The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry - C2 and C3 15th May

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MATHSPOW!!
Is an alloy the same thingy oh **** is glass an alloy or not... help

Glass is not an alloy as its partially made up of Silicon Dioxide which is covalently bonded together (non-metal).
For the question in c3 about explaining the trends of reactivity in the alkali metals, what did you put for that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by violetvictorious
Could you possibly do one for B2? :redface:

Unfortunately not as I was one of those retards that missed out the last two pages thinking the exam had finished... Most traumatic experience probably this year that exam... Ooh bad memories indeed ! ;/
Original post by tomroberts12
For the question in c3 about explaining the trends of reactivity in the alkali metals, what did you put for that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The further down the group you go, the more reactive the metal as its easier to lose an electron due to the weak forces of attraction which is the result of shielding.
Original post by S.Ahmad
Glass is not an alloy as its partially made up of Silicon Dioxide which is covalently bonded together (non-metal).

Bye bye a mark... ****.
Unfortunately not as I was one of those retards that missed out the last two pages thinking the exam had finished... Most traumatic experience probably this year that exam... Ooh bad memories indeed ! ;/

Aw don't worry - judging from your ability to remember the whole of the C2 exam, it seems like your memory is quite good (and people with good memories are usually great in exams) :tongue:
Guys what was the answers on C2 for: the glass and lubricant question. Cheers
Original post by violetvictorious
Aw don't worry - judging from your ability to remember the whole of the C2 exam, it seems like your memory is quite good (and people with good memories are usually great in exams) :tongue:

It's annoying cause that mistake has meant it is impossible for me to obtain an a* overall but after today's exam I'm confident in getting an A.. Can't really complain I guess I made the mistake so yeh
Original post by unknown123456789
Guys what was the answers on C2 for: the glass and lubricant question. Cheers

The question stated it has similar properties to Graphite, so, made up of layers which are held together by weak intermolecular forces, allowing the layers to slide making it ideal to use as a lubricant.
Cheers man. Thats 2 markks down the drain. What about the silca question.
Original post by unknown123456789
Cheers man. Thats 2 markks down the drain. What about the silca question.

I have no idea, I'll do some research into it now, I was unsure of this as well. I put the following;
Has weak intermolecular forces, therefore they're easy to overcome, giving the substance a low melting and boiling point.
It's annoying cause that mistake has meant it is impossible for me to obtain an a* overall but after today's exam I'm confident in getting an A.. Can't really complain I guess I made the mistake so yeh

I made the same mistake as you and as long as you have a really good isa and get around 48+ in chem and physics, you can get A* despite missing those 11 marks, according to my teacher
[QUOTE="Kirankhalsa;47611273"]
Original post by Siddhart1998

Yeah and I got a positive number .. 400 and something? Because the reactants were larger than the products. So isn't it endothermic??

I got the products were larger than the reactants
Is an alloy the same thingy oh **** is glass an alloy or not... help
Alloy is for metals...
Reply 1054
Original post by Sophsha
Same but people said they asked for the ion ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty sure the ion was hydrogen, hydrogen is present in all acids.
Reply 1055
Original post by revisioner
Everyone questioning about the calculating mass one:
2Mg 2Mg0
48 80
48/48 = 1 80/48 = 1.6666....
1 1.66666..........
(x 1.2) (x1.2)
= 1.2 = 2

The answer was exactly 2.

I got up to the 1.66 bit, had a meltdown and didn't get it any further. Do you think I'll still get 2/3 marks for it?
Original post by S.Ahmad
I have no idea, I'll do some research into it now, I was unsure of this as well. I put the following;
Has weak intermolecular forces, therefore they're easy to overcome, giving the substance a low melting and boiling point.

What silicon question? Are you on about the glass and why glass has a lower melting point when silica has a high melting point? Wasn't it worth 1 mark?
(edited 9 years ago)
7611773]Here'sin a list of All questions and the marks... 99.9% sure these are completely correct haha :smile:
Wasnt bonding in metals the last question on the paper?
does anyone know how much you need to get a b in b2?
Thanks i guess you are right... I hope phsyics is better :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest