The Student Room Group

Igcse chemistry edexcel - paper 1c (13.5.14)

Scroll to see replies

Doea anyone remember what exactly the last question of the exam was about? Was it titrations?
Original post by Killerfishfinger
It asked you to draw an isomer of pentane or butane, I can't remember.

Oh yeah that one - the answer was c-c-c with another c bonded to the middle carbon.

Original post by Killerfishfinger
Doea anyone remember what exactly the last question of the exam was about? Was it titrations?

Yes, it was titrations, methyl orange and the very last two parts were calculations (which I messed up, but will get working marks).

I also messed up the bit about the structure of diamond - I stupidly spoke about intermolecular forces rather than covalent bonds... Other than that it was good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by midgemeister7
Oh yeah that one - the answer was c-c-c with another c bonded to the middle carbon.

Yes, it was titrations, methyl orange and the very last two parts were calculations (which I messed up, but will get working marks).

I also messed up the bit about the structure of diamond - I stupidly spoke about intermolecular forces rather than covalent bonds... Other than that it was good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wrote about intermolecular forces and covalent bonds just when in not sure I right anything :/ what was the methyl orange colour change for that question?
Original post by ella_chloe
I wrote about intermolecular forces and covalent bonds just when in not sure I right anything :/ what was the methyl orange colour change for that question?

Yeah unfortunately they reject intermolecular forces completely so we'll be lucky to get many marks at all :frown: the answer to the methyl orange question was that it changes from yellow - orange. I put colourless to orange as I wasn't sure but at least I'll get one mark. Lol writing this makes me feel like I've done awful, I really haven't though! I hope :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah unfortunately they reject intermolecular forces completely so we'll be lucky to get many marks at all :frown: the answer to the methyl orange question was that it changes from yellow - orange. I put colourless to orange as I wasn't sure but at least I'll get one mark. Lol writing this makes me feel like I've done awful, I really haven't though! I hope :P

I'm exactly the same - after every single exam I focus on the questions I know I got wrong, and don't even consider ones I've got right. It creates the illusion (I hope :P) that I've done really badly.

Although, I did go full retard by calling a funnel a Cone on the FIRST question. >_<

I made it up, wrote from red to orange haha atleast its a marj for orange hopefully, ive only found qhat ive done wrong so far :frown: I think it should be okay though

Posted from TSR Mobile
hows everyone feeling for physics tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liamtheeagle
That's it for me and Chemistry, I'm in Double Award so I have no extra paper.

Maths and Spanish tomorrow.

How did you find the maths paper?!
Original post by alexandrahowes11
How did you find the maths paper?!

First half was calm, found the last half pretty hard though, think I managed to get an A.

Second paper next tuesday anyway hopefully do better in
Original post by liamtheeagle
First half was calm, found the last half pretty hard though, think I managed to get an A.

Second paper next tuesday anyway hopefully do better in

ahhhh me too! Got 99% in mocks for 3H but I had a panic attack :frown: aand fractions are my enemy and like half that paper was fractions!!!! Well not half but still!
Original post by Porkchop
Are you sure it was from yellow to orange? I'm quite certain it wasn't an alkali solution at any point. I wrote either orange to red or red to orange.

Oh yes sorry, you might be right - I got it wrong so not really the best to advise on that particular question!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did people find today's physics paper?
I found it okay although some questions were kind of hard, But hoping to get a 100/120.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh yes sorry, you might be right - I got it wrong so not really the best to advise on that particular question!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought the question involved NaOH?
Oh god I don't know anymore. I can't remember what I put :/
Whatever it was, it went to orange (neutralisation)
Original post by alexandrahowes11
ahhhh me too! Got 99% in mocks for 3H but I had a panic attack :frown: aand fractions are my enemy and like half that paper was fractions!!!! Well not half but still!

Definitely not too good with fractions there :wink:
Original post by danconway
I thought the question involved NaOH?
Oh god I don't know anymore. I can't remember what I put :/
Whatever it was, it went to orange (neutralisation)

I'm pretty sure the methyl orange was put into the solution of NaOH, besides the solution of known concentration is always in the beaker, into which the indicator gets put. So my guess would be yellow to orange
Original post by Renzhi10122
I'm pretty sure the methyl orange was put into the solution of NaOH, besides the solution of known concentration is always in the beaker, into which the indicator gets put. So my guess would be yellow to orange

That's the same reasoning i used. It was from yellow to orange.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
What was the last question about? I'm really worried I missed it
Reply 77
Original post by Jackhay
What was the last question about? I'm really worried I missed it

If I remember correctly the last question was working out the mass of something that would react with the NaOH, the answer was 8.8g
Reply 78
Original post by Whizbox
If I remember correctly the last question was working out the mass of something that would react with the NaOH, the answer was 8.8g

Oh yeah, was that the one where before it asked for the moles or conc. of NaOH and it was like 0.25/0.25?
Reply 79
Guys, can someone tell me why we heat the acid (the crystallization question)? I wrote that it causes it to break off into it's ions :/ and why do crystals form when it's cooled? I wrote that it's because the temperature exceeds or reaches its freezing point, so it becomes a solid! I think I did both of those wrong, but the rest of the paper was PERFECT :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending