The Student Room Group

Unsure on what i want to study and my career choices in life

First off id like to point out im not a straight A* student so far ive got 3 gcses all B's ive got 8 mire gcses to get and ik for a fact i wont get 8 A*.

From a young age my dad tried to reason that i should be a doctor-which i feel is partly his dream that he wants to see through me.Talking to him about alevel choices was not easy at all.Due to my mums advice on doing what i want to do in life i left that dream and decided i want ro be a Psychologist but recently i realise they get paud peanuts and im not sure about their employability.So therefore im at a miss for career choices.Ive already picked the following for A-Level in September:
Biology
Psychology
English Literature
Business Studies

i want a good paid job which i will enjoy.i like helping people,giving advice and seeing people happy.i l sometimes butt into conversation at times and im loud due to my deep voice.I like seeing those who are talented+hardworking succed.Im very serious and try to be strong willed and wise.I love reading.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone??
A teacher maybe? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Never
Reply 4
working in the government? Or journalism?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You may not get the grades for medicine but if you want to see people happy there are many other NHS jobs you could do. Nursing, midwifery, physiotherapy, radiography and dietetics are just a few. These seem to not require very high grades at A level, but are solid jobs - good pay, career progression, excellent NHS benefits etc.
Anthropologist?
Reply 7
In terms if business studies and economics which is better for me.I dont mind addition subtractucion duvision times andd graphs but i hate algebra and shapes.
What do you enjoy studying?
What subjects are you good at?
Do you want to work with people? if yes, children or adults? In a teaching setting or as patients?
Would you rather be in an office?

Answering those questions will mean people are more accurately able to advise/recommend options.
A level
Drop psychology for chemistry
Drop business studies for economics
Drop English literature for maths

Psychology and business studies (commonly referred to as BS) are weak subject options. A levels should open your career options. BS is basically a s*** version of economics.

Weak subject options restrict your career options and ultimately, you will not have much choice of a career - you could be a teacher at the end of it (if you're lucky)...

Judging by your description, your dad sounds like he knows what's best for you. You like conversations - doctors should be patient and easy to approach. You'll also be making people feel better which may make you happy.

Although you can't get the best grades, medicine isn't that difficult to get into. Try get 6+ A*, but if you can't, AS level is where you should work hard in. Also ukcat and interview technique is important.
Im not good at maths or chemistry
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
What do you enjoy studying?
What subjects are you good at?
Do you want to work with people? if yes, children or adults? In a teaching setting or as patients?
Would you rather be in an office?

Answering those questions will mean people are more accurately able to advise/recommend options.

business studies,biology,english
business studies english religous studies

i want to work with people(idm adults or kids)

I would love my own office

i do small maths calculations(addtion and sub traction)
Anyone?
bump
Original post by scrawlx101
business studies,biology,english
business studies english religous studies

i want to work with people(idm adults or kids)

I would love my own office

i do small maths calculations(addtion and sub traction)

Okay. What I recommend you do is get a bunch of work experience in teaching/nursing/other healthcare areas, since you like working with people. You'd need to make sure your subjects work though, so I would perhaps pick up another science if at all possible. Biology is fine, but I'd be tempted to recommend dropping Business Studies for maths or chemistry if at ALL possible. You'd be limiting yourself in healthcare areas otherwise.

All I can really say is 'get some experience' and go from there.
I hate maths and chem...ul look for work experince too after exams r dne
I hate maths and chem...ul look for work experince too after exams r dne

I only recommended it because a lot of healthcare courses require two sciences - and I assumed from the fact you said you want to work with people that healthcare might be an area you're interested in. If you really don't want to take those subjects then you might be able to apply to some with just Biology, but you could be limiting yourself.
I only recommended it because a lot of healthcare courses require two sciences - and I assumed from the fact you said you want to work with people that healthcare might be an area you're interested in. If you really don't want to take those subjects then you might be able to apply to some with just Biology, but you could be limiting yourself.

Any careers you reccomend?
Any careers you reccomend?

It could very well come down to the subjects you're taking. You wouldn't qualify for my course, Optometry, for instance. You'd be able to apply for Oprthoptics at Liverpool, though. They only require Biology. You could try for Physiotherapy at the same place. You might be able to get into Nursing or that sort of thing as well. Have a look at some university websites and see what they want.

Some unis accept Psychology as a science

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending