The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry - C2 and C3 15th May

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone have any idea if you can write your answers in standard form on the physics exam?
For example if I worked out an equation like 1/2x1200x5000^2 and the answer was 1.5x10^10J could I leave it at that, or is converting the answer to an ordinary number required?
Original post by CurleysWife
Does anyone have any idea if you can write your answers in standard form on the physics exam?
For example if I worked out an equation like 1/2x1200x5000^2 and the answer was 1.5x10^10J could I leave it at that, or is converting the answer to an ordinary number required?

If it says kJ then you have to use kJ.

If not, then it should be allowed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What did people put for the six marker on the unit 3????!! it wasnt what i was expecting
Original post by elizabethn
What did people put for the six marker on the unit 3????!! it wasnt what i was expecting

just how you carry out calorimetry basically: weighing the fuel and water and temperature before the experiment, heating the water and then weighing them again. i also added a couple of lines on repeating the experiment and taking average readings in the hope that it would get me a mark or two~

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1124
Original post by MATHSPOW!!
Dying for A* overall but ****ed up so bad.. Like I need the boundaries to be like 39 for A*... Please !

I have the same problem, but I messed up chemistry instead. :/ Like, I overcomplicated the questions so much...it annoyed me because I know for a fact I can get A*s, I just messed up on the day.

Maybe you'll get enough method marks for an A*. Even if you don't get it "right" but still put relevant info (like on the higher) markers, they'll probably award marks. We'll just have to see on the day. Also, we have core to go yet! (well, I do.) you could well average an A*, especially if you have a good ISA grade.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tanyapotter
oh, sorry!! really? because hopefully they'll apply it to that damned question on magnesium ions in the B2 paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if you talk about the wrong structure in a substance (like diamond) then they usually allow 1 mark for it, so I'm praying they allow me one for saying hydrogen haha. Oh god yes I know how awful was the biology paper, I felt so screwed over by aqa, it hardly involved any actual 'science'
For the dot and cross diagram, I did all crosses.... But I don't think it specified what to use, will I still get full marks ?
Reply 1127
The B2 paper was unimaginably not what anyone expected! Hopefully the grade boundaries will be lower and therefore, we can hopefully get A* overall!
What did you put for why silver was used in the filter, i said to kill bacteria in it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tomroberts12
What did you put for why silver was used in the filter, i said to kill bacteria in it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup, prevents the growth of bacteria and also kills them.
Original post by majmuh24
Yep same, takes a lot of energy to evaporate the water which costs money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How many marks was this question?
Original post by S.Ahmad
Yup, prevents the growth of bacteria and also kills them.

In the filter or water?

Posted from TSR Mobile
In the filter or water?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both
Original post by majmuh24
Yep same, takes a lot of energy to evaporate the water which costs money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So wait, what was the question and what was the answer?

...? I said that it costs a lot of money as it needs lots of energy
Guys please what was the question about distillation - advantage or disadvantage?
Original post by zali249
Guys please what was the question about distillation - advantage or disadvantage?

There was no advantage to it, the disadvantage was: distillation requires a lot of energy hence money
There was no advantage to it, the disadvantage was: distillation requires a lot of energy hence money

Also there are many steps for Distillation, therefore its expensive as well, such as heating.
Original post by zali249

It was just generally that distillation is expensive- I suppose that you would both go into how the process how the process has many steps and also that large amounts of water would need to be distilled- using a lot of energy.
Original post by xoflower
So wait, what was the question and what was the answer?...? I said that it costs a lot of money as it needs lots of energy
Question - Why is distillation not good in economic terms? (or something like that)

Answer - Lots of money as lots of energy required to evaporate water, lots of steps (recondensing etc)
Reply 1139
Any predictions for the grade boundaries for C2? For A* and 100UMS?

Quick Reply

Latest