The Student Room Group

AQA AS English Literature- Victorian

Hi guys:smile: Just wondering how everyone is revising for the contextual linking part? Also, any guesses on which theme is going to come up? Thank you
Reply 1
finally a thread!!!! last years was on empire which in my opinion is the absolute worst topic out of the four. Maybe the woman question- that would be very nice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daveb1
finally a thread!!!! last years was on empire which in my opinion is the absolute worst topic out of the four. Maybe the woman question- that would be very nice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you find it?
Reply 3
Original post by emilialucy
How did you find it?

The section a wasnt as clear as i thought and it took me a few reads to find clear links with my wider reading but overall im pretty confident! You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daveb1
The section a wasnt as clear as i thought and it took me a few reads to find clear links with my wider reading but overall im pretty confident! You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I read "art" and I was like Oh God.. but then I saw it was pretty much about woman :biggrin:.

Had some clear WR links! So think it was pretty good :smile:! Wasn't as obvious as prior papers in analysing the actual extract though...
Reply 5
I read "art" and I was like Oh God.. but then I saw it was pretty much about woman :biggrin:.

Had some clear WR links! So think it was pretty good :smile:! Wasn't as obvious as prior papers in analysing the actual extract though...

I suggested the fact his hand was gloved showed the inverted gender stereotypes as gloved suggested purity, so used the novel jekyll and hyde to represent the two sides of the victorian upper class male hmmmm....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daveb1
I suggested the fact his hand was gloved showed the inverted gender stereotypes as gloved suggested purity, so used the novel jekyll and hyde to represent the two sides of the victorian upper class male hmmmm....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Regarding the gloved hand... I just said it reinforced class divisions and gender divisions (compare to "poor girl")

For WR I did:

Miss Julie
Lady of Shalott
Jane Eyre
& Genesis (Bible)
& In conclusion a bit about Ruskin and another lecture in which he states men are "the doer, the creator, the discover".

I didn't really cover all genres though, only really talked about women and class divisions :/
Reply 7
Regarding the gloved hand... I just said it reinforced class divisions and gender divisions (compare to "poor girl")

For WR I did:

Miss Julie
Lady of Shalott
Jane Eyre
& Genesis (Bible)
& In conclusion a bit about Ruskin and another lecture in which he states men are "the doer, the creator, the discover".

I didn't really cover all genres though, only really talked about women and class divisions :/

I used jekyll, cousin kate by rossetti and a woman of no importance :-) lady of shalott would have been great, but i used that for my tennyson answer! sounds like you nailed the conclusion!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daveb1
I used jekyll, cousin kate by rossetti and a woman of no importance :-) lady of shalott would have been great, but i used that for my tennyson answer! sounds like you nailed the conclusion!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't studied those but I'm sure they fitted well!.

Yeah, I read your not meant to use your poetry for WR but I just thought Lady of Shalott worked so well. Miss Julie also worked well as both had the imagery of the "dead bird".

What did you say about analysing the actual extract?
I think I talked about
- Emotive language "poor girl", juxtaposition of the man to the poor woman. How he victimiseses the women.
- Rhetorical approach
- Ambiguous as to his views regarding women (appreciates art though)
- Something about "light" - Bible reference.

How did you find Tennyson?
Reply 9
I haven't studied those but I'm sure they fitted well!.

Yeah, I read your not meant to use your poetry for WR but I just thought Lady of Shalott worked so well. Miss Julie also worked well as both had the imagery of the "dead bird".

What did you say about analysing the actual extract?
I think I talked about
- Emotive language "poor girl", juxtaposition of the man to the poor woman. How he victimiseses the women.
- Rhetorical approach
- Ambiguous as to his views regarding women (appreciates art though)
- Something about "light" - Bible reference.

How did you find Tennyson?

Argh your pushing my memory!!! I made sure i wrote a paragraph of the form of the letter... i referred to the complex sentence structure mirroring the mistress' decisions... i cant remember what else!!

I enjoyed tennyson; i chose the dramatic monolgoue question, comparong ulysses with lady of shalott and really felt like i nailed it. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daveb1
Argh your pushing my memory!!! I made sure i wrote a paragraph of the form of the letter... i referred to the complex sentence structure mirroring the mistress' decisions... i cant remember what else!!

I enjoyed tennyson; i chose the dramatic monolgoue question, comparong ulysses with lady of shalott and really felt like i nailed it. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I picked "Break, Break, Break" question as I felt you could wing that one :P

I just talked about Hallam in (Break, Break, Break), The Outcast (his fathers metal instability), In Memorium, & Northern Farmer.

Didn't really talk about form though, only language, so probably didn't do very well!
I picked "Break, Break, Break" question as I felt you could wing that one :P

I just talked about Hallam in (Break, Break, Break), The Outcast (his fathers metal instability), In Memorium, & Northern Farmer.

Didn't really talk about form though, only language, so probably didn't do very well!

Did you mention it even a little bit? Because I reckon you'll get away with it as most of my friends never go in to a lot of detail regarding form, so you might be okay! Also, I had a bit of a retard moment in the exam, where instead of writing Wilde, I wrote Hardy LOL. I only did it once and it was genuine mistake because I was thinking fast. Hope the examiner is a nice one and understands!:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jjmichaeljadson
Did you mention it even a little bit? Because I reckon you'll get away with it as most of my friends never go in to a lot of detail regarding form, so you might be okay! Also, I had a bit of a retard moment in the exam, where instead of writing Wilde, I wrote Hardy LOL. I only did it once and it was genuine mistake because I was thinking fast. Hope the examiner is a nice one and understands!:smile:

Can't really remember! But I mentioned a lot on language. To be honest by poetry question was very much a 'wiing it' question.

I'm sure they'll forgive you for that :P! What WR did you use? How many genres did you cover?
Can't really remember! But I mentioned a lot on language. To be honest by poetry question was very much a 'wiing it' question.

I'm sure they'll forgive you for that :P! What WR did you use? How many genres did you cover?

LOL hopefully! And I used Hard Times, A Doll's House, Maria Marten, The Harlot's House, The Strange Case of Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde and Tess. I covered all three genres, but my form was lacking and wasn't that much. Wbu?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest