The Student Room Group

So apparently we still centuries away from a meaningful rise in the sea level

So why is there an obsession with curbing climate change? That is AGES we can build cities out of the flood zones by then and our population will be lower by then, don't believe me? Just look at the birth rates.

Scroll to see replies

I think we need a source for all this.
Yeah source please.
Reply 3
I generally prefer right wing ideologies but one thing I absolutely hate about it is it's constant denial of climate change and pathetic excuses. Climate change exists 100% and will no doubt affect us in the coming decades.
Original post by MASTER265
I generally prefer right wing ideologies but one thing I absolutely hate about it is it's constant denial of climate change and pathetic excuses. Climate change exists 100% and will no doubt affect us in the coming decades.

I'm not a fan of saying climate change believer = left wing. Climate change doubter = right wing.

I do however respect the way that renewable energy companies have mobilised the shouty elements of the extreme left to improve their profit margins. A great example of the 'useful idiot.'
Reply 5
Bangladesh, Louisiana, Florida, and a number of atolls are more or less the only places that will be affected by a small rise in sea level (the Netherlands won't because it has dykes).

Anyway, even though climate change does exist, it will be African and South/South East Asian countries that will be most affected (due to longer dry seasons, flooding, etc), and there's nothing we can do to stop it now anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Climate change has been added to the list of things that make people (on all sides of the debate) go from 0-crazy in 2 seconds, alongside religion and politics.
Reply 7
Original post by Huskaris
Climate change has been added to the list of things that make people (on all sides of the debate) go from 0-crazy in 2 seconds, alongside religion and politics.

It is ridiculous how extreme people are on the subject really. On one side we have the deniers denying science which is just stupid. Then on the other we have the doom sayers who think it will end the world also being completely ignorant of science.
Weather-related disasters have been on the rise since the 1980s and that trend is set to continue. Even if sea levels rises were insignificant (which they're not), climate change affects us in a whole host of other ways.

Source: http://tamino.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/graph1.jpg
Reply 9
Original post by Huskaris

It probably seems that way because one side of the debate are ignorant, simple minded people who can't be reasoned with (climate change deniers), and the other side simply can't reason with such people.

This sums up the debate pretty will IMO

Original post by FDR
It probably seems that way because one side of the debate are ignorant, simple minded people who can't be reasoned with (climate change deniers), and the other side simply can't reason with such people.

This sums up the debate pretty will IMO

That kind of attitude is exactly how you get people on your side. The arrogance of climate change advocates, and the ignorance of climate change deniers when at extremes is equally as annoying. Same as religious v atheists, the whole "I know I am right" mentality is an easy way to spot an ******** a mile off.
Tell your children "it was good for the economy" when they cannot farm the land, breathe the air or drink the water

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MatureStudent36
I'm not a fan of saying climate change believer = left wing. Climate change doubter = right wing.

I don't like it either, as it is a bit of a generalisation. There are some left wing deniers and plenty of right wing people see climate change as a serious issue.

But most climate change deniers are right wing (but not all right wing people are climate change deniers).

It stems down to ideology, not science. Climate change is a bit inconvenient for the more extreme right who think that nothing can't be solved by leaving it to the market, and oppose virtually all government intervention in the economy.
Climate change requires the government to intervene in the economy to sort the problem out, and that is why a lot of deniers are very right wing.
Original post by yourFuture
So why is there an obsession with curbing climate change? That is AGES we can build cities out of the flood zones by then and our population will be lower by then, don't believe me? Just look at the birth rates.

Climate change causes more issues than just rising sea levels. Also, surely it's better to act now, rather than continue with the "Meh, it can wait" attitude?
Reply 14
Climate science is a religion. It bears all the hallmarks of where Christianity was 500 years ago, and where Islam is now.
Original post by RFowler
I don't like it either, as it is a bit of a generalisation. There are some left wing deniers and plenty of right wing people see climate change as a serious issue.

But most climate change deniers are right wing (but not all right wing people are climate change deniers).

It stems down to ideology, not science. Climate change is a bit inconvenient for the more extreme right who think that nothing can't be solved by leaving it to the market, and oppose virtually all government intervention in the economy.
Climate change requires the government to intervene in the economy to sort the problem out, and that is why a lot of deniers are very right wing.

Some also argue that with the collapse of communism, the extreme left have found a new cause to latch onto to fight their fight against capitalism.......whilst making people like Al Gore extremely rich in the process.
Reply 16
Original post by Handles
Climate change causes more issues than just rising sea levels. Also, surely it's better to act now, rather than continue with the "Meh, it can wait" attitude?

But the world changes so much so rapidly for all we know our country won't even exist, we could be a vassal state of the Mexican Empire, why would we want to help the Mexican Empire?
Original post by MatureStudent36
Some also argue that with the collapse of communism, the extreme left have found a new cause to latch onto to fight their fight against capitalism.......whilst making people like Al Gore extremely rich in the process.

Some also argue that Obama is the antichrist and evolution is a lie. It doesn't make it true.

Al Gore donates the money he makes into a non profit organisation that focuses on climate change. The argument that he has focused on climate change out of financial interests is nonsense.
Original post by RFowler
Some also argue that Obama is the antichrist and evolution is a lie. It doesn't make it true.

Al Gore donates the money he makes into a non profit organisation that focuses on climate change. The argument that he has focused on climate change out of financial interests is nonsense.

Did he tell you that personally? (After you had to pay a small fortune to speak to him)
Original post by yourFuture
But the world changes so much so rapidly for all we know our country won't even exist, we could be a vassal state of the Mexican Empire, why would we want to help the Mexican Empire?

Well that's a ridiculous hypothetical situation, but even so, we're all the same species. Think about in terms of helping the species, not in terms of helping your country. You'd have to be fairly selfish to not want to improve the lives of people who come after you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending