The Student Room Group

Igcse chemistry edexcel - paper 1c (13.5.14)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
to provide energy for the collisions to be successful . and for the reaction to occur . It was a guess wbu ?
And why are polymers non biodegradable ?
Reply 81
Original post by Ammar97
to provide energy for the collisions to be successful . and for the reaction to occur . It was a guess wbu ?

I said because they are inert :smile:
i also said that due to their inertness.Diamonds question i have written that :biggrin:iamond has a atomic structure bonded by covalent bond of carbon and carbon atoms . The structure formed mannered as a tetrahedral arrangement . This tetrahedral arrangement makes diamond very hard by forming strong intermolecular forces. To discreet this interaction a lot of energy is required. ( Is it correct , if it , how many marks i would get from 4 marks )Candidates what you have written , using burette instead of pipette )I have written , pipette measures the fixed volume .
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by Ammar97

Yup, 'cause they're inert. But tell me, why do crystals form when the hot saturated solution is cooled?
Original post by D_Vadgama
Isn't in that any topic can come in any of the two papers. It's only that paper 2 is more experiment based.

Posted from TSR Mobile

YOU must check the specifications so many things we dont need to know for paper 1 and only for paper 2
Reply 85
Original post by Jackhay
Oh yeah, was that the one where before it asked for the moles or conc. of NaOH and it was like 0.25/0.25?

Yeah, but that was, like, the first or second part. The answer to the very last part should be 8.8...
Reply 86
Original post by amamsy
Yeah, but that was, like, the first or second part. The answer to the very last part should be 8.8...

thats a relief that I have done it, thanks
Reply 87
Original post by amamsy
Yup, 'cause they're inert. But tell me, why do crystals form when the hot saturated solution is cooled?

As temp of solution decreases, so does the solubility of salts, so as a saturated solution cools it is thrown out of solution.
Original post by Jackhay
As temp of solution decreases, so does the solubility of salts, so as a saturated solution cools it is thrown out of solution.

Could you talk about water of crystallisation left in it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amamsy

i wrote for the polymers, because of the way that they are bonded nothing can be go through them, or something like that would i get the mark >.<

edit: because microorganisms cannot break them down*
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by GCSEsitter
Could you talk about water of crystallisation left in it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you mean?
Original post by Jackhay
How do you mean?

That when the solution is heated and cooled there is still a bit of water left which is in the ionic structure as water of crystallisation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Original post by a-spiringmedic
i wrote for the polymers, because of the way that they are bonded nothing can be go through them, or something like that would i get the mark >.<

edit: because microorganisms cannot break them down*

I don't think so, because it says on the specification exactly "understand that these polymers do not easily biodegrade as they are inert". But it's only a one-mark question, so don't worry too much :smile:
Original post by amamsy
I don't think so, because it says on the specification exactly "understand that these polymers do not easily biodegrade as they are inert". But it's only a one-mark question, so don't worry too much :smile:

didn't see that on the spec :frown: thanks tho
anyone plz answered my questions , that diamond was
Reply 95
That when the solution is heated and cooled there is still a bit of water left which is in the ionic structure as water of crystallisation

Posted from TSR Mobile

The crystallisation is the 3d giant lattice structure, but it has water 'locked' inside the crystal, hence CuSO4.5H2O
Reply 96
Original post by a-spiringmedic
didn't see that on the spec :frown: thanks tho

I think it is not only the fact it is inert, but also Polymers such as this have never been seen by decomposers before, and thus they do not have the enzymes to deal with it.
Can anyone tell me what the last question on the chemistry paper was exactly i.e what was the equation they gave or does anyone have access to the actual paper. Thanks very much, much appreciated
Reply 98
Can anyone tell me what the last question on the chemistry paper was exactly i.e what was the equation they gave or does anyone have access to the actual paper. Thanks very much, much appreciated

All I can remember was that it was definitely 2 moles of NaOH (In the equation it was "2NaOH") reacting with 1 mole of the other substance which I can't remember
Diamonds question i have written that iamond has a atomic structure bonded by covalent bond of carbon and carbon atoms . The structure formed mannered as a tetrahedral arrangement . This tetrahedral arrangement makes diamond very hard by forming strong intermolecular forces. To discreet this interaction a lot of energy is required. ( Is it correct , if it , how many marks i would get from 4 marks )Candidates what you have written , using burette instead of pipette )I have written , pipette measures the fixed volume . PLZ ANYONE QUESTION MY ANSWER

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending