The Student Room Group

STEP 2005 Solutions Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by rath90
Hi there how you work out the first few terms of the expansion (1+(3/x))^-1 ?

Standard binomial expansion :smile:
Original post by Glutamic Acid
II/4:

1st part

2nd part

3rd part

For part III does it matter which values you choose?
Original post by Principia
For part III does it matter which values you choose?

In order to use the previous result you must choose values so that p+q+s=13,p+q+r=21,p+r+u=87 ,p+r+v-187 and p=7
Original post by brianeverit
In order to use the previous result you must choose values so that p+q+s=13,p+q+r=21,p+r+u=87 ,p+r+v-187 and p=7

I did that, but can it be any values that meet those criteria? i.e. there are then an infinite amount of solutions.
Original post by Principia
I did that, but can it be any values that meet those criteria? i.e. there are then an infinite amount of solutions.

Yes, the solution is not unique but you must check that your values satisfy all the criteria.
Reply 65
Original post by SimonM
STEP III, Question 4

Spoiler

Very nice approach by Simon. In (ii), probably need to exclude period =1, i.e. a=b and k=2 (c=1).
Original post by SimonM
STEP II, Question 1

Spoiler

when comparing coefficients did you put this
Let P=x4+px3+qx2+rx+sP = x^4+px^3+qx^2+rx+s

P=4x3+3px2+2qx+rP' = 4x^3+3px^2+2qx+r

into

Therefore P(x)2xP(x)=kx(x2a2)(x2b2)P'(x) - 2xP(x) = kx(x^2-a^2)(x^2-b^2)
An almost complete solution to STEP III Q 12:
Reply 68
Original post by nuodai
Ah what the hell,
STEP I 2005 Question 1

Part (i)

Part (ii)

One of my students just came up with what I think is a really great way of solving part (b), which requires no splitting into cases, and in my opinion is more elegant than the board's published answer (and the answer already suggested on this thread):

Solution as follows:

The maximum sum is 45, by using 99999 (uniquely). To make 39, we must subtract a total of six from the digits of 99999, so use the symbol x to represent subtracting one from a digit, and / to represent moving on to the next digit in the number [e.g. x/x/x/x/xx would mean subtract one from the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th digits, and subtract two from the 5th digit; //xxx/x/xx would mean subtract nothing from the 1st and 2nd digits, then three from the 3rd digit, one from the 4th digit, and two from the 5th digit]. But now the problem just becomes how many ways are there of arranging 6 "x" symbols and 4 "/" symbols, i.e.10C4 = 210.
Reply 69
Original post by sonofdot
STEP II 2005 Question 8

First Part

Sketch One

Sketch Two

if we consider the sketch part for x<0, Is it symmetric of x>0?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending