The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry - C2 and C3 15th May

Scroll to see replies

What did people say for why glass lowers the melting point?
Original post by MATHSPOW!!
yes I said the different compounds in the mixture travel at different speeds through the column that's the same thingy Haha... I hope

Yup, different retention times (keyword)!
Original post by Kirankhalsa
What did people say for why glass lowers the melting point?

Impurities in the glass.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sophsha
Why, its not that bad :smile:

I suppose not, but the majority of my science lessons were biology and chemistry, I got physics only once on one week, and twice on another :frown:
I'll be watching mygcsescience physics videos all weekend haha :smile:
Original post by XenonSabre
For the 'why wasn't the actual yield gained' question on C2, do you think i'll get 'it was only the theoretical yield'?

I don't have a clue, I've written because it's a reversible reaction, not sure if its right ;x
Original post by CurleysWife
I suppose not, but the majority of my science lessons were biology and chemistry, I got physics only once on one week, and twice on another :frown:
I'll be watching mygcsescience physics videos all weekend haha :smile:

Same haha hopefully the paper wont be as bad as bio!
Original post by majmuh24
Impurities in the glass.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wrote about weak intermolecular forces, therefore they're easy to overcome, meaning it has a low melting point.
Is that correct? (More of an educated guess to be fair)
Original post by kelly_kelly
2 sodium atoms, each with 1 outer electron,
ionically bond with oxygen atom, 6 outer electrons - thus all 3 atoms gain full outer shells. :colone:

Eep, would I gain mark if i've written (Na)2O2?
Original post by S.Ahmad
Yup, different retention times (keyword)!

Oh lol
Why didn't I think of using that word haha well hopefully the mark scheme is lenient on that one ah...
Original post by S.Ahmad
I wrote about weak intermolecular forces, therefore they're easy to overcome, meaning it has a low melting point.
Is that correct? (More of an educated guess to be fair)

I said it was a damn alloy... It was only one mark erm
Original post by S.Ahmad
I wrote about weak intermolecular forces, therefore they're easy to overcome, meaning it has a low melting point.Is that correct? (More of an educated guess to be fair)
I can't see why that would give it a lower mp than silicon dioxide, it's still the same substance.
Original post by harmingjuli
Does anyone remember the number of marks for the Oxygen covalent bond question?

In a rush, put only 2 shared electrons in the middle and am trying to calculate how many marks I lost for certain.

It was just two marks so it's not that bad..I realised with one minute to go in a french exam that I did the six mark question all wrong..:frown: 6 marks down the drain
Here's a list of All questions and the marks... 99.9% sure these are completely correct haha :smile:

Wow you have one good memory:eek:
For the dot and cross diagram for showing how oxygen shares bonds, instead of a dot and cross diagram, i had mind blank and used small circles and crosses? Will it be fine to replace the dots with small circles?
Here's a list of All questions and the marks... 99.9% sure these are completely correct haha :smile:

You have one good memory:wink:
Original post by tomroberts12
For the dot and cross diagram for showing how oxygen shares bonds, instead of a dot and cross diagram, i had mind blank and used small circles and crosses? Will it be fine to replace the dots with small circles?

Yup, thats absolutely fine.
Original post by Badcookie
Wow you have one good memory:eek:

Yeh like I can picture all the questions like word for word and the pictures used lol
Original post by majmuh24
Impurities in the glass.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is an alloy the same thingy oh **** is glass an alloy or not... help
Yeh like I can picture all the questions like word for word and the pictures used lol

Could you possibly do one for B2? :redface:
Everyone questioning about the calculating mass one:
2Mg 2Mg0
48 80
48/48 = 1 80/48 = 1.6666....
1 1.66666..........
(x 1.2) (x1.2)
= 1.2 = 2

The answer was exactly 2.

Quick Reply