The Student Room Group

Any students/young people here running their own business?

Just out of interest is there anyone on here who has their own business? Or trying to start their own business?

Scroll to see replies

I did one when I was 13 for a year that involved leasing VPS for botting games. Currently I'm a part of one startup in which you essentially buy favours through a site, and I'm also starting another

Message me if you want to hear about my ideas, I like sharing!
I've got an ecommerce store but I am trying to flog it as I can't really be bothered with it.
I had a "Business Enterprise" company at secondary school selling small gifts/ jewelry and stuff. Wasn't very profitable though - the only successful businesses were those selling sweets (high profit margins, minimum effort), or those the school really got behind (there was a clothes business that ended up doing all the school branded clothing and a printing business that got a fortune out of printing prospectuses/ brochures for the school).

I recently set up my own website, www.passionateaboutscience.co.uk, which isn't really a business since I'm not really aiming to make money - just to inspire younger students to pursue STEM degrees and careers. I just about make enough from the google/ amazon ads to break even on the domain names/ internet space.
Anyone else?

I am thinking about starting a business in the future...
Reply 5
Original post by Dee Leigh
Anyone else?

I am thinking about starting a business in the future...

I'm really considering starting my own business/company. So far I'm interested in the technology/wearable technology/app development/computer software/internet marketing niches. I'm also keeping my options open and might even forgo starting uni this year in order to pursue my business venture.

What about you? What type of business you thinking of starting and how long do you think before you'll start?

I've been discussing with a close friend of mine who's really good at programming about starting an app development business and we could be business partners. We're at R&D right now and he has exams coming up so we're taking it slow for now.

Posted fromTSR Mobile
Original post by mahad1912
I'm really considering starting my own business/company. So far I'm interested in the technology/wearable technology/app development/computer software/internet marketing niches. I'm also keeping my options open and might even forgo starting uni this year in order to pursue my business venture.

What about you? What type of business you thinking of starting and how long do you think before you'll start?

I've been discussing with a close friend of mine who's really good at programming about starting an app development business and we could be business partners. We're at R&D right now and he has exams coming up so we're taking it slow for now.

Posted fromTSR Mobile

I'm not so sure yet but possibly something with selling nail polish and fake nails...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
I'm not so sure yet but possible something with selling nail polish and fake nails...

That's good. I have a friend who's talented when it comes to doing nails. Like literally she can do any design for you. I keep telling her to provide it as a service and she'd make decent money while at uni but she doesn't want to sadly.

Your start up cost would be small and your returns would be decent as well until you have enough money to expand your range.

I'm really considering starting a business while at uni too.

Posted fromTSR Mobile
That's good. I have a friend who's talented when it comes to doing nails. Like literally she can do any design for you. I keep telling her to provide it as a service and she'd make decent money while at uni but she doesn't want to sadly.

Your start up cost would be small and your returns would be decent as well until you have enough money to expand your range.

I'm really considering starting a business while at uni too.

Posted fromTSR Mobile

Oh OK. She sounds quite good! :-)

I'm thinking of starting out by selling nail polish on eBay.
Reply 9
Oh OK. She sounds quite good! :-)

I'm thinking of starting out by selling nail polish on eBay.

Speaking of eBay, you just reminded me about dropshipping on there or amazon. It's not that hard and the startup costs are significantly reduced compared to other business startups/opportunities.

Have you heard about dropshipping before?

Posted fromTSR Mobile
Speaking of eBay, you just reminded me about dropshipping on there or amazon. It's not that hard and the startup costs are significantly reduced compared to other business startups/opportunities.

Have you heard about dropshipping before?

Posted fromTSR Mobile

No I have never heard of it before. Please explain more.
No I have never heard of it before. Please explain more.

It's a non starter. Prices too high and too many people sell dropshipped stuff because of the low barriers to entry.
Reply 12
I started my own business under another umbrella organisation. It's going really well. Minimal start up costs and if you work hard you can make a really amazing income!
Reply 13
I sold young fry (baby fish) that my rare tropical fish gave birth to.

I ended up with 5 fish tanks around my house, 3 just for housing young fish to sell online.

I made a few hundred pounds profit, as costs were only really water cleaning kit etc... as fish that are 5mm eat and excrete very little, lol
Reply 14
I run an online business selling phone and tablet cases. Started off with a £75 investment and 2 years later I've turned over £27000. Didn't expect it to grow this quickly but I can't complain! Gets complicated when it comes to taxes but in the end it's all worth it.
I am currently in the process of starting my 2nd business which will be up and running before September. I am now at the employing stage. Hiring graphic designers, website designers - tool based prefered, search engine optimisers, social media marketers and online advertisers. Must be Talented.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Scott.mj90
I am currently in the process of starting my 2nd business which will be up and running before September. I am now at the employing stage. Hiring graphic designers, website designers - tool based prefered, search engine optimisers, social media marketers and online advertisers. Must be Talented.

What's the business you're starting?

Posted fromTSR Mobile
What's the business you're starting?

Posted fromTSR Mobile

Please read the quote that you just quoted.
Original post by Scott.mj90
Please read the quote that you just quoted.

Ah I see, my mistake I must have misread it.

Posted fromTSR Mobile
Ah I see, my mistake I must have misread it.

Posted fromTSR Mobile

Sorry I had to be so short with my reply to you but I was very busy. The business evolves around those jobs that I advertised. It aims at helping small & new business with small budgets to get help where no one else will. My role is to generate leads, show the portfolios of employees/freelancers and then let the client decide who they want on there project.

Hope this give you a little more insight.

Quick Reply

Latest