The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Wimbledon College of Art | UAL

Hi! I got in Costume Design at the Wimbledon College of Arts and i wanted to know my future colleagues :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Hey,
My name is Afshan and I will be studying on the same course :smile: I am unbelievably excited! Where are you from and what lead you to decide to study costume? I've never really met anyone else who shared my passions except when I went to uni interviews : )
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Hey I'm Carla and I'm also going to Wimbledon for Costume Design! :smile: Really excited! Are you planning to stay in halls? :smile: Trying to get to know as many people as I can! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey Carla, I've applied for Furzedown only, if I don't get a place I'll have to go private. I spoke to the UAL private accommodation office and they said finding somewhere to live in London is quite last minute. I'd have to stay in London temporarily in August whilst I house hunt :/ It's not really ideal, even though it can be cheaper to rent a room in Wimbledon than to live in halls.
What about you?
Are you doing a foundation art/design course at the moment?
Oh and do you know how many people will be in our class, I forgot to ask the tutors :smile:
Original post by Glitter Of Gold
Hey Carla, I've applied for Furzedown only, if I don't get a place I'll have to go private. I spoke to the UAL private accommodation office and they said finding somewhere to live in London is quite last minute. I'd have to stay in London temporarily in August whilst I house hunt :/ It's not really ideal, even though it can be cheaper to rent a room in Wimbledon than to live in halls.
What about you?
Are you doing a foundation art/design course at the moment?
Oh and do you know how many people will be in our class, I forgot to ask the tutors :smile:

If it helps you at all I went through Finddigs, the people that run the Furzedown halls, so I've already got my room sorted there :smile:! You could always give them a call and see if they can guarantee you a room :biggrin: You'd probably have more fun living in halls for first year and get to know more people :smile: Are you from London/England yourself? Yeah I'm doing foundation! Nearly finished for the year now! I actually have no idea, I meant to ask that too, I can't imagine there is that many though :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really? I didn't even know you could do that. I've already made my application through UAL so I'm sure it will be fine. But thanks for the info :smile: Haha my name is probably a bit misleading, I'm British and I live in Sheffield. Although I was born in Australia and lived there until I was sixteen, I used to dream about going to UAL when I was younger so it's a dream come true to actually be going to UAL. Where are you from? And where are you doing your foundation? I did mine at the Sheffield College, so I'm going to be so intimidated by everyone who has done their foundation at a uni!
Really? I didn't even know you could do that. I've already made my application through UAL so I'm sure it will be fine. But thanks for the info :smile: Haha my name is probably a bit misleading, I'm British and I live in Sheffield. Although I was born in Australia and lived there until I was sixteen, I used to dream about going to UAL when I was younger so it's a dream come true to actually be going to UAL. Where are you from? And where are you doing your foundation? I did mine at the Sheffield College, so I'm going to be so intimidated by everyone who has done their foundation at a uni!

At least you have a backup :smile: Awh cool! Yeah London itself is where I've been looking to live since I'd started secondary school, and I've always loved fashion and costume :biggrin: Although I'm from Ireland so it will be a massive change :s-smilie: Yeah I did mine at a college too, but only because there's only one Uni in Ireland that does it haha! Can't wait for September now :biggrin:!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow! That will be quite a move for you, I bet you have a wicked accent. Yeah, I've always been drawn to clothing from a young age, textiles was by far my favourite subject. I thought I was going to be a fashion designer for so long but I realised costume was my calling because I've always been enthralled by fantasy, literature and history.
How was your interview? I was shaking and I was digging myself verbal holes for part mine :/ Wimbledon was the only university I wanted to go to, I started screaming when I saw the unconditional offer the next day.

I can't wait either! I'm on a gap year working full time retail with two jobs and it is so creatively draining.
Do you know what type of costume you want to go into? And what are some of your favourite costumes?
Wow! That will be quite a move for you, I bet you have a wicked accent. Yeah, I've always been drawn to clothing from a young age, textiles was by far my favourite subject. I thought I was going to be a fashion designer for so long but I realised costume was my calling because I've always been enthralled by fantasy, literature and history.
How was your interview? I was shaking and I was digging myself verbal holes for part mine :/ Wimbledon was the only university I wanted to go to, I started screaming when I saw the unconditional offer the next day.

I can't wait either! I'm on a gap year working full time retail with two jobs and it is so creatively draining.
Do you know what type of costume you want to go into? And what are some of your favourite costumes?

Haha I'm not so sure about that! Yeah I'm the exact same! I wanted to go into fashion design for a long time, but I've always been involved in theatre and acting/orchestra and I realised I loved the theatricality of costumes as opposed to fashion. It wasn't really to this year when I won a competition for the Royal opera house that I really decided costume was right for me :smile:
In my interview I felt so nervous and I'm pretty sure I started talking about the door behind her lol so I was pretty shocked when I got my offer lol!

Awh I'm sure you can't wait to get started then :smile:! I'm not entirely sure yet, I love all kinds of costume. I really love everything Catherine Martin produces, especially the Moulin Rouge costumes! What is yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You sound a lot more experienced than me. I've never really been involved in theatre or any performances. Oh wow, that award sounds impressive :smile: What did you design?
Yeah I can't wait, it feels like uni is some sort of elaborate fantasy I've invented in my head, like I'll be stuck working in a shop for the rest of my life haha.

Catherine Martin is very talented, although I'm a huge Colleen Atwood fan. Oh and I lovelovelove Michele Clapton's work on Game Of Thrones, the details on the clothing are astounding, if I even can produce something with half her level of talent I will die a very happy designer. I love way too many costume designers I could go on forever.

Where else did you apply for costume design?
You sound a lot more experienced than me. I've never really been involved in theatre or any performances. Oh wow, that award sounds impressive :smile: What did you design?
Yeah I can't wait, it feels like uni is some sort of elaborate fantasy I've invented in my head, like I'll be stuck working in a shop for the rest of my life haha.

Catherine Martin is very talented, although I'm a huge Colleen Atwood fan. Oh and I lovelovelove Michele Clapton's work on Game Of Thrones, the details on the clothing are astounding, if I even can produce something with half her level of talent I will die a very happy designer. I love way too many costume designers I could go on forever.

Where else did you apply for costume design?

I designed and made a ballet dress for the sleeping beauty :smile:
I know, it's crazy to think what it's going to be like this time next year! Big change :biggrin:
Awh yes Colleen Atwood is brilliant especially when she teams up with Tim Burton! Haha I actually live in 'Winterfell' or where it should be lol! I love the GOT costumes too especially Cersai's :smile:
I applied to London college of fashion and got an offer but I preferred the atmosphere and friendly feel in Wimbledon! So I'm pretty happy I got in :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry for the late reply I was doing an early shift at work this morning. So stressful because the sky decided to rain on the newspaper delivery and the distributor has clearly never heard of plastic wrap haha.
That sounds epic, I have heard that ballet dresses are notoriously difficult with all the layers of netting. I'd love to see some pictures :smile:
Oh hell yes, I love Tim Burton. Do you mean that you live where they shoot the Winterfell scenes or that George RR Martin drew inspiration from where you live? (haha sorry total GOT nerd, I'm like 3 chapters off finishing the final book he wrote, soooo gooooddd).
I love Cersei's gowns they are so beatiful, like part kimono, part medieval gown. I love the designs for Elaria Sand, especially at Joffrey's wedding:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/36900000/Oberyn-Martell-and-Ellaria-Sand-game-of-thrones-couples-36951876-630-419.jpg

That's awesome, I got rejected from LCF but I kind of expected it. I don't have the same level of experience as other people, I never took art at A level, I focused primarily on academic subjects like history and literature. And I am terrified of drawing, which is ridiculous but true so I find it hard to experiment, so I must lack fluidity if that makes sense. But I must of done something right to get into Wimbledon lol.

Do you want to continue this conversation over email? I feel like we are hijacking this thread. Can I private message you my email?
Sorry for the late reply I was doing an early shift at work this morning. So stressful because the sky decided to rain on the newspaper delivery and the distributor has clearly never heard of plastic wrap haha.
That sounds epic, I have heard that ballet dresses are notoriously difficult with all the layers of netting. I'd love to see some pictures :smile:
Oh hell yes, I love Tim Burton. Do you mean that you live where they shoot the Winterfell scenes or that George RR Martin drew inspiration from where you live? (haha sorry total GOT nerd, I'm like 3 chapters off finishing the final book he wrote, soooo gooooddd).
I love Cersei's gowns they are so beatiful, like part kimono, part medieval gown. I love the designs for Elaria Sand, especially at Joffrey's wedding:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/36900000/Oberyn-Martell-and-Ellaria-Sand-game-of-thrones-couples-36951876-630-419.jpg

That's awesome, I got rejected from LCF but I kind of expected it. I don't have the same level of experience as other people, I never took art at A level, I focused primarily on academic subjects like history and literature. And I am terrified of drawing, which is ridiculous but true so I find it hard to experiment, so I must lack fluidity if that makes sense. But I must of done something right to get into Wimbledon lol.

Do you want to continue this conversation over email? I feel like we are hijacking this thread. Can I private message you my email?

Haha that's no problem :smile:
Yeah I spent quite a bit of time trying to understand how ballet dancers actually needed to move in their costumes, so if anything I got a new found respect for ballet lol!
It's cool I am too, I live where the shoot it :P They really are, all the costumes are so beautifully shaped! I actually loved Joffrey's wedding outfit oddly enough, it had amazing material!

LCF is great but I wasn't really keen on the area and I loved the more friendly feel of Wimbledon! :smile: Haha definitely! I'm not entirely sure what it was LCF was looking to see in their portfolios but I guess it doesn't matter now anyway :P

Yeah of course feel free :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Hi!

I'm sorry for spamming your conversation, but I couldn't really start a new forum, I have no idea why. (:
I would just like to know more about Wimbledon, because I need to decide in a few weeks if I want to go there! (: I got in to Set Design for Screen. Do you guys know something about that? How many ppl are in one class? And what do you think about personal attention there? Can you consult with teachers enough? How much can you work in bigger projects, maybe in any proffessional ones? Do they expect you to work hard, or just let you go with the flow? (: I have so many other questions, but for now, I suppose it's enough (:

Thanks a lot!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi, haha you're not spamming our conversation, we moved it to email otherwise this thread would overflow. You'd be best contacting the university itself and asking them some of those questions. I don't really know anything about your course because it's not my area of interest as I'm going to be studying costume design. Sorry for not being much help.
Original post by CarlaJean
If it helps you at all I went through Finddigs, the people that run the Furzedown halls, so I've already got my room sorted there :smile:! You could always give them a call and see if they can guarantee you a room :biggrin: You'd probably have more fun living in halls for first year and get to know more people :smile: Are you from London/England yourself? Yeah I'm doing foundation! Nearly finished for the year now! I actually have no idea, I meant to ask that too, I can't imagine there is that many though :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! I'm think i'm going to furzedown too, but i have this huge problem.. i applied to costume design and they sent me an offer of theatre design and until now, the uni said that would give me a call to try to figure out how things are going to go and still nothing... the worst of this is that i can't apply to furzedown because i don't have the ID and if you apply by UAL to furzedown you have a 20 pounds of discount every week =/ I think i'm the only one still in this situation
Original post by BarbaraGSamuel
Hi! I'm think i'm going to furzedown too, but i have this huge problem.. i applied to costume design and they sent me an offer of theatre design and until now, the uni said that would give me a call to try to figure out how things are going to go and still nothing... the worst of this is that i can't apply to furzedown because i don't have the ID and if you apply by UAL to furzedown you have a 20 pounds of discount every week =/ I think i'm the only one still in this situation

Oh gosh that's an unfortunate situation! Your best idea is probably to call up Wimbledon yourself and ask to speak to the costume design and/or the theatre design course directors and try to get a answer over the phone so you know for sure what's happening :smile: you can also call up the admissions and they will give you your ID num! Not sure if this helps, hope all goes well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh gosh that's an unfortunate situation! Your best idea is probably to call up Wimbledon yourself and ask to speak to the costume design and/or the theatre design course directors and try to get a answer over the phone so you know for sure what's happening :smile: you can also call up the admissions and they will give you your ID num! Not sure if this helps, hope all goes well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the other problem... i've called the uni and they said that the course director would give me a call, so i have to wait... are you sure that if i call to the admissions,that they will give me the ID? =O that would change a lot...
Original post by BarbaraGSamuel
That's the other problem... i've called the uni and they said that the course director would give me a call, so i have to wait... are you sure that if i call to the admissions,that they will give me the ID? =O that would change a lot...

Ah that is a problem, if you don't get a call back in the next week you'll probably end up having to call again yourself! Yeah that should be no problem somebody will definitely give you it, at least that way you'll get your accommodation sorted! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah that is a problem, if you don't get a call back in the next week you'll probably end up having to call again yourself! Yeah that should be no problem somebody will definitely give you it, at least that way you'll get your accommodation sorted! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

For real? omg you just saved my life and you don't even know me LOL thank you so much! oh... well now i still have to wait until monday =/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending