The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i'm not sure how i feel about tomorrow.

in a way, i really want you guys to win because it's just getting old and stale when people talk about your trophy drought.
if you ignore the actual glory of winning the fa/league cup, a consistent top 4 finish (which you have achieved consistently) yields bigger rewards, since you get champions league football rather than europa league.

on the other hand, i am from yorkshire, and i have massive respect for how well bruce has done this season for hull, so i'll be supporting them
not to mention how depressingly hilarious it would be if you mess up.
Original post by AR_95
So what type of football is for Chelsea fans? :smile:

team wise obviously yes ours is the smallest game but that's taking everything else out of context

FA cup > German Fa cup
Arsenal first trophy in 9 years OR potential sacking of Wenger much bigger than the other two (although Atletico winning the league, which is a bigger deal for them but none of us are spanish and should be pretending to give a ****)

I like high pressure counter attacking football. Like Dortmund under klopp and Bayern before they were ruined by Pepball, we're boring though I accept that.

Meh, German FA cup means more since Bayern and Dortmund are rivals and Bayern take their best players.

Atlético winning the league is a bigger deal than the FA cup. Although saying that Wenger's potentially leaving could affect it.
An Arsenal without Mertesacker and Ramsey could easily lose to anyone
Reply 3603
Original post by jam278
I like high pressure counter attacking football. Like Dortmund under klopp and Bayern before they were ruined by Pepball, we're boring though I accept that.

Meh, German FA cup means more since Bayern and Dortmund are rivals and Bayern take their best players.

Atlético winning the league is a bigger deal than the FA cup. Although saying that Wenger's potentially leaving could affect it.

So basically United 2007-2008?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FKLW
So basically United 2007-2008?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought you contained and hit on the counter? I remember you doing that against Barca.

I didn't watch football much that time btw so dunno.
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
i'm not sure how i feel about tomorrow.

in a way, i really want you guys to win because it's just getting old and stale when people talk about your trophy drought.
if you ignore the actual glory of winning the fa/league cup, a consistent top 4 finish (which you have achieved consistently) yields bigger rewards, since you get champions league football rather than europa league.

on the other hand, i am from yorkshire, and i have massive respect for how well bruce has done this season for hull, so i'll be supporting them
not to mention how depressingly hilarious it would be if you mess up.

If we win it will just go from "no trophy in x years" to "only one trophy in 9 years". Then if we win the community shield people will say it doesn't count because it is a glorified friendly(I think it is tbh). But if we were lose the community shield it will go back to "hahaha only one trophy in nine years"
Reply 3606
Original post by jam278
I thought you contained and hit on the counter? I remember you doing that against Barca.

I didn't watch football much that time btw so dunno.

Nah your right actually that's what we did. Didn't read your post properly thought you said high speed counter attacking football, my bad.

It was effectively what Madrid did against Bayern, soak up pressure and broke with Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez and Nani. It depresses me how **** our team is now compared to then.

Side note- do you think Jose will change tactics next year with Costa in the team? You can play a bit more direct, will we see less of the '3 amigos' and a few more crosses into the box? And could you envisage a 4-4-2 with Lukaku-Costa up top?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Smurf
If we win it will just go from "no trophy in x years" to "only one trophy in 9 years". Then if we win the community shield people will say it doesn't count because it is a glorified friendly(I think it is tbh). But if we were lose the community shield it will go back to "hahaha only one trophy in nine years"

that is true - people will always try to ridicule you.
but it has much less value once you win a trophy imo; it's almost a desperate attempt really.

in any case, who cares?
you'll have won more trophies than liverpool or chelsea this season.

please beat city in the community shield though.

and yes, it is a legitimate trophy - if the cup winners cup is recognised, the community shield should be since it is more or less the same concept.
Original post by FKLW
Nah your right actually that's what we did. Didn't read your post properly thought you said high speed counter attacking football, my bad.

It was effectively what Madrid did against Bayern, soak up pressure and broke with Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez and Nani. It depresses me how **** our team is now compared to then.

Side note- do you think Jose will change tactics next year with Costa in the team? You can play a bit more direct, will we see less of the '3 amigos' and a few more crosses into the box? And could you envisage a 4-4-2 with Lukaku-Costa up top?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah your team was so good back then. Atm the english sides are improving though. We'll be around the level of Madrid soon.

I'm hoping to see a 4-4-2 tbf since we'll have 2 top quality strikers.

But Jose hasn't used 4-4-2 properly since his porto days. He did it a little at inter though.

We'll be a bit more direct but not route one. Think we'll get a fullback and a central midfielder too.
Reply 3609
Original post by jam278
I'm hoping to see a 4-4-2 tbf since we'll have 2 top quality strikers.

But Jose hasn't used 4-4-2 properly since his porto days. He did it a little at inter though.

We'll be a bit more direct but not route one. Think we'll get a fullback and a central midfielder too.

RB or LB? Still think you guys can get Shaw, doesn't seen to be much going in wrt to our bid for him. CM as in alongside Matic? Agree you lack a bit of that, he's great at breaking up playing and his passing game is on point could do with a BBM as well, anyone out there atm? Can't really think of one. Imagine if you guys bid for Ramsey... :lol:

Just seen your top paragraph. Agree tbh, you did amazing considering you don't have a striker and Matic was cup tied to get to CL semi-final. With Costa next year you'll beast it and think you'll make final at least.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
The FA Cup final and the La Liga decider both start at 6 pm.

FFS.
Original post by jam278

Without bias then yes a Bayern vs Dortmund final and the Atletico vs Barca final is a bigger game than ours but really no one actually gives a **** about the La liga as much as they show to and hardly anyone ever mentions the German FA cup anyway.

It's our Domestic cup so it's only natural to treat more seriously
I really think wenger should go for pedro as I reckon he's severely underrated by the fandom. He wouldn't cost too much as well and would be a good fit at lw offering pace and directness as well as goals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think if Arsenal sign 2 full backs, 1 holding midfielder and a sub striker then they will really compete next year for the title as Walcott is (in my opinion) one of the best players in the league.
I don't get why Sagna is leaving. He isn't good enough to start anywhere else so it can only be about the money (which is fair enough.)
Reply 3614
Original post by Stalin

FFS.

Guess you're in a CET zone.

Don't do that to me again.
Original post by Luke_Mckeown

and yes, it is a legitimate trophy - if the cup winners cup is recognised, the community shield should be since it is more or less the same concept.

err its not "more or less" the same concept, do you even know what the cup winners cup is?
Not really bothered about Sagna leaving, just want him to give his all tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol at the cup winners cup being mentioned in the same breath as the community shield.

Cup winners cup was bigger than the UEFA cup and you actually got a place in the super cup by winning the competition. If you want to make the cups more valued you should bring back the cup winners cup and make it impossible to get into the europa league via league position then allow the winners of that competition a place in the CL group stages.

Teams will be trying harder to win the cup I guarantee it.
Original post by Stalin

FFS.

It's quite clear that I'm watching la liga then.
Original post by little_tom
err its not "more or less" the same concept, do you even know what the cup winners cup is?
Original post by jam278
x

Original post by hello101010
x

apologies, i meant super cup, not cup winners cup

the reason i say more or less is because the winners of the europa league and champions league tournaments face off

whereas the community shield pits together the winners of the fa cup tournament and the winners of a league styled competition
therefore they are slightly different in that way, hence "more or less the same concept".

quite annoyed i mixed that up tbh
but yes, i meant super cup - does it make more sense now?:laugh:
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest