The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry C2/C3 May 15th 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IsaaMan
Zinc was formed because its Zn2+ so goes to neg gains to electrons (reduced) to Zn atoms (3)

i know, i know, pretty basic question right? like i said, i didnt read it correctly because i looked at so many examples of sodium chloride electrolysis, where it is dissolved, it just sort got written without really thinking
Original post by S.Ahmad
Oh okay, I said something like:
No, the current data shows a strong correlation/trend, therefore more particle sizes aren't necessary.

Yeah, I put this as well.

Remembering doing something similar in a past paper and there was a few yes answers as well though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 522
I'm fairly sure Hydrogen was produced at the negative electrode in the C2 electrolysis question, because in my guide it states that if the electrolyte contains a metal more reactive than Hydrogen, then Hydrogen is produced in preference?
Reply 523
Original post by FS97
I'm fairly sure Hydrogen was produced at the negative electrode in the C2 electrolysis question, because in my guide it states that if the electrolyte contains a metal more reactive than Hydrogen, then Hydrogen is produced in preference?

I wrote zinc and magnesium go to the negative and chloride goes to the positive.
Reply 524
Original post by AlphaNick
That is only the case if it is dissolved in water. The electrolyte in this case was molten zinc chloride.

Ah, thank you. I did put Zinc is reduced at the negative electrode initially but then went on to talk about Hydrogen. Hopefully the examiners don't read that far and I'll get the question right :wink:
[QUOTE="mesut69;47603083"]
Original post by noshahmad
That was an easy paper but I messed so much up cause I hardly revised for structures cause it's quite simple so I got most of it wrong,
The grade boundaries will be high and I done so ****,
There goes my A*

Posted from TSR Mobile[What you reckon the grade boundaries will be?]

49 for an A* on unit 2 and 46 for an A* on unit 3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FS97
Ah, thank you. I did put Zinc is reduced at the negative electrode initially but then went on to talk about Hydrogen. Hopefully the examiners don't read that far and I'll get the question right :wink:

That's what I did, I talked about hydrogen but did end up saying that zinc was the one reduced, hope I get 2 marks at least :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="noshahmad;47614701"]
Original post by mesut69
49 for an A* on unit 2 and 46 for an A* on unit 3Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 528
I said yes on the nano particle question on the graph, to increase sample size...?
Original post by Yousf
I said yes on the nano particle question on the graph, to increase sample size...?

Probably wouldn't get the mark for this, would need to explain the purpose of increasing sample size.
[QUOTE="noshahmad;47614701"]
Original post by mesut69

49 for an A* on unit 2 and 46 for an A* on unit 3
Posted from TSR Mobile

Regardless of how easy the test paper was, it appears quite a few people made silly mistakes, therefore it'll be about average, 47...
[QUOTE="S.Ahmad;47614987"]

Regardless of how easy the test paper was, it appears quite a few people made silly mistakes, therefore it'll be about average, 47...

Yeah I agree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
how much was the energy question, energy level diagram and concentration calculation worth? made stupid mistakes in all of these
Probably 4 marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Concentration q was 3 marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 535
That's what I did, I talked about hydrogen but did end up saying that zinc was the one reduced, hope I get 2 marks at least :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me as well i talked about them both hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ftorrres
Probably 4 marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

For which question? Do you think I would get marks for the energy level diagram if I drew what I got for the energy calculation in the previous question? They shouldn't penalise twice
Yes you should get ECF

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think you had to label the energy change -just the activation energy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also I think they said the reaction was exothermic in the questions -so u could draw the energy diagram without the calculation, but depends on the mark scheme

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest