The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This summer's going to be a massive one. A couple of strong signings and we could be right up there with Chelsea/City next season, but on the other hand with United likely to splash the cash and Spurs bound to improve along with Everton, we could be left by the wayside if we don't strengthen properly. Ecstatic about the cup win but I hope it's the start of a new period of success, rather than Wenger's last hurrah.
Original post by jam278
Arsenal are contenders.

I don't think they'll come any higher than 3rd though. Honestly United are the only team I see coming above 3rd other than Chelsea and City.

But honestly City have jammed their way to another title with the best team in the league by far(compare their title wins to Uniteds 06-09 or Chelsea's and Arsenals). If they haven't clicked in the past 4 years then I don't think they'll click miraculously.

City's situation is quite weird in that sense. I honestly believe they don't really have the hunger bar a few players like yaya and kompany. The other players probably don't really try as they think they've got 10 other world class players in the team :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol. Everton are just going to stay were they are. When you chop and change a team as often as Martinez does there's going to be that lack of cohesion originally.

At the start of the season that costed them dearly.
Original post by Theflyingbarney
This summer's going to be a massive one. A couple of strong signings and we could be right up there with Chelsea/City next season, but on the other hand with United likely to splash the cash and Spurs bound to improve along with Everton, we could be left by the wayside if we don't strengthen properly. Ecstatic about the cup win but I hope it's the start of a new period of success, rather than Wenger's last hurrah.

This. This transfer window is huge.
Original post by jam278
I think that Arsenal are a team that are set up in a way that means that you're totally reliant on key players being fit. It's the case that teams just squeezed up against you and you couldn't do anything due to the lack of pace in wide areas/up front.

Costa deal would sort out half our problem. Other half of the problem is our CMs. Only Matic really deserves to play week in week out, a 25 year old Lampard and/or Michael Ballack in his hey days would make us champions elect by january if we got Costa on top. The team we have now is not at the level of our double winning team under Ancelotti(who are better than City's team now)

Think we'll be sorted with a fit team, Walcott just adds that bit of flair we're sometimes lacking up front and he'll probably make things a bit easier for Ozil. Chamberlain is only going to get better so I see us being a lot stronger on the attack next season. Podolski's been on and off for us however I wouldn't rule him out off the big games since he has scored vs both Liverpool and Bayern, but I think we'll need some one who offers more than just a solid finish. I really do hope we activate Vela's clause because it would be absolute criminal if we didn't. We'll be sorted out for these situations but obviously injuries will happen so I'm not going to say now it'll be the perfect season.

Matic has been quite solid from what I've seen of him ( though not enough). It's seemed like on the attack you guys have got into the right positions but severely lacking the finish (which Costa should be able to provide). Your midfield looks shackled tbh. I guess the other half of your problem is whether Mourinho can keep the locker room on his side. Everyone wishes you guys played more attacking football since you have one of the best attacking players in the league anyway. Have to take into consideration how content the players will be for playing ultra defensive football before getting fed up and moving to other teams (which I can see Hazard doing eventually). There's not too many world class CM's available at the moment though probably will massively change after the world cup. Who would you want to go for?
Reply 4705
Original post by FKLW
How much? £25 million?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know what the other Welsh man went for?
Reply 4706
Original post by 419
Do you know what the other Welsh man went for?

You can't compare the 2 players. Bale is clearly steaks ahead and Ramsey had has one good season. He's not worth than £25 million.... Yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FKLW
Just empty words though surely? I doubt he wouldn't accept that kinda crazy offer. You guys need the money anyway.

He's 23 years old, on a 5 year contract, loves the club and is off the back of a season where he scored 16 and assisted 9 in 34 appearances from CM. At this moment in time he's pretty much priceless, would take a ridiculous offer for us to even consider letting him leave.

And nope, we don't need the money. Our new sponsorship deals are in full effect from this summer (£60m a season combined from Puma/Emirates) on top of the new TV rights, Champions League football, massive gate recipts etc. mean that we're not the same old Arsenal who need to sell our assets ever summer to fund our stadium debt.

The future looks bright!
Reply 4708
Somebody bit the bait :rofl: I'm lucky Zurich isn't here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam278
Lol. Everton are just going to stay were they are. When you chop and change a team as often as Martinez does there's going to be that lack of cohesion originally.

At the start of the season that costed them dearly.

Everton's success was also massively dependant on the downfall of both UTD and Tottenham. They're not going to have as strong of a season next year and they won't finish 5th especially if they lose some of their loans
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by FKLW
Somebody bit the bait :rofl: I'm lucky Zurich isn't here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You got me, fair play son. Not difficult considering I'm looking for anything to distract me from exam revision though!
Where's Zurich, tell him Daddy's back.
Original post by Theflyingbarney
Spurs bound to improve along with Everton, we could be left by the wayside if we don't strengthen properly.

Everyone has said this for the past few summers and it never happens. Like Jam says they'll stay exactly where they are, no chance of either of them getting into the top four. In fact at least one of them will drop a place due to how **** United were last season.

Original post by Pete_91
As has been said we only needed to not drop the points against Southampton and Swansea and improved against Stoke and we'd have made up that 7 point gap (that was the point we had no Walcott, Wilshere, Ozil and Ramsey)

Not sure how this statement has any relevance given how ALL the top teams dropped points in games like that.
Reply 4713
Original post by J.Star
You got me, fair play son. Not difficult considering I'm looking for anything to distract me from exam revision though!

Same :lol: badly procastrinating man.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Vanity
Where's Zurich, tell him Daddy's back.

Why did your account get banned in the first place?
Original post by J.Star
He's 23 years old, on a 5 year contract, loves the club and is off the back of a season where he scored 16 and assisted 9 in 34 appearances from CM. At this moment in time he's pretty much priceless, would take a ridiculous offer for us to even consider letting him leave.

And nope, we don't need the money. Our new sponsorship deals are in full effect from this summer (£60m a season combined from Puma/Emirates) on top of the new TV rights, Champions League football, massive gate recipts etc. mean that we're not the same old Arsenal who need to sell our assets ever summer to fund our stadium debt.

The future looks bright!

Fairly good season after 2 extremely poor seasons for Ramsey but tbh I think Wilshere has been better the past season but he's been unfairly scapegoated because he doesn't score as much.
Reply 4716
Original post by FKLW
You can't compare the 2 players. Bale is clearly steaks ahead and Ramsey had has one good season. He's not worth than £25 million.... Yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bale steaks ahead? Hmmmmm I don't know.

Bale couldn't fire his team into top 4 whilst Ramsey injury stopped his team from winning the league. So we can conclude with Bale= Europa league, with Ramsey= champions.

Ramsey has had 2 good seasons now.
Original post by AR_95
Why did your account get banned in the first place?

For being a total GOON.
Reply 4718
Original post by 419
Bale steaks ahead? Hmmmmm I don't know.

Bale couldn't fire his team into top 4 whilst Ramsey injury stopped his team from winning the league. So we can conclude with Bale= Europa league, with Ramsey= champions.

Ramsey has had 2 good seasons now.

When was Ramsey's first good season? Assuming few years ago, I.e before his injury?

Wrt to transfer fees front men always command a higher fee so that would he reflected in any bids. Ramsey has the potential to be world class if he keeps consistently performing like this, he showed World Class form last year but needs to keep it going.

Other point is moot because Spurs are ****, and you are not :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam278
Arsenal are contenders.

I don't think they'll come any higher than 3rd though. Honestly United are the only team I see coming above 3rd other than Chelsea and City.

But honestly City have jammed their way to another title with the best team in the league by far(compare their title wins to Uniteds 06-09 or Chelsea's and Arsenals). If they haven't clicked in the past 4 years then I don't think they'll click miraculously.

For like half a season then they drop off.

Too many individual talents in City's squad, and apparently before Pelligrini came this season there was unrest amongst the squad. Pello looks like the man to sort them out though and bring them that unity. Agree they should have walked the league this season, hopefully if we get Costa we will give them a right go next season.

Latest