The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE History Medicine Through Time, exam tommorow. 16th may

Hey guys, history exam tommorow!
Anyone got any clues on what is likely to come up? & what will probably not come up.. i need something to focus my revision on :-(

Thank you xo

Scroll to see replies

It would be best to revise Weimar Germany, as well as the Treaty of Versailles, Steps to war, i.e. Appeasement, as well as the League of Nations.
Reply 2
Original post by BA.Peluso Rt Hon
It would be best to revise Weimar Germany, as well as the Treaty of Versailles, Steps to war, i.e. Appeasement, as well as the League of Nations.

Hey,
i'm doing edexcel history, medicine.. so none of that comes up!
thank you though x
Original post by tmurana
Hey,
i'm doing edexcel history, medicine.. so none of that comes up!
thank you though x

Oh right, I have always felt that the course I am doing has an edge over your syllabus, due to more interesting topics. But each to their own I say!
Hi, I would advise you to revise everything apart from 'Public Health from c1350 to Present Day.' In my opinion that section is useless as the question for it, in 6(a) and 6(b) is always the most difficult. So by this, I would recommend you learn Medicine and Treatment (c1350-c1750) (c1750-c1900) (c1900 - Present Day) and Medicine and public health from Roman Britain to c1350.

For questions, me too, I'm not particularly sure what will come up but be sure to revise key individuals, Galen, Hippocrates, Florey & Chain, Alexander Fleming, Florence Nightingale/Garrett Anderson, Robert Koch & Louis Pasteur. Also learn key events/discoveries like the NHS in 1948, Magic Bullets, Germ Theory etc.

Hope I helped and good luck tomorrow! :smile:
Reply 5
Don't forget to get through the paper quickly so that you have enough time to write out the 10 marker in detail, and I would recommend doing the knowledge 10 marker as its reasonably shorter. Also consider that the 10 marker might be on factors that helped developments. :smile:
Original post by reelind
Don't forget to get through the paper quickly so that you have enough time to write out the 10 marker in detail, and I would recommend doing the knowledge 10 marker as its reasonably shorter. Also consider that the 10 marker might be on factors that helped developments. :smile:

In Edexcel, there are only 4/9/12/16 markers! But yes, do write in as much detail as possible; use key dates while giving a judgement.
Original post by BA.Peluso Rt Hon
Oh right, I have always felt that the course I am doing has an edge over your syllabus, due to more interesting topics. But each to their own I say!

That is in the edexcel course but in the second part of the exam.
Reply 8
Will public health always come up for the 16 mark question?
Original post by TSR Mustafa
That is in the edexcel course but in the second part of the exam.

Yes I have discovered this myself after viewing the syllabus.
Reply 10
Original post by JustAnotherExam
Hi, I would advise you to revise everything apart from 'Public Health from c1350 to Present Day.' In my opinion that section is useless as the question for it, in 6(a) and 6(b) is always the most difficult. So by this, I would recommend you learn Medicine and Treatment (c1350-c1750) (c1750-c1900) (c1900 - Present Day) and Medicine and public health from Roman Britain to c1350.

For questions, me too, I'm not particularly sure what will come up but be sure to revise key individuals, Galen, Hippocrates, Florey & Chain, Alexander Fleming, Florence Nightingale/Garrett Anderson, Robert Koch & Louis Pasteur. Also learn key events/discoveries like the NHS in 1948, Magic Bullets, Germ Theory etc.

Thank you & will do!
Hope we both do well :smile: xo
Reply 11
Original post by JustAnotherExam

eugh, i hate magic bullets. i just can't get my head around them. does anyone know which individuals are likely to come up? i know florence nightingale, pasteur, hippocrates have come up before
Reply 12
how did u find the test, edexcel medine paper. I did it today, and I found it okay, hopefully the grade boundaries are low
Original post by Khan_97
how did u find the test, edexcel medine paper. I did it today, and I found it okay, hopefully the grade boundaries are low

Quite easy
Reply 14
It was okay I feel quite confident what question did you do for the 16 marks 5 or 6?
Reply 15
Original post by Zain khan
Quite easy

Which questions did you do for the last one 5 or 6?
Reply 16
I did qu 6 I hated the 16 marker on qu 5. Did you do the Edward jenner qu what did u write? I think I'm going to get 8 in that. What did u write for the 16 marker question. Qu 6
Reply 17
Original post by Khan_97
I did qu 6 I hated the 16 marker on qu 5. Did you do the Edward jenner qu what did u write? I think I'm going to get 8 in that. What did u write for the 16 marker question. Qu 6
I answered question 5 and for the Edward Jenner one I said that doctors opposed his vaccination because they were only interesting in getting money from the inoculation process. On the other hand I argued that most doctors used the wrong dosage so killed their patient thus some people decided to have Jenner's vaccination. I also talked about the fact that people thought using animals for medicinal purposes was unethical so many people did not have the vaccination until the vaccination was made free.
Reply 18
for the jenner qu I wrote that he couldn't explain how it worked, doctors couldn't copy it correctly it was expensive so poor couldn't use it and that it carried death risks.
Reply 19
Original post by Khan_97
for the jenner qu I wrote that he couldn't explain how it worked, doctors couldn't copy it correctly it was expensive so poor couldn't use it and that it carried death risks.

That sounds good, for the 2nd question did you talk about the decline of the church in the renaissance and if so what did you write?

Quick Reply

Latest