay question was fantastic, because that, along with the beanpole family question may of lowered the grade boundaries. Mention the social construction of ageing, as well as affects upon dependency ratio and public health and social services. Included the Griffiths Report 1988, as well as authors such as Hirsch, and Townsend.

Hopefully secured a high B
Original post by Sufiyan
Ohh, I didn't mention any key theorists or theories just points and evaluations. I did it at the top of my head lol xD

What did you write about the Changing patterns questions? I talked about Change in women's priorities (used Young and Willmotts study of the Symmetrical family, where the woman works), also I talked about cohabitation and laws such as the divorce reform act. What do you think?

I think some of my key points were secularization, the rising feminist movement, less stigmatization, changes in the law and a bunch of other stuff including theories and theorists :3
but she didn't refer it back to item... one other girl last year, she did not refer back to the item.. she still got an A... may be her examiner didn't notice.
Reply 15
Original post by aydob001
I thought the exam was okay!

For question 1 i put: A family that is tall and thin in structure, which contains very few generations, and few people within each generation.

Number 2 and 3 sorta stalled me a bit.

For 2: Neglect and Abuse, and making women dependent upon males, as well as for back-up making women to be responsible for domestic work.
3 I completely forgot about the Symmetrical Family, so had a guess: Leisure Time is more home-centred, Domestic tasks are shared, and Less or no domestic violence. But luckily my essays seemed to relatively good.

For the first one, I mentioned a few trends etc like Decrease in 1st Time Marriages, and Increase in 2nd Time Marriages, with an emergance of Gay Marriages, and same for Divorce. Then for marriage i said: Changing Attitudes, Declining Stigma to alternatives e.g. Cohab, Position of Women, where they no longer need to be dependent upon males, and prioritise education and careers, Secularisation and Fear of Divorce, in which for Divorce I mentioned factors such as declining stigma attached to divorce (mitchell and Goody), High Expectations (Funct and Fletcher), Secularisation, Changing position of women, as well as another reason.

I personally thought the 2nd essay question was fantastic, because that, along with the beanpole family question may of lowered the grade boundaries. Mention the social construction of ageing, as well as affects upon dependency ratio and public health and social services. Included the Griffiths Report 1988, as well as authors such as Hirsch, and Townsend.

Hopefully secured a high B

Damn that sounds pretty solid to me haha. I didn't find time to write much in my essays. I made like 3 points with evaluations for each point + some key theorists. I'm not really sure but I hope I pass at least lel
Original post by Sufiyan
Damn that sounds pretty solid to me haha. I didn't find time to write much in my essays. I made like 3 points with evaluations for each point + some key theorists. I'm not really sure but I hope I pass at least lel

Im sure you'd of done fine mate! Im going to have to start going on Education tomorrow. Absolute hate the Social class and ethnic differences in education. Everything else is okay
Really with how the exam went. At first was puzzled at the idea of the beanpole family but remembered. Was really pleased divorce came up as that's my favourite and strength. However I was disappointed that such a small topic came up for the 24mark question and felt as if I was plucking up answers from nowhere. What effects of the ageing population on the positive side did you guys use? Couldn't find many positives!
Reply 18
Original post by aydob001
Im sure you'd of done fine mate! Im going to have to start going on Education tomorrow. Absolute hate the Social class and ethnic differences in education. Everything else is okay

Ah man that's gonna be a killer! I haven't done much revision on unit 2 lol. Even though it consists of 2 sub-units!!
Original post by Sufiyan
Ah man that's gonna be a killer! I haven't done much revision on unit 2 lol. Even though it consists of 2 sub-units!!

well, for Research Methods it pretty easy to remember, as well as education policy and theory. Just with internal and external factors, there are so many authors. Im sure we'll get through it:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest