The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sod that, go get a job. You'll struggle on that.
Reply 2
£25 per week doesn't sound that bad... shop at Lidls/Aldi, super cheap and not bad quality
Original post by Genocidal
Sod that, go get a job. You'll struggle on that.

But i would be a student and would only be able to get a temp job during summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toonervoustotalk
But i would be a student and would only be able to get a temp job during summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why can't you get a job while studying?

Anyway, I don't think £100 a month is bad at all but then again I don't eat much/well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing a temp job at a warehouse, it's **** but its pay £7.50 P/h for 8 hours. £60 a day and £260 a week after tax, in 4 weeks i'll make a grand. After you make a few hundred just leave.
Original post by Engineer2015
I'm doing a temp job at a warehouse, it's **** but its pay £7.50 P/h for 8 hours. £60 a day and £260 a week after tax, in 4 weeks i'll make a grand. After you make a few hundred just leave.

Ok thanks.will start looking next year. I am only in AS wondering if it was possible to survive on £100 per month on food.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok thanks.will start looking next year. I am only in AS wondering if it was possible to survive on £100 per month on food.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As people have said, get a job whilst you study. Lots of students do. I think few students can afford to do nothing unless they get help from their parents. Eating on £100 a month is highly restrictive. I eat more than that a week.
Reply 8
I spend about £20 on a weekly shop at ALDI. If the £100 is just for food you'll be fine.

If not then you'll have like £5 disposable income afterwards which i'm not sure you'll manage on.
Reply 9
You need to think about other costs also. Just food you can get away from as little as £25 a week however when you add beer, deodorant, toothpaste etc... You will quickly be up to £70 a week (£10 a day)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
£25 a week isn't too bad; a lot of students are on that kind of budget and manage well. You need to plan your meals for the week in advance and buy all the ingredients you need for the week. Every time I cook I make at least enough for 2 meals, it saves time and money. If you get basics range from tescos it should be fine.You do need to make sure you stick to your plan. Eating out can completely blow your budget!
What foods should i buy and where should i buy foods.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Make soup in bulk if you can and get yourself a slow cooker. Cheap cuts of meat are really good when cooked slowly. Always go to the supermarkets at the end of the day and get the marked down food. It is easy to feed yourself on about 3-4 pounds a day - I have been doing it for the past two months to save money
Reply 12

Posted from TSR Mobile

If that money is just for food, it's entirely possible. The easiest way to do it is to buy things in bulk - large bags or rice and pasta are usually pretty cheap considering the amount of meals they make, for example.

Be aware when thinking about getting a job - it is unfeasible on some courses at some universities (particularly in later years) to be working more than a couple of hours a week.
As people have said, get a job whilst you study. Lots of students do. I think few students can afford to do nothing unless they get help from their parents. Eating on £100 a month is highly restrictive. I eat more than that a week.

You eat more than £100 of food in a week.?! :eek:

That is in no way a normal student diet. You're either eating LOADS or buying very expensive food.
Reply 14
Easy. my weekly food bill is always under 30 and I don't really try to cut costs. If I really wanted to I could limit it to 20. If you have an Aldi or a Lidl near you go there. If not try asda. You can get a weeks worth of pasta for about 30p amoung other stuff. My foods tend to be fairly repetitive which is probably why it works out cheaper.
£1 ready meal a day = life complete :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is perfectly ample to survive on. In fact, I am a graduate earning a good wage and I still only spend about £20-25 a week on food.

The trick is to learn to cook and then cook in batch/freeze. Plan your meals to reduce food waste. Get flexible with what you buy; get stuff on offer rather than your normal brand. Do your shopping in more than one place - some shops are good for certain things and bad for others. Try new foods and add things to meals you wouldn't usually to bulk them out. It's very simple!
Original post by Daniellejo.
You eat more than £100 of food in a week.?! :eek:

That is in no way a normal student diet. You're either eating LOADS or buying very expensive food.

I'm not a student these days. :wink:

The normal student diet is crap. I couldn't eat the rubbish I hear people talking about on here. For a start, I find pasta to be the most boring food on Earth.
I'm not a student these days. :wink:

The normal student diet is crap. I couldn't eat the rubbish I hear people talking about on here. For a start, I find pasta to be the most boring food on Earth.

Well I suppose that more understandable, but still pretty excessive. :eek:
Anyway, that's obviously not going to be viable for the OP if he's planning on just living on a loan lol.
What foods should i buy and where should i buy foods.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feed 2 of us on 10-20 a week.

Tips: don't eat meat, if you do its cheaper at the butchers than the supermarket

Get fresh veg from corner shops/grocers

Cook in bulk, eat your leftover dinner the next day for lunch and freeze some.

Don't buy anything pre made, cook everything from scratch

Frozen veg is cheap and healthy

Latest