The Student Room Group

CCEA English Literature A-Level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by orwell123
any predictions for chaucer tomorrow??? i'm thinking morality tale (which i have not learnt) and then either the corruption of church/pardoner or maybe preaching

for satire im thinking the nature and purpose of satire because modern readers come up 3 times in the last 2 years

also does anyone do childhood for A22 and have any predictions whatsoever - thinking it might be a literary themed question

chaucer is death. i'm dreading tomorrow :/ hopefully they're nice and give us something easy like lewd peple lol
Cramming.. so screwed :frown: good luck everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So... how'd everyone find it? And also I'm so not motivated to learn for the next exam (but I obviously have to :frown:)
I wasn't really sure what to make of it. We hadn't done anything on the morality of the two plays, but it seemed to be OK once I got over the initial kind of shock. Rape of the Lock was so much more specific, but it wasn't actually too bad. Absolutely dreading Friday now!
Done this repeat exam this morning... Not exactly sure how I feel! I answered the religious corruption extract began with Chaucer using his pardoner as a personification of church corruption which was influenced by William Longland's Piers Plowman and kind of went from there:/ did anyone do the drama of Social Realism? The wording of the question was really odd!
Reply 205
think today's exam went okay, it was my first time doing it so i'm not really sure.

absolutely dreading friday, especially section B! how the hell do you revise for it!
Original post by Gariemurphy
Done this repeat exam this morning... Not exactly sure how I feel! I answered the religious corruption extract began with Chaucer using his pardoner as a personification of church corruption which was influenced by William Longland's Piers Plowman and kind of went from there:/ did anyone do the drama of Social Realism? The wording of the question was really odd!

I did the religious corruption extract question too, I thought we were quite lucky with the Chaucer questions, they were pretty vague!

The Drama of Social Realism question . . the less said about that the better I think. The question was badly worded, I agree. I tried to do an argument/counter argument throughout the essay, but ultimately the lives of the individual characters are all a part of the social protest within the plays so it was difficult to split the essay in half because everything just sort of melded together?

Original post by orwell123
think today's exam went okay, it was my first time doing it so i'm not really sure.

absolutely dreading friday, especially section B! how the hell do you revise for it!

I don't think you can revise for it, really. Learn the structure of the essay and look over some of the points in the mark scheme to get a vague idea of what they're asking you to do, but besides that, just wing it! lol
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by CeeJay96
I did the religious corruption extract question too, I thought we were quite lucky with the Chaucer questions, they were pretty vague!

The Drama of Social Realism question . . the less said about that the better I think. The question was badly worded, I agree. I tried to do an argument/counter argument throughout the essay, but ultimately the lives of the individual characters are all a part of the social protest within the plays so it was difficult to split the essay in half because everything just sort of melded together?

I don't think you can revise for it, really. Learn the structure of the essay and look over some of the points in the mark scheme to get a vague idea of what they're asking you to do, but besides that, just wing it! lol

Yea I definitely felt he question was horrendously worded because it was basically multiple questions warped into one ! I kind of came to the conclusion that Ibsen more succesfully explores the lives than the individual characters while also constructing a sustained critique of society that is ultimately the basis of a 'good drama of social realism' whereas Osborne's detailed characterisation of Jimmy comes at the expense of his secondary characters becoming almost two dimensional. Having said that I did give credit for his emphasis on the social context of his play and how he gives precedence to social criticism over detailed characterisation... I think that basically sums up the basis of my AO3 comment?
I don't know how to revise for tomorrow :frown::frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 209
Original post by Procrastinator123
I don't know how to revise for tomorrow :frown::frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anyone got any Criticisms for The Outsider and The Catcher??
Original post by aweir96

I'm doing the outsider question- what exactly do you mean criticisms? Like personal or contextual information?
Original post by aweir96

That's ALL I've got actually lol

Holden criticising everything: his elitist society, sexual exploitation, education etc (context- post world war conformity, social class)
Meursaults criticisms may shown through his physical frustrations (he says his "physical needs" often get in the way of his "feelings".)

Holden obviously gives up on his criticism and protest, when he realised that he can't save childhood innocence (quotes: "hopeless" when referring to rubbing out the profanity on the school walls, symbolism of the carousel and how you have to let the kids go for the "gold ring" even if they may "fall")
Meursaults criticism increase as he has an outburst where he pours out everything that's in his "heart "and realises that he was "right" and eventually gets executed for not conforming.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck everyone for today's exam. I am predicting for The Outsider novel question will be either allegorical or social criticism/protest. I hope you all have a good morning with the exam and I hope you all enjoy your Friday night, however you choose to do so; mine will be raging at my PC whilst playing Dark Souls II.
Reply 213
Thanks everyone good luck :-)
Good luck guys!... Praying :/
So how did everyone find it?
Butcher boy extract was horrendous! The outsiders question was good I thought though I completely rejected the stimulus statement! How about everyone else?
I didn't particularly like the Butcher Boy extract either, but the Catcher/L'Etranger question was fine. Luckily I had done that essay before, so I pretty much just churned out what I'd already written in class haha. I wrote 4 pages for the BB question, and 5 for Holden and Meursault. I hope that's enough :frown:
Original post by CeeJay96
I didn't particularly like the Butcher Boy extract either, but the Catcher/L'Etranger question was fine. Luckily I had done that essay before, so I pretty much just churned out what I'd already written in class haha. I wrote 4 pages for the BB question, and 5 for Holden and Meursault. I hope that's enough :frown:

I hope grade boundaries aren't too high!:frown: and the amount sounds fine I wrote similar about 5 for the outsider and 4 and a half for TBB...
It could've gone a lot worse tbh!
Catcher/Outsider - I apparently had more to write about than I originally thought when I saw the question (I was like wtf lol), but I managed to use what I'd revised and tweak it for the question. I do wish it was more of a general question? oh well, it's over now!

The Butcher Boy - I don't even know, I spent too much time on Catcher/Outsider that I rushed through this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending