The Student Room Group

SCLY2

Just making a thread for Education and Research Methods! :smile:)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Posted from TSR Mobile

GOOD! Since scly1 is over, let's focus on research methods & education!!
Predications?
Gosh don't start on sociology U2, not started revision!
Reply 4
I was told that functionalist might come up let's hope so
Reply 5
Examine the problems that sociologists may face when using covert participant
observation and covert non-participant observation in their research. 20 marks

How would you answer that question? What technique are you using to get the top band ? I can never go beyond 15 marks...
Im teaching myself sociology and don't really know how to lay out my answers..
for the 12 and 20 markers do you need to have an introduction and conclusion?
and also for the methods in context question how do you structure the essay and also do you include studies or anything?
I'm so worried about this exam - I've hardly done any revision for it :frown:

I'm hoping that the grade boundaries drop for all of the exams since we're doing all of them at the end of the year and not everyone will be fully prepared haha
I think functionalism...

What about research methods any predictions? Maybe documents?

Methods in context any advice on how to word this one ?
Original post by Meeka96
Examine the problems that sociologists may face when using covert participant
observation and covert non-participant observation in their research. 20 marks

How would you answer that question? What technique are you using to get the top band ? I can never go beyond 15 marks...

You need to mention ethical practical and theoretical issues. For example, you could have the issue of consent, getting in staying in and getting out, not breaking the law etc and stuff like how it would affect the reliability, time consuming, difficult to remember stuff to write down later if you're taking part so could be unreliable. Loads of stuff :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
What's the usual format of a unit 2 paper? Like, how many marks is each question worth and how many questions are there? I've completely forgotten and my laptop doesn't want to work so I can't look at past papers LOL I can remember that there are 12 and 20 markers, how are 12 markers structured? Thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nadia L.
What's the usual format of a unit 2 paper? Like, how many marks is each question worth and how many questions are there? I've completely forgotten and my laptop doesn't want to work so I can't look at past papers LOL I can remember that there are 12 and 20 markers, how are 12 markers structured? Thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a 2, 6, 12 and 20 mark for education, 20 for methods in context, 2, 4, 4 and 20 for research methods

For the 12 marker it's basically like a mini essay. Write 3 small/medium paragraphs with a distinct conclusion at the end :smile:

For the 4 and 6 markers you can just bullet point answers depending on the question
my teacher told me to use the format 'pervert' for the methods in context...

P - ractical Issues

E -thical Issues
R -eliability
V -alidity
E -xample
R -epresentativeness
T -heoretical Issues

and it actually works really well because it helps you remember everything you need to include!!
Original post by laurasaich
my teacher told me to use the format 'pervert' for the methods in context...

P - ractical Issues

E -thical Issues
R -eliability
V -alidity
E -xample
R -epresentativeness
T -heoretical Issues

and it actually works really well because it helps you remember everything you need to include!!

Yeah my teacher told us the same thing. Everyone was like what at first haha
Original post by silverling
Yeah my teacher told us the same thing. Everyone was like what at first haha

hahah same!!! i just need to remember to cross 'pervert' out once ive done the question haha
There's a 2, 6, 12 and 20 mark for education, 20 for methods in context, 2, 4, 4 and 20 for research methods

For the 12 marker it's basically like a mini essay. Write 3 small/medium paragraphs with a distinct conclusion at the end :smile:

For the 4 and 6 markers you can just bullet point answers depending on the question

Thanks! What's methods in context? The 20 marker that gives you an item that you're meant to refer to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Any idea what's coming up in the 12 marker???
Reply 17
Im revising for the education and research right now and some of it seems like new stuff im learning. Anyway I really hope the questions are easier and grade boundaries drop.
I don't know why but im thinking that the 20 marker will be on something like gender and achievement. :|

Also what problems do you usually face when doing education section? For me its time and remembering the sociologist names! :/
Original post by GHADAH
Im revising for the education and research right now and some of it seems like new stuff im learning. Anyway I really hope the questions are easier and grade boundaries drop.
I don't know why but im thinking that the 20 marker will be on something like gender and achievement. :|

Also what problems do you usually face when doing education section? For me its time and remembering the sociologist names! :/

You don't HAVE to remember names. You won't lose marks. You should, if you want to, make a small list of some of the absolute key ones like Bernstein for example as he's important
It's the same as unit 1, you remember Parsons and Murdock because they're key. Just do the same for this unit :smile:!
Reply 19
You don't HAVE to remember names. You won't lose marks. You should, if you want to, make a small list of some of the absolute key ones like Bernstein for example as he's important
It's the same as unit 1, you remember Parsons and Murdock because they're key. Just do the same for this unit :smile:!

:O thank you! That makes sence, So now I focus on time management :biggrin: by the way just wondering if anyone knows but, would unit one questions appear in unit 2? For example in culture and identity we got functionalist questions already so surely they wouldn't ask any more functionalist questions for unit 2??

I hope i made some sence. O.o

Quick Reply