The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine (A100) Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Can anyone help me decide between two offers?
I have offers from Kings College London and Liverpool.
I live in Manchester so Liverpool is really close.
Original post by Megamanshah
Can anyone help me decide between two offers?
I have offers from Kings College London and Liverpool.
I live in Manchester so Liverpool is really close.

What are you looking for from uni and from the city you live in?

Not that it matters, but the 2014 rankings rated Liverpool higher than KCL.
Original post by Student 1
What immunisation records??

Posted from TSR Mobile

??
Original post by blinky96
Hi

Could I ask a quick question of any current students at Liverpool?

I notice the student satisfaction rate is quite low - both with the course in general and level of support. Can you tell me why you think this is and whether you think the curriculum review will turn this around?

Would be very grateful to have your opinions on this

Thank you

Still really hoping for any views current students might have on this - I have two offers - one from Liverpool and one from a uni that scores very high on student satisfaction - it is this statistic that is causing me trouble when it comes to a decision.....
Thank you in anticipation
Still really hoping for any views current students might have on this - I have two offers - one from Liverpool and one from a uni that scores very high on student satisfaction - it is this statistic that is causing me trouble when it comes to a decision.....

All pbl uni's have a low satisfaction for the reason that you don't get taught much of the content. Liverpool is no longer pbl so the satisfaction rating won't be representative of the new course

Posted from TSR Mobile

As above, nobody is satisfied with the course as PBL. Change it and people won't be satisfied because things are changing. Keep it the same and well, same story; no improvement on satisfaction.

Basically, don't base university choice on satisfaction surveys. It is well known that people who are satisfied are less likely to 'spread the word'. Most of the time, you will find more negative reviews for a product than positive, simply because those who are happy with it don't bother writing; this is a changing trend, obviously.

Anyway, regardless, the course is changing and so 5 years down the line, it should show through in the scores. Until then, I advise you base your choice on other aspects.

Hey! I know how you must feel about the stats but keep in mind that they are not representative of your experience. I am more than convinced that Liverpool is an amazing university and I'm so excited to go there (hopefully) next year.

Plus I talked to some students and they were very friendly and enjoyed the course a lot ! I hope I'm helping somehow haha
:smile:
Original post by Rooroo96
Panel :smile: mine lasted about 10 mins

Posted from TSR Mobile

mine 20! but i did not see the time pass by they are so friendly :smile:
Original post by Kyalimers
What are you looking for from uni and from the city you live in?

Not that it matters, but the 2014 rankings rated Liverpool higher than KCL.

I'm thinking of firming Liverpool over Kings as the city is very similar to Manchester so I think I'll enjoy it more. I also don't fancy getting the tube to commute in kings after the first year out of halls. Will the quality of the courses be different?
Also, I've dropped my EPQ which in my personal statement I have said I am doing because of time restraints, is that going to affect me because it doesn't mention anything about it in my offer?
Thanks!
I'm thinking of firming Liverpool over Kings as the city is very similar to Manchester so I think I'll enjoy it more. I also don't fancy getting the tube to commute in kings after the first year out of halls. Will the quality of the courses be different?
Also, I've dropped my EPQ which in my personal statement I have said I am doing because of time restraints, is that going to affect me because it doesn't mention anything about it in my offer?
Thanks!

Technically Liverpool is quite different from Manchester, but that is not to say this is a negative. For sure, size wise and population wise, it is not dissimilar but you will notice a lot of differences once you roam around the city. Personally, I'm a huge Manchester fan but the Liverpool docks (or some parts of it) are breathtaking and the L1 shopping area is as good as any.

In terms of the quality of courses, one cannot really say as the curriculum at Liverpool is being overhauled starting this September. From what we do know, however; it looks like a better course which should provide better quality of teaching.

As long as your EPQ forms no part of your offer, it should not matter.
Original post by Kyalimers
Technically Liverpool is quite different from Manchester, but that is not to say this is a negative. For sure, size wise and population wise, it is not dissimilar but you will notice a lot of differences once you roam around the city. Personally, I'm a huge Manchester fan but the Liverpool docks (or some parts of it) are breathtaking and the L1 shopping area is as good as any.

In terms of the quality of courses, one cannot really say as the curriculum at Liverpool is being overhauled starting this September. From what we do know, however; it looks like a better course which should provide better quality of teaching.

As long as your EPQ forms no part of your offer, it should not matter.

When I went for my interview, the main centre of the city isn't far from the university and is set out quite like Manchester. I like the city feel, but I feel I wouldn't like London simply due to how busy it will be.
But thank you for the advice
Thanks!

You know that you'd have to do a fair bit of commuting to university (depending on where you live) and to hospitals as well, right? But I guess it won't be anything like cramming onto the Northern line in the morning :P

Like Kyalimers said, it's difficult to comment on course quality. But in my opinion anatomy wise KCL looks pretty great.
Thanks!

I started EPQ in October and dropped it in January- before dropping it I called up, and then emailed the unis that I've applied to, asking whether it would affect my application. Liverpool replied with this:

Dear ----

Thanks for your email. As long as you have a 4th independent as level and can meet the terms of any offer made then that is sufficient.

Best wishes

Admissions Office

In other words, they don't care about EPQ as long as you have 3 A-Levels, and an AS-Level with minimum grade B.
How is everyone getting on with revision? Finding it so hard to keep motivated and stick to my plan :frown:
Original post by Rumschpringe
How is everyone getting on with revision? Finding it so hard to keep motivated and stick to my plan :frown:

Every time I think like this, I just think about all the work I've had to do to get the offer, how it'll feel actually starting in September (!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: ) and (horrible thought) seeing UCAS track say 'unsuccessful' on results day..
Original post by Student 1
Every time I think like this, I just think about all the work I've had to do to get the offer, how it'll feel actually starting in September (!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: ) and (horrible thought) seeing UCAS track say 'unsuccessful' on results day..

Tbf as I missed the grades last August I definitely don't want that happening again :redface:
Liverpool or bristol :frown: can not decide and I don't have long left

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Make a list of positives and negatives and what is important to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How has your UCAS deadline not passed yet...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Helloooo I was just wondering who else had firmed Liverpool and what accomodation people have applied for? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending