The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA History A Medicine Through Time

Which question did you choose for the surgery and anatomy question?
I answered the question about the Renaissance. Can anyone confirm what the other time period you had to write about was?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Kman23
Which question did you choose for the surgery and anatomy question?
I answered the question about the Renaissance. Can anyone confirm what the other time period you had to write about was?

Yeah I did that question too, are you asking about what to compare it to? If so then the 20th century surgery I.e X ray, plastic surgery
Reply 2
Original post by Sean6636
Yeah I did that question too, are you asking about what to compare it to? If so then the 20th century surgery I.e X ray, plastic surgery

Yes I wrote about similar points too. Thanks for your input
Predicted grade thresholds:
42/54 = A*
38/54 = A
34/54 = B
Original post by jpetersgill
Predicted grade thresholds:
42/54 = A*
38/54 = A
34/54 = B

Aren't they a bit low? 38 was like a B last year? And the paper wasn't that hard so i thought they might go up?

How are you preparing for American west?
Original post by lyricalvibe
Aren't they a bit low? 38 was like a B last year? And the paper wasn't that hard so i thought they might go up?

How are you preparing for American west?

Don't know where you're getting that from - 33 was a B last year,
So, these are each one mark higher than last year's. Also, this being the first year of linear should bring lower grade boundaries than before.

I don't do American West - we do Germany 1919-45 !
Reply 6
So, these are each one mark higher than last year's. Also, this being the first year of linear should bring lower grade boundaries than before.

Yup makes sense . I ran out of time for section b and c . Absolutely gutted to bits , I had 25 minutes to do section b and c . Did Section B in 15 mins found it relatively easy , rushed it like hell but I think I picked up a decent amount of marks .... but section c ... only completed the 4 marker and I think I only picked up around 3 marks . In other words .. I think I got a B .

I'm expecting grade boundaries to be low this year , this is because its linear as you said and also section a was kind of hard . The cleverest guy in my class struggled with this paper due to the first section screwing him over (source a , fml) He usually achieves 90% + .
Original post by Ibzster
Yup makes sense . I ran out of time for section b and c . Absolutely gutted to bits , I had 25 minutes to do section b and c . Did Section B in 15 mins found it relatively easy , rushed it like hell but I think I picked up a decent amount of marks .... but section c ... only completed the 4 marker and I think I only picked up around 3 marks . In other words .. I think I got a B .

I'm expecting grade boundaries to be low this year , this is because its linear as you said and also section a was kind of hard . The cleverest guy in my class struggled with this paper due to the first section screwing him over (source a , fml) He usually achieves 90% + .

Yeah you'll be fine as many screwed up this year! Source A was very hard. I found section C much easier that B personally - I didn't know so much detail about technology in Public Health, other than the roman aqueducts and the regeneration of housing by Lloyd George ! Afterwards, I realised I should have talked about Bazalgette !!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woah, I got 38 in my mock and my teacher was telling me it was à B -_- sorry! Ah, ok, the Rest of the logic seems sound :smile:
And ok, sorry
Original post by lyricalvibe
Woah, I got 38 in my mock and my teacher was telling me it was à B -_- sorry! Ah, ok, the Rest of the logic seems sound :smile:
And ok, sorry

Yeah, teachers always do that so you're 'even happier' with your final results. No problem, good luck !
Reply 10
Original post by Ibzster

For source A, i talked about the medicine man - leader of large groups etc. knowledge of herbal remedies and spirits, and the fact that evil spirits was believed cause disease, so they carried out trephining. Do you think that would be alright? i didn't think it was that hard of a test, it was just the time :/
What did everyone think of it overall?

I did Nazi Germany and Medicine Through Time...

The 2 hour time limit killed me, my hand was about to drop off...I really think I screwed it up - I had so much to say for the sources and so little time, I'm so annoyed with myself! Am I the only one who struggled? :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by victoria.98

The 2 hour time limit killed me, my hand was about to drop off...I really think I screwed it up - I had so much to say for the sources and so little time, I'm so annoyed with myself! Am I the only one who struggled? :frown:

2 hours? i just got an hour and 45
2 hours? i just got an hour and 45

That's crazy...
Yeah I got an hour and 45 too, same for my mocks this year and last year.
Original post by victoria.98

My class and the other class in my year are generally pretty good but everyone struggled.. Even the best struggled and some came out crying.. Hopefully it will mean low grade boundaries though. It's funny because it wasn't a terrible paper, guess the pressure got to people.
thought the paper was great but i started to naturally write about the 1800s when comparing to the renaissance in the surgery and anatomy question but realised with like 5 minutes left and wrote as much as i could about the 1900s, fingers crossed it wont damage my grade too much :s-smilie:
Reply 17
For source A, i talked about the medicine man - leader of large groups etc. knowledge of herbal remedies and spirits, and the fact that evil spirits was believed cause disease, so they carried out trephining. Do you think that would be alright? i didn't think it was that hard of a test, it was just the time :/

Same here mate ... had to rush like hell . Didn't even do the last question *Sigh
Reply 18
Yeah you'll be fine as many screwed up this year! Source A was very hard. I found section C much easier that B personally - I didn't know so much detail about technology in Public Health, other than the roman aqueducts and the regeneration of housing by Lloyd George ! Afterwards, I realised I should have talked about Bazalgette !!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd be delighted with a B in this exam (high B) , I already got a high be in my CA too . So the nazi paper i'm going to have to smash to get an A overall ... do you think it's possible ?
I got an A* in my mock and i'd be lucky to get a B in this, the time we get is NOT enough, i missed out the 8 MARK question (idiot i know) and the ones i did, especially at the end were so so rushed. A lot of people in my year found this test hard as well, so annoying, i feel as though it was ok for people that were aiming for C's however for those who were aiming for higher grades there was not enough time to put in everything you could. Predictions for mark boundaries?

Quick Reply

Latest