The Student Room Group

Sociology Unit 2 - 21ST MAY 2014

Now that unit one is over. Just thought if we could focus on this unit now and start a trend.
Any tips and tricks to tackle this unit bearing in mind i need to so amazing well in this now :frown:

In particularly with the structure of method in context questions and how you'd apply it to secondary data such as official statistics, historical docs etc.

Any predictions? that some of your teachers may had said (theyre usually right)

Structure of 12 markers, 20 markers too!!!!!!!!!
Me too, really need help with research methods. Feel like I know education really well but I really want to get my predicted A. How did you find the families paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by sophiedurrant
Me too, really need help with research methods. Feel like I know education really well but I really want to get my predicted A. How did you find the families paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Feeling the exact same! And I did culture and identity instead I heard the family paper was quite hard. Hope you've done well, I'm unsure on how it went for me my weakness was time management :-( therefore I need to do extra well on this so the pressures on!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dreading this exam! The family one was awful!! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
feeling relatively comfortable for the 2nd paper. in my opinion the first paper was relatively good despite bringing up a question on a neglected topic like ageing population. Luckily I went over it. I treat the 12 marker as a concise short essay highlighting main points. the methods In context is my weakness but believe I can score 12-14 marks on it, in which my other essays ill try to get 17-18. For methods in context my teacher says always mention triangulation in the conclusion to make method stronger! good luck guys
Reply 5
Okay guys so basically i've had an exam every day in this week and now im starting to revise for this.. any tips and help?
Im putting all the unit on revision cards because the only way for me to remember stuff is to put em on this otherwise I'd forget!

:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by AyeshaAK
Okay guys so basically i've had an exam every day in this week and now im starting to revise for this.. any tips and help?
Im putting all the unit on revision cards because the only way for me to remember stuff is to put em on this otherwise I'd forget!

:smile:

Good idea. I have one everyday next week unfortunately given up with education now. Methods is definitely going to terrible.

Any help for 20 marks especially in methods anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by H-SEA
Good idea. I have one everyday next week unfortunately given up with education now. Methods is definitely going to terrible.

Any help for 20 marks especially in methods anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In methods in context:
Talk about strengths and limitations of the research method but relate it to educations and in particular the subject in the item to get the good marks. You also need to discuss methodological perspectives so positivist and interpretivist perspectives. You need to make about 2-3 strengths and limitations (so 2-3 each) and make sure you link back to context.
You don't need to have studies to support your answer for the MIC questions but it may help depending on the question.

In the last 20 marker on RM:
If the question asks 'assess the problems sociologists may face using laboratory experiments'
For this question, do not just discuss the problems. By assess you need to give counter arguments backed up with studies and/or examples. Make sure you know at least 3 strengths and 3 limitations for each research method. Don't forget a brief intro and conclusion. Intro should include what the research method is, how it is carried out. Conclusion should briefly sum up points and consider effectiveness.
Throughout your essay make sure to mention the fact that there practical, ethical and theoretical constraints.

My teacher taught us a really good wha to remember the different constraints

PET - practical, ethical and theoretical.

PRACTICAL - 'RAFT'
R - Recording
A - Access
F - Funding
T - Time

ETHICAL - 'MAID'
M - Moral
A - After effects
I - Illegal
D - Dangerous

THEORETICAL - 'RIPOVR' (RIP Our Vomiting Rat)
R - Reliable
I - Interpretivist
P - Positivist
O - Objective
V - Valid
R - Representativeness

Try and structure your essay in order of these constraints. For example "a practical consideration of overt participant is the fact that it may be difficult to record data".

Relax guys, the examiners take into consideration the fact that we are 17 year olds in exam conditions. (Apparently) Hope you all get on okay and this helps.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
really useful
Reply 9
Original post by sophiedurrant
In methods in context:
Talk about strengths and limitations of the research method but relate it to educations and in particular the subject in the item to get the good marks. You also need to discuss methodological perspectives so positivist and interpretivist perspectives. You need to make about 2-3 strengths and limitations (so 2-3 each) and make sure you link back to context.
You don't need to have studies to support your answer for the MIC questions but it may help depending on the question.

In the last 20 marker on RM:
If the question asks 'assess the problems sociologists may face using laboratory experiments'
For this question, do not just discuss the problems. By assess you need to give counter arguments backed up with studies and/or examples. Make sure you know at least 3 strengths and 3 limitations for each research method. Don't forget a brief intro and conclusion. Intro should include what the research method is, how it is carried out. Conclusion should briefly sum up points and consider effectiveness.
Throughout your essay make sure to mention the fact that there practical, ethical and theoretical constraints.

My teacher taught us a really good wha to remember the different constraints

PET - practical, ethical and theoretical.

PRACTICAL - 'RAFT'
R - Recording
A - Access
F - Funding
T - Time

ETHICAL - 'MAID'
M - Moral
A - After effects
I - Illegal
D - Dangerous

THEORETICAL - 'RIPOVR' (RIP Our Vomiting Rat)
R - Reliable
I - Interpretivist
P - Positivist
O - Objective
V - Valid
R - Representativeness

Try and structure your essay in order of these constraints. For example "a practical consideration of overt participant is the fact that it may be difficult to record data".

Relax guys, the examiners take into consideration the fact that we are 17 year olds in exam conditions. (Apparently) Hope you all get on okay and this helps.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about if it's an examine question how do you tackle it ?? Is it the same way as an Asess question ??
Original post by Pilate
What about if it's an examine question how do you tackle it ?? Is it the same way as an Asess question ??

Yes it's exactly the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Reply 12
Heyy guys,
How did everyone find today's unit 2 exams? I hated the last question...I honestly have no idea as to what I was required to do?
Love it! The education part was sent from heaven omg! Wasn't so keen on research methods :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Bee3
Heyy guys,
How did everyone find today's unit 2 exams? I hated the last question...I honestly have no idea as to what I was required to do?

Introduction:

Definition of Positivism
Definition of Interpretivism

Application:

Both Positivists and Interpetivists approach ethical problems which limit their choice of research method

1. Informed Consent (explain)
2.Confidentiality (explain)
3.Deception (explain)
4. Interviewer's effects (for example psychological and physical harm)

You can refer these ethical issues to different research methods, for example postal questionnaires - low response rate, therefore highly unrepresentative, and therefore it is easy to maintain confidentiality.

I don't know if it's correct though.

Hope it helps x
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest