The Student Room Group

Lifting noob gets strong

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Angry cucumber
You've put on some size which is awesome :biggrin:

What's up with this volume whilst benching? Over 30 reps...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers :smile:

I started with fairly low volume for chest and didn't see much growth, upped the volume and the chest gains have come, albeit slowly :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reps4Jesus
Cheers :smile:

I started with fairly low volume for chest and didn't see much growth, upped the volume and the chest gains have come, albeit slowly :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's still a tonne of volume.. 5x5 for bench is more than enough volume for chest development, if you're concerned pause all reps for 1 second.. Candito amongst others recommend it.

Seen as this is swolie season it seems on TSR... I might have to post some pics tomorrow.
Reply 82
It's still a tonne of volume.. 5x5 for bench is more than enough volume for chest development, if you're concerned pause all reps for 1 second.. Candito amongst others recommend it.

Seen as this is swolie season it seems on TSR... I might have to post some pics tomorrow.

I'll probably change to just doing 5x5 when I go to uni..there's no rack at my current gym so I'd have to clean 60-odd kilos everytime I bench haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do it
Solid noob gains

train traps more
Reply 85
Original post by tehforum
Solid noob gains

train traps more

Cheers

Haven't seen any trap growth tbh, I'll need to change something whether that's more volume or having a pause at the top

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice progress man! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Nice progress man! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks man :smile: how are the exams going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
18/5/14

Squats - 35kg (1x20)
DB Shoulder press - 15kg (3x10)
Lat pulldown - 55kg (4x6) PB
CGBP - 45kg (3x7) PB
Curls - 12.5kg x not so many then 10kg x quite a lot
Side raises - 5kg (3x15) PB
Rear delt flies - 2.5kg (3x15)

Squats were a killer, not sure how much growth I'll get with 1 set of 20 but it's better than none lol.
CGBP was really awkward because I had to clean the barbell then lie down on the bench, nearly tumbled off the side haha.
Side raises were killers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks man :smile: how are the exams going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Going okay so far. Only a few more days left, then I'm in the clear. :biggrin:
Original post by illusionz
Do it

A tad keen there

:sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
A tad keen there

:sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha I'd been out all day drinking in the sun yesterday, didn't make it out but forced myself to stay up until 4am drinking water. So glad I did today as feeling alright. Probably resulted in some odd tsr/facebook/other forum posts. Oh well :biggrin:
You need to go heavy on a barbell.

Use a hook grip and get some traps
Cheers

Haven't seen any trap growth tbh, I'll need to change something whether that's more volume or having a pause at the top

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Original post by tehforum
You need to go heavy on a barbell.

Use a hook grip and get some traps

Do you pause or do slow negatives?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Neither

Fast reps so you hold onto the bar and complete the set
Do you pause or do slow negatives?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Squats - 35kg (1x20)

Squats were a killer, not sure how much growth I'll get with 1 set of 20 but it's better than none lol.

I know people have mentioned this before but... 1x20 for squats?

When I do legs I try to aim for 8-10 reps for squats.

What's up with this volume whilst benching? Over 30 reps...

I don't see the problem with doing over 30 reps of bench press... Or any major exercise for each muscle group.

Take squats for example, I do about 7/8 sets with 8-10 reps each set.

With bench press I aim for 6-8 reps for 5/6 sets.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by pzoDe
I know people have mentioned this before but... 1x20 for squats?

When I do legs I try to aim for 8-10 reps for squats.

I don't see the problem with doing over 30 reps of bench press... Or any major exercise for each muscle group.

Take squats for example, I do about 7/8 sets with 8-10 reps each set.

With bench press I aim for 6-8 reps for 5/6 sets.

Making progress with 8-10 rep sets is hard... very hard. Hence why compounds such as bench/ squat etc are usually done with 5 reps, especially noobs. R4J is doing the best for his situation so it's fair enough tbh.
Reply 97
Yeh just trying to do what I can with squats for the next 4 months before I start uni..

I'll be curling more than I can squat by that time :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Making progress with 8-10 rep sets is hard... very hard. Hence why compounds such as bench/ squat etc are usually done with 5 reps, especially noobs. R4J is doing the best for his situation so it's fair enough tbh.

Haha fair enough, I've done myself good in my opinion. I'm not primarily looking for size though which makes a difference. It's a secondary goal, primarily I'm improving my strength and fitness. I actually quoted him because he said he saw more improvements with >30 reps contrary to your post.

Yeh just trying to do what I can with squats for the next 4 months before I start uni..

I'll be curling more than I can squat by that time :wink:

Do you play any sports, especially those with more running and contact, like rugby? I also found judo was great for my lower body and as a full body fitness session.

I do sprint intervals every day that I go to the gym and that's vastly improved my leg strength. Try running/cycling several times a week. Plyometric leg exercises are good too.

Also partly by following some of the videos on mobilityWOD (look it up) I've seriously improved my range of motion with squats, allowing myself to go really deep with more weight. Might be worth checking it out.
I used to deadlift and can't say they did anything for my traps. The best trap recruitment I get (may vary, this is just ME) is from: farmers walks, kettlebell swings, any type of powerclean movement (which is why KB swings work). I'm on the fence with shrugs but not done them enough.

My traps look minimal square on, but pretty awesome from the side. Attachments and all that vary.

Btw only when I started farmers did my squat bar position improve (through growth of traps).

Good progress. Keep it up

Sent from my HTC One

Quick Reply

Latest