The Student Room Group

OCR History A: School's History Project (Medicine Through Time, American West)

How did everyone find this exam today?

Scroll to see replies

I found the sources horrible but I didn't mind the questions! What about you?
Except for question 1a, which wasn't ideal but wasn't too bad, I found the paper rather good! The Hippocrates vs. Galen question was basically a dream come true
Reply 3
Original post by hilarysusan
I found the sources horrible but I didn't mind the questions! What about you?

Exactly the same - I spent 5 minutes just looking at the sources like 'What...'

Original post by doctorwhofan98
Except for question 1a, which wasn't ideal but wasn't too bad, I found the paper rather good! The Hippocrates vs. Galen question was basically a dream come true

I'd not revised as much as I would've like to have, but I said that if the Egyptians came up, Greeks/Rome and a Hippocrates vs Galen question I'd be so happy - and it did! We did a Hippocrates vs Galen for our mock as well, so that was brilliant.
Reply 4
I'm having a hard time figuring out how well I did actually. I self-taught History so I am a bit worried about my success. I know it's a bit silly but how do you know how well you've done?
Reply 5
Original post by SinJerome
I'm having a hard time figuring out how well I did actually. I self-taught History so I am a bit worried about my success. I know it's a bit silly but how do you know how well you've done?

You don't, to be honest. It's mostly based off of what other people have got and if you liked the questions or not.
I didn't know what a vigilante was... lol so I said they stole horses and they believed in survival of the fittest and took the law into the own hands.
5 marks gone.

What are the grade boundaries usually?
Reply 7
Original post by Sulfur
You don't, to be honest. It's mostly based off of what other people have got and if you liked the questions or not.

I guess I'm just used to exams where there is a definitive right answer then. I don't know if I got an A or a C!
Reply 8
Original post by xoflower
I didn't know what a vigilante was... lol so I said they stole horses and they believed in survival of the fittest and took the law into the own hands.
5 marks gone.

What are the grade boundaries usually?

Out of 81:

A* 65-68
A 60-61
B 52-55
C 45-49
I did Crime and Punishment Through Time and The American West. The first source for section A was hard, and the two sources on the buffalo, in section B I found challenging. Anyone the same? x
Reply 10
Original post by JessieeMayy
I did Crime and Punishment Through Time and The American West. The first source for section A was hard, and the two sources on the buffalo, in section B I found challenging. Anyone the same? x

I couldn't find anything that was surprising. I said no because it's how they hunted the buffalo normally, they used the horses from the Spanish and the weapons they used were commonly used too - it was part of their way of life. The only 'yes surprising' thing that I said was that they also traded with mountain men and had guns, so they could've used them. I think that I said something about reservations too?

Section B was definitely challenging, but I did the Mormons and I knew the basics! :smile:
Completely agree with you- everyone I know found 1a a pain in the ass. Everything else went well- esp the American West sources- I just wish that the Indians were on one of the essays :/
Reply 12
i was sooo scared before the exam but i found it alright hooopeee we all get A*s inshallah
Reply 13
First source was ridiculous still cant figure out what it was a man in a reindeer or a reindeer or some ghostly spirit. And it was ok overall a bit tricky. WAY TOO MUCH TO write OMG.
Reply 14
I thought that the paper was pretty good. The 2nd question was amazing and so was the Mormons one. The sources weren't too bad either. The first AW one with the buffalos being chased by the Native Americans was a little bit dodgey though :tongue:
What did everyone put for 1a? About the two sources of public health in Roman times or 16th century?
Reply 16
Original post by CFC DE BRUYNE
What did everyone put for 1a? About the two sources of public health in Roman times or 16th century?

I just rambled about nothing to be honest...

I said that Source A showed people in their best clothes that actually wore them, that they appeared relaxed because they were chatting. It showed a public bath where people were cleaning themselves, but they were washing in each other's germs. I said that Source B showed that ill people were cleaning themselves which was good, but they were ill and that they were likely to spread their illness to other people, but they didn't know about this yet (germ theory of 1860). Also I said that it was good that the poor had cleaning facilities but that that it was located in the middle of towns where sewage was commonly thrown into the streets and that there were animals (horses) there carrying these germs.
I didn't think it went too badly but the source questions for the American West (the Buffalo ones) were quite difficult.
I know this is the other topics but I did History A today and did Crime and Punishment and Germany and the sources were the best, it was such a good paper I think I've done well!
Original post by JessieeMayy

I did Crime and Punishment but Germany, how did you find the C&P questions? And which answer set did you to for?

Quick Reply

Latest