The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moey3
"So Arsenal beat a Hull team that bottled a 2-0 lead and all of a sudden Arsenal are a great team and Arsene Wenger is a legend again.

Whooptee doo... 1 trophy in 9 years doesn't make you a good manager, it just means you beat a mediocre team in a cup final that isn't half as meaningful now compared to the last time Arsenal won it!"
Reference: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27354148[h="4"]416.[/h] raithroversfc2711

And thus, it has started :rofl:

Lol just shut up man.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How much trophy. Lul.

Meh we'll be back next season. We managed to do good in a season where we had 10 men playing for 80% of the season anyway.

Original post by Pete_91
It's not as big as the PL/CL but it's the next big thing. It's winning something that's important, equalling the record for FA Cup final appearances and wins is pretty special too. You can see what the FA cup did for City and what the LC did for Chelsea all those years ago.

I agree. It's a precursor yes, just look at Atlético. They won the europa league then they won the kings cup, now they've now won la liga two years later and are on track to win a CL.

I can see the elation but tbf you're 7 points off top and won a trophy. 7 points that could easily have been made by Ramsey and Walcott being fit.

Personally I see it being a 3 horse next season with one of Liverpool or United coming 4th, most likely Liverpool.
Original post by jam278

Personally I see it being a 3 horse next season with one of Liverpool or United coming 4th, most likely Liverpool.

I think UTD will sort them selves out for 4th place at least. If we actually strengthened this summer than I see us finishing above city/2nd place.
If Costa deal takes place than you guys have pretty much got 1st and anything less would be a disappointment.

Liverpool will probably win the fa cup next year lol
what are we expecting of Ramsey next season?

A lampard-esque season of 05-06?

Although he is now going to have to deal with the problem of being double marked, though that should free up another DM, hopefully not Arteta.

Throwing these in here. Well worth a watch.

Reply 4684
He'll go to Chelsea this summer, mark my words.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by heiljoe
what are we expecting of Ramsey next season?

A lampard-esque season of 05-06?

Although he is now going to have to deal with the problem of being double marked, though that should free up another DM, hopefully not Arteta.

Throwing these in here. Well worth a watch.

Highly doubt he will be double-marked, its usually the strikers/wingers that are. Anyway, if that's the case, there won't be enough to mark Ozil, Walcott and our 'new' quality striker anyway :biggrin:
It's great that you won but some of the delusion is unreal, saying this is a turning point or stepping stone and what not. You're still behind City and Chelsea in league competitiveness, and probably Liverpool are ahead of you too. An FA cup doesn't change that, you need to focus on building squad depth if you want to go far in the league and CL. It would be a farce if Giroud and Sanogo were your two strikers again next season. If Wenger doesn't spend in the right way it will be the same thing next season.

Btw Your league performance this year was almost as worst as last year, and that's saying something seeing as you've been scrapping for 4th on both occasions. Made worse this year having lead the table for half the season. The FA cup has masked that quite well, very few people are making a deal of it.

But you made the best out of a pretty awful PL campaign this season IMO, much like we did last season with the Europa league.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FKLW
He'll go to Chelsea this summer, mark my words.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They can't afford him.
Original post by gunit123
Highly doubt he will be double-marked, its usually the strikers/wingers that are. Anyway, if that's the case, there won't be enough to mark Ozil, Walcott and our 'new' quality striker anyway :biggrin:

that was essentially what Hull did for long periods.
Double mark ramsey, and rush at Arteta when he had the ball, knowing he isnt a true DMF and doesn't have the strength nor pace to throw them off.

I wonder if we'll say Chambo at DMF next season too :holmes:
Reply 4689
Original post by Pete_91
They can't afford him.

How much? £25 million?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
I think UTD will sort them selves out for 4th place at least. If we actually strengthened this summer than I see us finishing above city/2nd place.
If Costa deal takes place than you guys have pretty much got 1st and anything less would be a disappointment.

Liverpool will probably win the fa cup next year lol

I think that Arsenal are a team that are set up in a way that means that you're totally reliant on key players being fit. It's the case that teams just squeezed up against you and you couldn't do anything due to the lack of pace in wide areas/up front.

Costa deal would sort out half our problem. Other half of the problem is our CMs. Only Matic really deserves to play week in week out, a 25 year old Lampard and/or Michael Ballack in his hey days would make us champions elect by january if we got Costa on top. The team we have now is not at the level of our double winning team under Ancelotti(who are better than City's team now)
Original post by Isometrix
It's great that you won but some of the delusion is unreal, saying this is a turning point or stepping stone and what not. You're still behind City and Chelsea in league competitiveness, and probably Liverpool are ahead of you too. An FA cup doesn't change that, you need to focus on building squad depth if you want to go far in the league and CL. It would be a farce if Giroud and Sanogo were your two strikers again next season. If Wenger doesn't spend in the right way it will be the same thing next season.

Btw Your league performance this year was almost as worst as last year, and that's saying something seeing as you've been scrapping for 4th on both occasions. Made worse this year having lead the table for half the season. The FA cup has masked that quite well, very few people are making a deal of it.

But you made the best out of a pretty awful PL campaign this season IMO, much like we did last season with the Europa league.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stop being bitter, we came 4th but were only 7 points off top spot and had our best points total for 7 seasons. As has been said we only needed to not drop the points against Southampton and Swansea and improved against Stoke and we'd have made up that 7 point gap (that was the point we had no Walcott, Wilshere, Ozil and Ramsey). No one is saying we're going to win the league next season, but to say we aren't becoming major contenders is frankly ignorant.
Original post by FKLW
How much? £25 million?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wenger said he wouldn't sell him for 50m.
AR_95 is my fav arsenal poster now, a true realist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AR_95 is my fav arsenal poster now, a true realist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only because he's backed you, which I do too with Costa tbh.
We've won more trophies this season than Chelsea, Liverpool, Barcelona and the scum combined this season.
I don't think anyone was saying we were going to go on and win the league next season or whatever, but rather this will act as a springboard for the future, but the only way we can truly kick on is entirely dependent on what we do in the summer. Winning the FA Cup won't change the fact that we need a RB, DM, CB and ST at the minimum along with a 2nd choice GK and LW, we are still a few quality players short.
Original post by what is this
We've won more trophies this season than Chelsea, Liverpool, Barcelona and the scum combined this season.

Dont forget man united

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4698
Original post by Pete_91
Wenger said he wouldn't sell him for 50m.

Just empty words though surely? I doubt he wouldn't accept that kinda crazy offer. You guys need the money anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Arsenal are contenders.

I don't think they'll come any higher than 3rd though. Honestly United are the only team I see coming above 3rd other than Chelsea and City.

But honestly City have jammed their way to another title with the best team in the league by far(compare their title wins to Uniteds 06-09 or Chelsea's and Arsenals). If they haven't clicked in the past 4 years then I don't think they'll click miraculously.

Latest