The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Geography Unit 2 May 16th

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
I messed up on the 15 marker. I forgot to relate and use statistics... and RELATE back to my Urban area which was Lea Valley Stratford. I hardly talked about it and talked about the analysis that I did mostly :frown: Do you think Ill lose a lot of marks? I hope I don't. A bit worried about that.

I reckon I'll get a C, maybe a B at best.
Remember that you can gain 10 marks for only talking about research or fieldwork, and that's without not properly answering the question! You focused on the analysis which is good, but if you mentioned one data presentation technique you should be fine!

Think of all the positives, rather than the negatives! I personally found this exam atrocious, but by talking to everyone else it seems like I'm not the only one :smile: x
My current predictions for Unit 1 2014 paper

(a total of 90 marks)

50=A

41=B

33=C

27=D

23=E
For the question about sustainable rebranding I wrote:

97% of the debris from the 450 demolished homes (Olympics 2012 ) were re-used which makes it economically and environmentally sustainable - explained this point further

That the Olympic park was socially sustainable as originally only 17.2% of the people in east London were British so this meant more people visited the park and different groups got together - so socially sustainable. And of course environmentally sustainable because it's a green area

Lastly I wrote that in Devon, at a rural rebranding scheme the food miles were kept local within a 100 mile radius so therefore economically sustainable as the money generated was kept within a localised region and that this meant less transport ,

HOWEVER, someone mentioned a question similar to this came up in January 2012 so I checked the mark scheme but a lot of my points weren't even on the mark scheme! They were so different so now I'm sort of panicking .. Does anyone think I will get credit for my points because i thought they were actually valid.. I didn't mention bottom up schemes or anything which was mentioned on the January 2012 mark scheme for the sustainable question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A-LevelEconomist

(a total of 90 marks)

50=A

41=B

33=C

27=D

23=E

Isn't the paper out of 70?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 364

(a total of 90 marks)

50=A

41=B

33=C

27=D

23=E

i think its gona be 49 for an A.The test was harder than last year and more tricky.And even though people found it better i think people lost more marks this year than last(especially on the rebranding 15 marker).But for sure the grade boundaries are gona be marginally higher than last years cause of stupid GOVE messing with the system!
Original post by BenjKl
In my honest opinion, I recon this exam paper was much easier compared to the riddles in Unit 1. I managed to get time spare and finish off some answers. The only question i found interesting was coasts, 2. a) . It was about managed natural retreat which I have not done much and not really had any "examples" to answer the question with so I guess that will take off the most marks.
Either way, I'm not gonna bother with geog no moaaaaare.

Anyone knowz 2.a)?

Yes, I found that one really good :smile: you could have spoken about Abbots Hall Farm, Blackwater Estuary in Essex
Original post by ThatGirlx
For the question about sustainable rebranding I wrote:

97% of the debris from the 450 demolished homes (Olympics 2012 ) were re-used which makes it economically and environmentally sustainable - explained this point further

That the Olympic park was socially sustainable as originally only 17.2% of the people in east London were British so this meant more people visited the park and different groups got together - so socially sustainable. And of course environmentally sustainable because it's a green area

Lastly I wrote that in Devon, at a rural rebranding scheme the food miles were kept local within a 100 mile radius so therefore economically sustainable as the money generated was kept within a localised region and that this meant less transport ,

HOWEVER, someone mentioned a question similar to this came up in January 2012 so I checked the mark scheme but a lot of my points weren't even on the mark scheme! They were so different so now I'm sort of panicking .. Does anyone think I will get credit for my points because i thought they were actually valid.. I didn't mention bottom up schemes or anything which was mentioned on the January 2012 mark scheme for the sustainable question

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd give that full marks to be honest because you've provided a range of case studies with precise detail

In Geography they're allowed to credit anything which is of relevance and is a valid point, so dont worry about not being on the mark scheme

Gosh, I think my answer was worth about 5 marks after reading yours 😥😵😱
Haven't seen many extreme weathers on here so far...

What did people make of the weather diary? I predicted it would come up but I feel my answer was lacking, even though I said everything I could have?
Also the question about extreme weather management was great.
Original post by DaveUncle
Haven't seen many extreme weathers on here so far...

What did people make of the weather diary? I predicted it would come up but I feel my answer was lacking, even though I said everything I could have?
Also the question about extreme weather management was great.

Those 2 questions were brilliant.
I talked about the stuff I used: Anometer, thermometer, barometers etc. (Not really. A load of bull****) Local weather station in my college. Did it over a period of days 4-6 weeks. Did it away from surfaces that could affect temperature. Compared it with classmates. And stuff like that. Then for research: Synoptic maps... Met office... Bbc.co.uk.. newspaper articles and all that crap to get local weather news lol

I'm sure you did fine. There wasn't much to talk about.

(a total of 90 marks)

50=A

41=B

33=C

27=D

23=E

Lol if this is the grade boundary, I would still get a low B. Very unlikely to be the case.
Those 2 questions were brilliant.
I talked about the stuff I used: Anometer, thermometer, barometers etc. (Not really. A load of bull****) Local weather station in my college. Did it over a period of days 4-6 weeks. Did it away from surfaces that could affect temperature. Compared it with classmates. And stuff like that. Then for research: Synoptic maps... Met office... Bbc.co.uk.. newspaper articles and all that crap to get local weather news lol

I'm sure you did fine. There wasn't much to talk about.

Oh wow my answer was literally identical haha! Met office and bbc.co.uk yep, I did say I'd keep some of my instruments (thermometer and barometer) in a stevenson screen to prevent external factors influencing my results... I've never seen that on a mark scheme but it is right so I'll just hope my examiner credits me
Oh wow my answer was literally identical haha! Met office and bbc.co.uk yep, I did say I'd keep some of my instruments (thermometer and barometer) in a stevenson screen to prevent external factors influencing my results... I've never seen that on a mark scheme but it is right so I'll just hope my examiner credits me

Great minds think alike hahaha. See I'm sure you did well. And yeh don't worry if its relevant it gets marked. Hope we get above 10/13 :biggrin: seems like you did fine with the question aswell. I smiled when I saw it xD haha.
Great minds think alike hahaha. See I'm sure you did well. And yeh don't worry if its relevant it gets marked. Hope we get above 10/13 :biggrin: seems like you did fine with the question aswell. I smiled when I saw it xD haha.

I was just praying it wouldn't be describing the results of the fieldwork/research, describing the method is just picking up marks for nothing really!

I really liked the management of impacts with technology one... I talked about communications in warnings of hurricanes, GIS in predicting hurricane paths and how severe the impacts would be, then I spoke about drought with stuff like scientific technology like cloud seeding and desalinisation? Then finally I spoke about how GM crops and use of GPS, feel pretty confident about that one :smile:
I was just praying it wouldn't be describing the results of the fieldwork/research, describing the method is just picking up marks for nothing really!

I really liked the management of impacts with technology one... I talked about communications in warnings of hurricanes, GIS in predicting hurricane paths and how severe the impacts would be, then I spoke about drought with stuff like scientific technology like cloud seeding and desalinisation? Then finally I spoke about how GM crops and use of GPS, feel pretty confident about that one :smile:

Once again identical hahaha. And that's a lot of good points. I talked about GIS aswell. Also talked about weather forecast to track predict more extreme weather events. Also gave some statistics. Err.. Talked about GM crops how it can help starvation in times of droughts etc. Flood-proof and hurricane-proof buildings for less structural damage. haha pretty much similar points tbh :biggrin:. I should've wrote about the cloud seeding thing. That's acc a pretty good point along with the deslination plant. Well done :smile:

(a total of 90 marks)

50=A

41=B

33=C

27=D

23=E

If its unit 1, aren't they only able to go up to 10 marks below or above maximum? So for an A, with your predictions, would be at the very least 54. Could just be a rumour I've heard though. :smile:
Once again identical hahaha. And that's a lot of good points. I talked about GIS aswell. Also talked about weather forecast to track predict more extreme weather events. Also gave some statistics. Err.. Talked about GM crops how it can help starvation in times of droughts etc. Flood-proof and hurricane-proof buildings for less structural damage. haha pretty much similar points tbh :biggrin:. I should've wrote about the cloud seeding thing. That's acc a pretty good point along with the deslination plant. Well done :smile:

Sounds like we're (hopefully) sorted for extreme weather then! :smile:
Original post by HannahRudd-19
I'd give that full marks to be honest because you've provided a range of case studies with precise detail

In Geography they're allowed to credit anything which is of relevance and is a valid point, so dont worry about not being on the mark scheme

Gosh, I think my answer was worth about 5 marks after reading yours 😥😵😱

Oh, I hope they do give me credit for it even if isn't specifically on the mark scheme!
And oh my gosh, your answers worth 5 marks?! I highly doubt it 😁 I've seen some of your answers on this forum and WOWWWW , I think you'll be getting an A hopefully! - best of luck ❤️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unit 1 was hard but I found Unit 2 to be worse and absolutely appalling (I'm did coasts and rebranding). Some questions were okay but the question on 'analysis' was like whaaattttt. It was also pretty vague I mean 'your research on rebranding schemes' could really be anything - I just focused on whether they were successful. Also, that first question on managed retreat, how did you guys approach the 'controversial' part of it? I wasn't too sure how I would address that so I blabbered on about the different views on managed retreat.

So happy Geog is over - would be happier if I never had to find out how badly I did :bricks:
Reply 378
Does anyone remember how they phrased the rebranding 15 marker?
Original post by bnmvcx
Does anyone remember how they phrased the rebranding 15 marker?

I posted my answer on a previous page :smile:

I believe the question was - Explain how you analysed and presented your results of your fieldwork and research into the success of rebranding schemes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending